ie7 slow fix question?

iyq

ie7 slow fix question?
winxp/sp3/DSL/ie7
Tried many great tips that did not solve my problem. I can now bring my
ie7 up to speed if I open Task Manager...(end task for)...searchindexer.exe &
svchost.exe (network service). They almost immeditaley re-start...cpu usage
drop to about 2%, but now ie7 works without problem until I re-boot.
Guessing I have some corrupt DLL's? Do I need this searchindexer? Hoping
some nerd with ie7 problem checks this out, and lets us all know.

Hope this may help others
--
If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.
VanguardLH

Re: ie7 slow fix question?
iyq wrote:

> winxp/sp3/DSL/ie7 Tried many great tips that did not solve my problem.
> I can now bring my ie7 up to speed if I open Task Manager...(end
> task for)...searchindexer.exe & svchost.exe (network service). They
> almost immeditaley re-start...cpu usage drop to about 2%, but now ie7
> works without problem until I re-boot. Guessing I have some corrupt
> DLL's? Do I need this searchindexer? Hoping some nerd with ie7
> problem checks this out, and lets us all know.
>
> Hope this may help others

Well, what file indexing product did you install or enable (Google
Desktop, Windows Search, CoperNic, indexing service included with
Windows)?

If you do a file search on "searchindexer.exe", in what folder do you
find it? When you right-click on the file, Properties, Version tab,
who made it and what's its program name?

Have you yet tried loading IE7 in its no add-ons mode to ensure you
didn't install a helper app that is slowing IE7?
iyq

Re: ie7 slow fix question?
Ty VanguardLH
I have never installed an index service that I am aware of. My computer
is very clean, and do have very layered security. Recent events: added
external hard drive...removed Comodo Firewall...installed ZoneAlarm..,,,

Nerd info:

C:\WINDOWS\system32

searchindexer
Type of file: Application
Descirption: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer

File Version: 7.0.6001.16503 (longhorn(wmbla).080526-2159)
Internal Name: SearchIndexer.exe
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 7.0.6001.16503

searchindexer.exe.mui
Type of file: MUI File
Opens with: Unknown application

File Version: 7.0.6001.16503 (longhorn(wmbla).080526-2159)
Internal Name: SearchIndexer.exe
Original File Name: SearchIndexer.exe.mui
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 7.0.6001.16503

C:\WINDOWS\system32\en-us

searchindexer.exe.mui
Type of file: MUI File
Opens with: Unknown application

File Version: 7.0.6001.16503 (longhorn(wmbla).080526-2159)
Internal Name: SearchIndexer.exe
Original File Name: SearchIndexer.exe.mui
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 7.0.6001.16503

Good to know that I can now make ie7 work without problem. I have again
enabled all add-on, and still no problems.
Bus that I do not know why this works, and must be done everytime I re-start
my computer.
tyvm again
--

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> iyq wrote:
>
> > winxp/sp3/DSL/ie7 Tried many great tips that did not solve my problem.
> > I can now bring my ie7 up to speed if I open Task Manager...(end
> > task for)...searchindexer.exe & svchost.exe (network service). They
> > almost immeditaley re-start...cpu usage drop to about 2%, but now ie7
> > works without problem until I re-boot. Guessing I have some corrupt
> > DLL's? Do I need this searchindexer? Hoping some nerd with ie7
> > problem checks this out, and lets us all know.
> >
> > Hope this may help others

> Well, what file indexing product did you install or enable (Google
> Desktop, Windows Search, CoperNic, indexing service included with
> Windows)?
>
> If you do a file search on "searchindexer.exe", in what folder do you
> find it? When you right-click on the file, Properties, Version tab,
> who made it and what's its program name?
>
> Have you yet tried loading IE7 in its no add-ons mode to ensure you
> didn't install a helper app that is slowing IE7?

Donald Anadell

Re: ie7 slow fix question?

"iyq" <iyq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ty VanguardLH

> I have never installed an index service that I am aware of.

