IE7 crawls after XP SP3 update

MSWizard Vinay

IE7 crawls after XP SP3 update
Problem:
I was running XP Pro SP2 with IE7 and WMP11 with no issues. As part of
automatic updates, I installed SP3. Since then I noticed that IE7 slowed down
drastically.
Remarks:
I have both IE7 and Firefox 2 and Firefox is normal. I have a very fast
broadband internet and for example downloaded some ISO CD images using IE7 in
just minute before SP3s. However now it wont load Microsoft update even after
10 mins. USing IE to access Google is a bit better and just manages to load.
But Firefox is still very fast.
Steps taken:
First I tried to uninstall IE7 in the hope that re-installation would fix
the issue. I found that I was unable to uninstall as the option was grayed
out in Add Remove.
So I did a repair install using a slipstreamed XP SP3 CD which did not
contain IE7 since SP3 doesn't include it. After that, IE6 had no issues and
was very fast.

Automatic update kicked in and downloaded and installed a bunch of patches
including IE7. So again I had the same problem as before. However, I was able
to uninstall IE7 this time.

After uninstalling IE7 I decided to simply patch IE6 and avoid IE7
temporarily. However after a security roundup update for IE6, the next time I
used Microsft update from the start menu, I found to my surprise that IE6 was
opening as a small blank IE6 Window and Firefox was opening and going to the
update webpage. Clicking on the home button in the IE6 window opened the
default MS page in firefox. This is the craziest thing I have seen to date...

After that I uninstalled IE7 and installed IE7 file that I downloaded
instead of from automatic update. This brings me back to square 1. IE7 is so
slow that it is almost unusable. Firefox is absolutely fine. I cannot do any
updates.

Any pointers would be appreciated. At this point, I have no option but to do
a repair install using XP SP2 and downgrade my system.

Re: IE7 crawls after XP SP3 update
If you must make identical posts to multiple newsgroups, please cross-post
one (1) message to all of them. Thank you.

Multiposting vs Crossposting:

See
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ceaa8b74669622

[My apologies for not crossposting my original reply to IE General.]