IE7 Uninstall: No remove button

Albanez

IE7 Uninstall: No remove button
Dear MS MVPs,

I'm trying to uninstall IE7, the latest version of the final release (no
beta) for XP, but there is no "Remove" button in Conttrol Panel>Add/Remove
Programs, even with the Show Updates box checked.

This may be because I installed the version specifically for "XP Home SP2
users" before I installed XP SP3, but I'm not positive. I tried to install
the latest version over the top to see if that would bring the button back,
but no luck there.

I also tried Add/Remove Windows Components, but that just disables IE.

In any case, how can get a clean uninstall without a Remove button?

And for the record, I like IE7 now that it's past it's beta phase. (Note
that I never installed the beta on this machine). I'm just trying to get rid
of a Fullscreen bug that seemed to come with SP3, by ensuring a clean
uninstall/reinstall. Any suggestions?
Bruce Hagen

Re: IE7 Uninstall: No remove button
Look under "W" for Windows Internet Explorer 7.

Uninstall or install any program like this with no anti-virus, anti-spyware
program running.

For SP3:

If SP3 was downloaded with an anti-virus, or anti-spyware, program running,
you may have a bad installation.

From: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../cc164204.aspx

* If the configuration of your antivirus software prevents certain system
files from being changed, SP3 installation might fail. Try temporarily
disabling your antivirus software. You can usually do this by right-clicking
your antivirus program icon (which typically appears in the bottom
right-hand corner of the computer screen) and clicking Disable.

* If you disable your antivirus software before you install the service
pack, be sure that you are aware of the risks involved, and be sure to
enable it after the service pack is installed.

Remove SP3 via Add/Remove Programs, reboot and download and install it
again. Before you do, turn off your anti-virus and any anti-spyware programs
such as Windows Defender. If you use a third party firewall, disable it and
turn on the Windows Firewall in the Control Panel for the installation. Once
SP3 is in and working, you can enable the third party firewall and turn of
the Windows Firewall. Do not keep both running.

Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 here:

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support for Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...prid=11273&gpr
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Albanez" <Albanez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear MS MVPs,
>
> I'm trying to uninstall IE7, the latest version of the final release (no
> beta) for XP, but there is no "Remove" button in Conttrol Panel>Add/Remove
> Programs, even with the Show Updates box checked.
>
> This may be because I installed the version specifically for "XP Home SP2
> users" before I installed XP SP3, but I'm not positive. I tried to install
> the latest version over the top to see if that would bring the button
> back,
> but no luck there.
>
> I also tried Add/Remove Windows Components, but that just disables IE.
>
> In any case, how can get a clean uninstall without a Remove button?
>
> And for the record, I like IE7 now that it's past it's beta phase. (Note
> that I never installed the beta on this machine). I'm just trying to get
> rid
> of a Fullscreen bug that seemed to come with SP3, by ensuring a clean
> uninstall/reinstall. Any suggestions?

Re: IE7 Uninstall: No remove button
See this discussion:

The only way to uninstall IE7 now is to first uninstall WinXP SP3.

> ...I'm just trying to get rid
> of a Fullscreen bug that seemed to come with SP3

What Fullscreen bug?

=> Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
or

2. Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

=> Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

> Look under "W" for Windows Internet Explorer 7.

Is that supposed to be a joke? Bite me.

I hope Microsoft doesn't pay you directly. If so, they sure got their
money's worth when they hired you
Albanez

Re: IE7 Uninstall: No remove button
Now this post, on the other hand, is helpful and non-condescending. The way a
REAL pro would handle someone's question. Boy, that Bruce is just
Johnny-on-the-spot with worthless info, ain't he? Just keep assuming everyone
but you is an idiot, Bruce. I'm sure people just love you.

And PA Bear, here's a link to the Fullscreen bug I encountered:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...547&sloc=en-us

Also, disabling add-ons was the first thing I tried, and the bug was still
there.

Bruce Hagen

Re: IE7 Uninstall: No remove button
Bite me, moron! No one here is employed by MS. We are people just like you
that volunteer our time to help. We all have lives of our own, and no income
from MS.

Do you know how many times people have not found IE7 in Add/Remove because
they never checked for Windows Internet Explorer 7, but only Internet
Explorer 7?

Welcome to my kill-file.
--

> "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
>
>> Look under "W" for Windows Internet Explorer 7.

> Is that supposed to be a joke? Bite me.
>
> I hope Microsoft doesn't pay you directly. If so, they sure got their
> money's worth when they hired you

Re: IE7 Uninstall: No remove button
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.]

Albanez wrote:
> Now this post, on the other hand, is helpful and non-condescending...

Albanez

Re: IE7 Uninstall: No remove button
I bet you at least check back to see what my reply to you is, freak.

Here's a clue. Try not to insult the people you purportedly are trying to
HELP!

DUH. I'm glad you don't get paid, cuz you SUUUUCK.

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

> Bite me, moron! No one here is employed by MS. We are people just like you
> that volunteer our time to help. We all have lives of our own, and no income
> from MS.
>
> Do you know how many times people have not found IE7 in Add/Remove because
> they never checked for Windows Internet Explorer 7, but only Internet
> Explorer 7?
>
> Welcome to my kill-file.
> --
>
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP Outlook Express
> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Albanez" <Albanez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
> >
> >> Look under "W" for Windows Internet Explorer 7.

> > Is that supposed to be a joke? Bite me.
> >
> > I hope Microsoft doesn't pay you directly. If so, they sure got their
> > money's worth when they hired you

Re: IE7 Uninstall: No remove button
<plonk>

Albanez wrote:
> I bet you at least check back to see what my reply to you is, freak.
>
> Here's a clue. Try not to insult the people you purportedly are trying to
> HELP!
>
> DUH. I'm glad you don't get paid, cuz you SUUUUCK.
>
> "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
>
>> Bite me, moron! No one here is employed by MS. We are people just like
>> you
>> that volunteer our time to help. We all have lives of our own, and no
>> income from MS.
>>
>> Do you know how many times people have not found IE7 in Add/Remove
>> because
>> they never checked for Windows Internet Explorer 7, but only Internet
>> Explorer 7?
>>
>> Welcome to my kill-file.
>> --
>>
>> Bruce Hagen
>> MS-MVP Outlook Express
>> Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "Albanez" <Albanez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Is that supposed to be a joke? Bite me.
>>>
>>> I hope Microsoft doesn't pay you directly. If so, they sure got their
>>> money's worth when they hired you

Albanez

Re: IE7 Uninstall: No remove button
PA Bear,
Point taken. Just trying to avoid clutter and wasted bits.

I would love to get rid of this fullscreen bug though...