Maybe a Beta MS Office product?
Maybe Windows Desktop Search?
Maybe MSN Search Toolbar(with WDS)

See:
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...01681&SiteID=1

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> My computer
> is very clean, and do have very layered security. Recent events: added
> external hard drive...removed Comodo Firewall...installed ZoneAlarm..,,,
>
> Nerd info:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32
>
> searchindexer
> Type of file: Application
> Descirption: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer
>
> File Version: 7.0.6001.16503 (longhorn(wmbla).080526-2159)
> Internal Name: SearchIndexer.exe
> Product Name: Microsoft Windows Operating System
> Product Version: 7.0.6001.16503
>
> searchindexer.exe.mui
> Type of file: MUI File
> Opens with: Unknown application
>
> File Version: 7.0.6001.16503 (longhorn(wmbla).080526-2159)
> Internal Name: SearchIndexer.exe
> Original File Name: SearchIndexer.exe.mui
> Product Name: Microsoft Windows Operating System
> Product Version: 7.0.6001.16503
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\en-us
>
> searchindexer.exe.mui
> Type of file: MUI File
> Opens with: Unknown application
>
> File Version: 7.0.6001.16503 (longhorn(wmbla).080526-2159)
> Internal Name: SearchIndexer.exe
> Original File Name: SearchIndexer.exe.mui
> Product Name: Microsoft Windows Operating System
> Product Version: 7.0.6001.16503
>

> Good to know that I can now make ie7 work without problem. I have again
> enabled all add-on, and still no problems.
> Bus that I do not know why this works, and must be done everytime I
> re-start
> my computer.
> tyvm again
> --
> If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.
>

> "VanguardLH" wrote:
>
>> iyq wrote:
>>
>> > winxp/sp3/DSL/ie7 Tried many great tips that did not solve my problem.
>> > I can now bring my ie7 up to speed if I open Task Manager...(end
>> > task for)...searchindexer.exe & svchost.exe (network service). They
>> > almost immeditaley re-start...cpu usage drop to about 2%, but now ie7
>> > works without problem until I re-boot. Guessing I have some corrupt
>> > DLL's? Do I need this searchindexer? Hoping some nerd with ie7
>> > problem checks this out, and lets us all know.
>> >
>> > Hope this may help others

>> Well, what file indexing product did you install or enable (Google
>> Desktop, Windows Search, CoperNic, indexing service included with
>> Windows)?
>>
>> If you do a file search on "searchindexer.exe", in what folder do you
>> find it? When you right-click on the file, Properties, Version tab,
>> who made it and what's its program name?
>>
>> Have you yet tried loading IE7 in its no add-ons mode to ensure you
>> didn't install a helper app that is slowing IE7?

Re: ie7 slow fix question?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

iyq wrote:
> winxp/sp3/DSL/ie7
> Tried many great tips that did not solve my problem. I can now bring my
> ie7 up to speed if I open Task Manager...(end task
> for)...searchindexer.exe
> & svchost.exe (network service). They almost immeditaley re-start...cpu
> usage drop to about 2%, but now ie7 works without problem until I re-boot.
> Guessing I have some corrupt DLL's? Do I need this searchindexer?
> Hoping
> some nerd with ie7 problem checks this out, and lets us all know.
>
> Hope this may help others

iyq

Re: ie7 slow fix question?
WinXP/sp3/dsl/ie7

Hi Donald Anadell
This may have came with my MS Office???
I have now disabled the searchindexer, and no ill effects yet...lol. Still
have problem with svchost.exe (network service). cpu usage 100%.
I notice there are 2, and one is used for somthing like "Remote Computer
Call" the other is unknow so far. Once I end the process for the 2nd
svchost.exe (network service) everything works great!!!
Cpu usage goes back to normal...ie7 works without problem...no more
operation incomplete messages. The entire system just runs better.

Still happy that I can make it work, but do wish I understood why.

