Re: IE 7 vs IE 6

[X-post to IE General]

Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file |
open the Version tab: What version is displayed here?

Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and seek
support in this newsgroup:

PS: Have you told JoAnn that you've gotten OE working again?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Joy wrote:
<snip>
> After my hard drive was reformatted using the Restore disk, I now have IE
> 6
> and OE 6. Previously I had IE 7 (but OE 6). So my computer tech
> downloaded (we thought!) IE 7. However, when I looked at it, it was
> still
> IE 6! It's not a big deal (I can revert to using 6, but had gotten
> used to 7). Anyone know why this happened? And/or how I can upgrade
> to 7?

Joy

Re: IE 7 vs IE 6
Yes, I told her, and thanked her! (It wasn't the whole OE, just the NGs)

In Win Explorer, following that path, there isn't any IEXPLORE.EXE under
Internet Explorer. However, if I go to IE itself - Help - About IE, it says
Version 6.0

> [X-post to IE General]
>
> Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file
> |
> open the Version tab: What version is displayed here?
>
> Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
> seek
> support in this newsgroup:
>
> PS: Have you told JoAnn that you've gotten OE working again?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Joy wrote:
> <snip>
>> After my hard drive was reformatted using the Restore disk, I now have IE
>> 6
>> and OE 6. Previously I had IE 7 (but OE 6). So my computer tech
>> downloaded (we thought!) IE 7. However, when I looked at it, it was
>> still
>> IE 6! It's not a big deal (I can revert to using 6, but had gotten
>> used to 7). Anyone know why this happened? And/or how I can upgrade
>> to 7?

Joy

Re: IE 7 vs IE 6
Yes, I told her, and thanked her! (It wasn't the whole OE, just the NGs)

In Win Explorer, following that path, there isn't any IEXPLORE.EXE under
Internet Explorer. However, if I go to IE itself - Help - About IE, it says
Version 6.0

> [X-post to IE General]
>
> Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file
> |
> open the Version tab: What version is displayed here?
>
> Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
> seek
> support in this newsgroup:
>
> PS: Have you told JoAnn that you've gotten OE working again?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Joy wrote:
> <snip>
>> After my hard drive was reformatted using the Restore disk, I now have IE
>> 6
>> and OE 6. Previously I had IE 7 (but OE 6). So my computer tech
>> downloaded (we thought!) IE 7. However, when I looked at it, it was
>> still
>> IE 6! It's not a big deal (I can revert to using 6, but had gotten
>> used to 7). Anyone know why this happened? And/or how I can upgrade
>> to 7?

Re: IE 7 vs IE 6
1. Enable Show Hidden Files & Folders (though it's usually not necessary):
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial62.html

2. Look again. (That path assumes Windows is installed on your C: drive.)

3. If you right-click on the IE icon on your desktop, is there a "Start
without Add-ons" option?

[I was the "OE expert" who was helping JoAnn help you.]
--
~PA Bear

Joy wrote:
> Yes, I told her, and thanked her! (It wasn't the whole OE, just the NGs)
>
> In Win Explorer, following that path, there isn't any IEXPLORE.EXE under
> Internet Explorer. However, if I go to IE itself - Help - About IE, it
> says
> Version 6.0

>> [X-post to IE General]
>>
>> Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this
>> file
>>>

>> open the Version tab: What version is displayed here?
>>
>> Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
>> seek
>> support in this newsgroup:
>>
>> PS: Have you told JoAnn that you've gotten OE working again?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Joy wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> After my hard drive was reformatted using the Restore disk, I now have
>>> IE
>>> 6
>>> and OE 6. Previously I had IE 7 (but OE 6). So my computer tech
>>> downloaded (we thought!) IE 7. However, when I looked at it, it was
>>> still
>>> IE 6! It's not a big deal (I can revert to using 6, but had gotten
>>> used to 7). Anyone know why this happened? And/or how I can upgrade
>>> to 7?

Re: IE 7 vs IE 6
[Follow-up] If you determine that IE7 is not, in fact, installed, see this
required reading (IMHO) before installing IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP!
(ignore any references to Vista)

And I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update. [If Windows Update
offers the machine IE7, it's not installed.]

