IE7 sticks on links

dcw

IE7 sticks on links
I have a problem following links in IE7. When I first hit 'GO' to a URL, IE
often hangs - I have to hit 'STOP' and 'Retry'. It acts like the initial
read after POST is failing. Fast websites seem more prone to stick than slow
ones. I have tried turning off AV & Anti-Spyware, purged history, and done
a full reset in the browser options. Firefox does not seem to have this
problem on my machine.

Is there a fix for this behavior? I think it started with one of the
security updates in the Fall of 2007.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 sticks on links
This is frequently caused by an incompatible browser add-on. The
troubleshooting steps described below will help you to diagnose and fix
the problem:

How to Optimize or Reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/

(Give the Guided Help a try.)

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
viruses or other malicious software.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

dcw wrote:
> I have a problem following links in IE7. When I first hit 'GO' to a URL, IE
> often hangs - I have to hit 'STOP' and 'Retry'. It acts like the initial
> read after POST is failing. Fast websites seem more prone to stick than slow
> ones. I have tried turning off AV & Anti-Spyware, purged history, and done
> a full reset in the browser options. Firefox does not seem to have this
> problem on my machine.
>
> Is there a fix for this behavior? I think it started with one of the
> security updates in the Fall of 2007.

dcw

Re: IE7 sticks on links
Thanks for the response. I had seen that KB article before. I went through
it again (except for the full reset of IE) with no improvement.

I checked out the Manage Add-ons. I had everything disabled except for
Flash player. I deleted and reinstalled Flash player and re-enabled a couple
of Java pieces and 'Research' so that it looks like another XP-Pro machine I
have here. No change.

I should mention couple more symptoms.
1) I have a bunch of Outlook accounts on 3 different POP3
servers/providers. It is set to read them every 10 minutes or so. At least
once a day it gets stuck with a transmission error. It always retries with
no problem. The other workstation on the same gateway and router does not do
this.

2) When I have been having a miserable browsing experience with busy, slow
websites, lots of manual resets, things degenerate to the point that the
website is unviewable. Sometimes clearing the local cache helps, sometimes
not. Rebooting Windows seems to help alot.

3) I have changed the NIC twice. Each time I changed, things would get
better for awhile and then degenerate again after a few hours.

4) This started under IE6. I upgraded to IE7, sacrificing one useful
application that was IE version dependant. The problem remained.

I still prefer IE to Firefox, so I haven't set FF to the default browser.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

dcw