P.S. I did try svchost repir for sp2, but will not work with sp3?
Suggestions welcome
tyvm iyq

--

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> "iyq" <iyq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ty VanguardLH

> > I have never installed an index service that I am aware of.

> Maybe a Beta MS Office product?
> Maybe Windows Desktop Search?
> Maybe MSN Search Toolbar(with WDS)
>
> See:
> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...01681&SiteID=1
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

> > My computer
> > is very clean, and do have very layered security. Recent events: added
> > external hard drive...removed Comodo Firewall...installed ZoneAlarm..,,,
> >
> > Nerd info:
> >
> > C:\WINDOWS\system32
> >
> > searchindexer
> > Type of file: Application
> > Descirption: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer
> >
> > File Version: 7.0.6001.16503 (longhorn(wmbla).080526-2159)
> > Internal Name: SearchIndexer.exe
> > Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
> > Product Version: 7.0.6001.16503
> >
> > searchindexer.exe.mui
> > Type of file: MUI File
> > Opens with: Unknown application
> >
> > File Version: 7.0.6001.16503 (longhorn(wmbla).080526-2159)
> > Internal Name: SearchIndexer.exe
> > Original File Name: SearchIndexer.exe.mui
> > Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
> > Product Version: 7.0.6001.16503
> >
> > C:\WINDOWS\system32\en-us
> >
> > searchindexer.exe.mui
> > Type of file: MUI File
> > Opens with: Unknown application
> >
> > File Version: 7.0.6001.16503 (longhorn(wmbla).080526-2159)
> > Internal Name: SearchIndexer.exe
> > Original File Name: SearchIndexer.exe.mui
> > Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
> > Product Version: 7.0.6001.16503
> >

> > Good to know that I can now make ie7 work without problem. I have again
> > enabled all add-on, and still no problems.
> > Bus that I do not know why this works, and must be done everytime I
> > re-start
> > my computer.
> > tyvm again
> > --
> > If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

> >> Well, what file indexing product did you install or enable (Google
> >> Desktop, Windows Search, CoperNic, indexing service included with
> >> Windows)?
> >>
> >> If you do a file search on "searchindexer.exe", in what folder do you
> >> find it? When you right-click on the file, Properties, Version tab,
> >> who made it and what's its program name?
> >>
> >> Have you yet tried loading IE7 in its no add-ons mode to ensure you
> >> didn't install a helper app that is slowing IE7?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: ie7 slow fix question?
(cross-post added to XP Perf & Maint)
> winxp/sp3/DSL/ie7
> Tried many great tips that did not solve my problem.

Such as? How much real memory do you have?
How much virtual memory is committed?

> I can now bring my ie7 up to speed if I open Task Manager...
> (end task for)...searchindexer.exe & svchost.exe (network service).

> They almost immeditaley re-start...

That is a poor way to control Windows Search (assuming that's what
you're looking at.) And as you note something makes it restart anyway.

BTW I think you should check to see what it is that you are also killing
if you are terminating an svchost.exe... (E.g. in a cmd window enter:

tasklist /svc /fi "Imagename eq svchost.exe"

and read the services listed with the PID you are about to stop.
Or do something equivalent with Process Explorer.)

What I do to make WS an on-demand function is disable its service.
Then when I need to use it I enable it and start it. I actually do this via the
cmd window's command line but you could do equivalent things using
the Control Panel's Services applet (for example.)

Otherwise this is what I use to start WS:

sc config wsearch start= demand
net start wsearch

and this stops it (so it won't automatically restart):

sc config wsearch start= disabled
net stop wsearch

> cpu usage
> drop to about 2%, but now ie7 works without problem until I re-boot.
> Guessing I have some corrupt DLL's?

More likely you don't have enough real memory to qualify for using Vista.
(I think offering WS on XP is a ploy to make us think we have underpowered
machines so we're more likely to upgrade them and thus switch to Vista. <w>)
or you have too many other apps running which is resulting in "thrashing"
(a technical term regarding memory management and misuse of
its page file(s) in particular) in which case you should either control
what you have running or install more memory.