Alternately, use this Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update (Select CUSTOM & scan)
immediately after installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered.
If Optional Software Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I
recommend installing it to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
[1]

IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

=======================
[1] If you find that all updates fail to install, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
--
~PA Bear

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> 1. Enable Show Hidden Files & Folders (though it's usually not necessary):
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial62.html
>
> 2. Look again. (That path assumes Windows is installed on your C: drive.)
>
> 3. If you right-click on the IE icon on your desktop, is there a "Start
> without Add-ons" option?
>
> [I was the "OE expert" who was helping JoAnn help you.]
>
> Joy wrote:
>> Yes, I told her, and thanked her! (It wasn't the whole OE, just the
>> NGs)
>>
>> In Win Explorer, following that path, there isn't any IEXPLORE.EXE under
>> Internet Explorer. However, if I go to IE itself - Help - About IE, it
>> says
>> Version 6.0

>>> [X-post to IE General]
>>>
>>> Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this
>>> file
>>>>
>>> open the Version tab: What version is displayed here?
>>>
>>> Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
>>> seek
>>> support in this newsgroup:
>>>
>>> PS: Have you told JoAnn that you've gotten OE working again?
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>>
>>> Joy wrote:
>>> <snip>

Joy

Re: IE 7 vs IE 6
Answering your number below:

1. I went to that link and did that, all but "remove checkmark from Hide
protected operating system files. " I tried that and got a warning that
"editing that might make computer inoperable".

2. I looked again, IEXPLORE.EXE still isn't there.

3. No, that option isn't there. Might it be under Properties?

I guessed you were the "expert" when you asked me about her. <S>

> 1. Enable Show Hidden Files & Folders (though it's usually not necessary):
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial62.html
>
> 2. Look again. (That path assumes Windows is installed on your C: drive.)
>
> 3. If you right-click on the IE icon on your desktop, is there a "Start
> without Add-ons" option?
>
> [I was the "OE expert" who was helping JoAnn help you.]
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Joy wrote:
>> Yes, I told her, and thanked her! (It wasn't the whole OE, just the
>> NGs)
>>
>> In Win Explorer, following that path, there isn't any IEXPLORE.EXE under
>> Internet Explorer. However, if I go to IE itself - Help - About IE, it
>> says
>> Version 6.0

>>> [X-post to IE General]
>>>
>>> Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this
>>> file
>>>>
>>> open the Version tab: What version is displayed here?
>>>
>>> Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
>>> seek
>>> support in this newsgroup:
>>>
>>> PS: Have you told JoAnn that you've gotten OE working again?
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>>
>>> Joy wrote:
>>> <snip>

Joy

Re: IE 7 vs IE 6
Looks like a lot of reading over my head.

Wouldn't I know it's not installed by its appearance? (I HAD IE7, so I know
what it looks like and "this ain't it". <S>)

I don't know what method my computer guy used to supposedly download it.

When I had IE7 (before the hard drive reformatting a few days ago), it
wasn't something I knowingly downloaded. It apparently did it itself in
with some of the regular updates. At first I wasn't pleased because it was
so different and took some getting used to. But I did eventually get used
to it. After reading all the warnings below, I think I'd do better to just
get "re-used to" IE6!

And speaking of Windows updates, I have that shield-looking icon that
apparently goes ahead and does updates without asking me - is that wise?
Today it's been downloading who-knows-what VERY slowly (only at 14% right
now and it's been going for sometime - I have dial-up).

> [Follow-up] If you determine that IE7 is not, in fact, installed, see
> this required reading (IMHO) before installing IE7:
>
> Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
> STOP!
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install
> (ignore any references to Vista)
>
> And I strongly recommend using
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update. [If Windows Update
> offers the machine IE7, it's not installed.]
>
> Alternately, use this Direct Download link:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b
>
> Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.
>
> Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update (Select CUSTOM & scan)
> immediately after installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered.
> If Optional Software Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I
> recommend installing it to take full advantage of IE7's additional
> security. [1]
>
> IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
>
> =======================
> [1] If you find that all updates fail to install, see
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> 1. Enable Show Hidden Files & Folders (though it's usually not
>> necessary):
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial62.html
>>
>> 2. Look again. (That path assumes Windows is installed on your C:
>> drive.)
>>
>> 3. If you right-click on the IE icon on your desktop, is there a "Start
>> without Add-ons" option?
>>
>> [I was the "OE expert" who was helping JoAnn help you.]
>>
>> Joy wrote:
>>> Yes, I told her, and thanked her! (It wasn't the whole OE, just the
>>> NGs)
>>>
>>> In Win Explorer, following that path, there isn't any IEXPLORE.EXE under
>>> Internet Explorer. However, if I go to IE itself - Help - About IE, it
>>> says
>>> Version 6.0

Re: IE 7 vs IE 6
See my later, follow-up reply.

May I assume that ...\Program Files\Internet Explorer <=this folder is
present on the machine?

