Opening Word attachments

Will Rogers99

Opening Word attachments
Recently I have found some Word attachments will not open. Clicking on the
attachments steps to the usual first window with open - save choices,
clicking either moves on to the 2nd window with the flying page, but no
progress bar or time to finish value, it just flys the page with no further
action. Other types of attachments open including pdf. This has been
happening for the last ~6 weeks, it was not a problem before.

OS is XP with service pack 3, Word is old 97. It may be Vista sourced Word
docs that are the problem but I cannot confirm that.

Thanks for any help.
Allan

Re: Opening Word attachments

"Will Rogers99" <WillRogers99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently I have found some Word attachments will not open. Clicking on
> the
> attachments steps to the usual first window with open - save choices,
> clicking either moves on to the 2nd window with the flying page, but no
> progress bar or time to finish value, it just flys the page with no
> further
> action. Other types of attachments open including pdf. This has been
> happening for the last ~6 weeks, it was not a problem before.
>
> OS is XP with service pack 3, Word is old 97. It may be Vista sourced
> Word
> docs that are the problem but I cannot confirm that.

Most word attachments are in Office Word 2003 format, if not 2007. Why don't
you install the free Office Word 2003 viewer? This is what I use on the
computer I am using right now.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...9-ab826e7b8fdf

--
Allan

Will Rogers99

Re: Opening Word attachments
Good thought, I downloaded the Office Word Viewer, the file format converter
and the
Compatability SP1 for good measure. Some Word will still not open. A
recent PDF had the same "flying page only" symptom so I downloaded the latest
Adobe Reader 9, but that did not change the result; other PDF files opened
with the AR9 so that is working.

Does this point to a Windows Internet Explorer problem rather than the
downstream reader program?

> Good thought, I downloaded the Office Word Viewer, the file format
> converter
> and the
> Compatability SP1 for good measure. Some Word will still not open. A
> recent PDF had the same "flying page only" symptom so I downloaded the
> latest
> Adobe Reader 9, but that did not change the result; other PDF files opened
> with the AR9 so that is working.
>
> Does this point to a Windows Internet Explorer problem rather than the
> downstream reader program?

Can you save the attachments and open them directly in Word Viewer, and have
you applied all updates from Auto Updates or MS Update after installing
Office Word 2003 viewer? I am not sure that the file format converter or the
compatibility SP1 apply to the viewer. Maybe some day they will release a
Word 2007 viewer.

--
Allan

Will Rogers99

Re: Opening Word attachments
Saving, rather than opening, attachments was the first thing I tried before I
posted this plea, but the save and open functions both give the same result,
the flying page but no progress bar or time to completion value, and nothing
opens. It is definitely not all Word documents, I have received recent
e-mails with Word attachments that I can open, and other e-mails with
attachments that I can't open.

I have updated all my programs and have Auto Update active, so it should all
be current.

> Saving, rather than opening, attachments was the first thing I tried
> before I
> posted this plea, but the save and open functions both give the same
> result,
> the flying page but no progress bar or time to completion value, and
> nothing
> opens. It is definitely not all Word documents, I have received recent
> e-mails with Word attachments that I can open, and other e-mails with
> attachments that I can't open.
>
> I have updated all my programs and have Auto Update active, so it should
> all
> be current.

I download my emails to Earthlink Mailbox client and I have not had this
problem at all. I try to nudge my friends to send attachments as .pdf's
rather than Word 2003 .doc's if possible.

Inquisiitor

Re: Opening Word attachments
Will - I too am having the same problem but it also includes some .xls and
..doc attachments as well as .pdf. I am using XP SP3 with all updates, IE 7,
Office 2007 with all updates and Adobe Reader 7.