> Do I need this searchindexer? Hoping
> some nerd with ie7 problem checks this out, and lets us all know.

WS is handy for searching Mail and News messages.
Otherwise I prefer Search Companion (which WS makes
much harder to access.) E.g. press Win-F and scroll to
the link at the bottom of the WS window instead of the
more conventional, more convenient methods of starting
Search Companion.

> Hope this may help others
> --
> If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Gerry

Re: ie7 slow fix question?
Robert

http://james.revillini.com/2008/01/2...rchindexerexe/

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> (cross-post added to XP Perf & Maint)
> "iyq" <iyq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> winxp/sp3/DSL/ie7
>> Tried many great tips that did not solve my problem.

> Such as? How much real memory do you have?
> How much virtual memory is committed?
>

>> I can now bring my ie7 up to speed if I open Task Manager...
>> (end task for)...searchindexer.exe & svchost.exe (network service).

>> They almost immeditaley re-start...

> That is a poor way to control Windows Search (assuming that's what
> you're looking at.) And as you note something makes it restart
> anyway.
> BTW I think you should check to see what it is that you are also
> killing if you are terminating an svchost.exe... (E.g. in a cmd
> window
> enter:
> tasklist /svc /fi "Imagename eq svchost.exe"
>
> and read the services listed with the PID you are about to stop.
> Or do something equivalent with Process Explorer.)
>

> What I do to make WS an on-demand function is disable its service.
> Then when I need to use it I enable it and start it. I actually do
> this via the cmd window's command line but you could do equivalent
> things using the Control Panel's Services applet (for example.)
>
> Otherwise this is what I use to start WS:
>
> sc config wsearch start= demand
> net start wsearch
>
> and this stops it (so it won't automatically restart):
>
> sc config wsearch start= disabled
> net stop wsearch
>

>> cpu usage
>> drop to about 2%, but now ie7 works without problem until I re-boot.
>> Guessing I have some corrupt DLL's?

> More likely you don't have enough real memory to qualify for using
> Vista. (I think offering WS on XP is a ploy to make us think we have
> underpowered machines so we're more likely to upgrade them and thus
> switch to Vista. <w>) or you have too many other apps running which is
> resulting in
> "thrashing" (a technical term regarding memory management and misuse
> of its page file(s) in particular) in which case you should either
> control what you have running or install more memory.
>

>> Do I need this searchindexer? Hoping
>> some nerd with ie7 problem checks this out, and lets us all know.

> WS is handy for searching Mail and News messages.
> Otherwise I prefer Search Companion (which WS makes
> much harder to access.) E.g. press Win-F and scroll to
> the link at the bottom of the WS window instead of the
> more conventional, more convenient methods of starting
> Search Companion.
>

>> Hope this may help others
>> --
>> If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

nass

Re: ie7 slow fix question?

I Never Know you have a nice Voice Gerry LOL
Killing me softly with his songs...

Regards,
nass

"Gerry" wrote:

> [...]

> > switch to Vista. <w>) or you have too many other apps running which is
> > resulting in
> > "thrashing" (a technical term regarding memory management and misuse
> > of its page file(s) in particular) in which case you should either
> > control what you have running or install more memory.
> >

> >> Do I need this searchindexer? Hoping
> >> some nerd with ie7 problem checks this out, and lets us all know.

> > WS is handy for searching Mail and News messages.
> > Otherwise I prefer Search Companion (which WS makes
> > much harder to access.) E.g. press Win-F and scroll to
> > the link at the bottom of the WS window instead of the
> > more conventional, more convenient methods of starting
> > Search Companion.
> >

> >> Hope this may help others
> >> --
> >> If things get any worse, I'll have to ask you to stop helping me.

Leonard Grey

Re: ie7 slow fix question?
Murphy's back.
---