Joy wrote:
> Answering your number below:
>
> 1. I went to that link and did that, all but "remove checkmark from Hide
> protected operating system files. " I tried that and got a warning that
> "editing that might make computer inoperable".
>
> 2. I looked again, IEXPLORE.EXE still isn't there.
>
> 3. No, that option isn't there. Might it be under Properties?
>
> I guessed you were the "expert" when you asked me about her. <S>

>> 1. Enable Show Hidden Files & Folders (though it's usually not
>> necessary):
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial62.html
>>
>> 2. Look again. (That path assumes Windows is installed on your C:
>> drive.)
>>
>> 3. If you right-click on the IE icon on your desktop, is there a "Start
>> without Add-ons" option?
>>
>> [I was the "OE expert" who was helping JoAnn help you.]
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Joy wrote:
>>> Yes, I told her, and thanked her! (It wasn't the whole OE, just the
>>> NGs)
>>>
>>> In Win Explorer, following that path, there isn't any IEXPLORE.EXE under
>>> Internet Explorer. However, if I go to IE itself - Help - About IE, it
>>> says
>>> Version 6.0

Joy

Re: IE 7 vs IE 6
Yes, I read it, and replied.

And yes, ...\Program Files\Internet Explorer is there, it just doesn't have
that \IEXPLORER.EXE under it. Seems that adding or removing a couple of
checks added a couple of things that weren't there before, but that isn't
one of them.

> See my later, follow-up reply.
>
> May I assume that ...\Program Files\Internet Explorer <=this folder is
> present on the machine?
>
> Joy wrote:
>> Answering your number below:
>>
>> 1. I went to that link and did that, all but "remove checkmark from Hide
>> protected operating system files. " I tried that and got a warning that
>> "editing that might make computer inoperable".
>>
>> 2. I looked again, IEXPLORE.EXE still isn't there.
>>
>> 3. No, that option isn't there. Might it be under Properties?
>>
>> I guessed you were the "expert" when you asked me about her. <S>

>>> 1. Enable Show Hidden Files & Folders (though it's usually not
>>> necessary):
>>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial62.html
>>>
>>> 2. Look again. (That path assumes Windows is installed on your C:
>>> drive.)
>>>
>>> 3. If you right-click on the IE icon on your desktop, is there a "Start
>>> without Add-ons" option?
>>>
>>> [I was the "OE expert" who was helping JoAnn help you.]
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

Re: IE 7 vs IE 6
> And yes, ...\Program Files\Internet Explorer is there, it just doesn't
> have
> that \IEXPLORER.EXE under it.

The file name is IEXPLORE.EXE (only one R), not IEXPLORER.EXE.

Assuming IE Help | About does NOT list v7.0.5730.xx, IE7 is not installed.

If IE Tools | Internet Options | General (tab) does not include a section
named Tabs, IE7 is not installed.

To install IE7 manually, follow the instructions in my previous reply. (If
you paid the technician to format and reinstall WinXP *and* install IE7, you
didn't get what you paid for!)

> And speaking of Windows updates, I have that shield-looking icon that
> apparently goes ahead and does updates without asking me - is that wise?

You are running WinXP SP3 and Automatic Updates (AU) is enabled by default.
AU's default setting is Automatic but if you're seeing that shield-looking
icon and have not also seen a prompt asking you to choose which updates you
want to download, chances are that AU is configured to the Download but
Notify setting ("Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install
them"). See this KB article:

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in WinXP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

> Today [AU has] been downloading who-knows-what VERY slowly (only at 14%
> right
> now and it's been going for sometime - I have dial-up).

Depending on when you got the machine back from the shop, AU may be
downloading the installer for IE7 and/or the security updates that were
released earlier this month (i.e., 09 Sept-08; see
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=35913).

If the Download but Notify setting is selected:

1. AU will prompt you to select which updates you want to install, once the
downloading has completed.

2. If the installer for IE7 was downloaded, you will also see an EULA which
you must accept before IE7 will install.

If you choose to install IE7 via Automatic Updates, I strongly recommend to
be CERTAIN that your anti-virus application is disabled BEFORE the
installation begins. When the installation completes, REBOOT TWICE.

=================================

Joy, this is getting way too complicated to be handled efficiently in the
newsgroups. If you need additional assistance, please Register and then
begin a new thread in this forum for further assistance:
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=7
--
~PA Bear

Joy wrote:
<paste>
> And yes, ...\Program Files\Internet Explorer is there, it just doesn't
> have
> that \IEXPLORER.EXE under it. Seems that adding or removing a couple of
> checks added a couple of things that weren't there before, but that isn't
> one of them.

</paste>