can't access ftp folder (eg. ftp://ftp.microsoft.com)

tombster

can't access ftp folder (eg. ftp://ftp.microsoft.com)
I can't connect to any ftp servers (eg. ftp.microsoft.com) or download a
file from a webpage that links to a ftp server (eg. ftp.hp.com). Both ftp
servers used as examples allow anonymous logons. EI7 gives the "Internet
explorer cannot display the webpage" message when I try to connect.

If I go to the "menu bar" and select "view"->"Open FTP site in Windows
Explorer" I get a message from "Internet Explorer Security" saying Windows
Explorer
wants to open Web content.

If I "allow" this I get another message saying " Windows can't access this
folder..." the name maybe incorrect or you don't have permission to access
the folder.

I have tried all the suggestions this and other groups have suggested but I
can't fix this problem.

I have tried to use "Windows Explorer" to open a connection to
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com but I get a message saying "Windows can't access this
folder the name maybe incorrect or you don't have permission to access the
folder".

I have compared the "Internet Options" on the "Security" and "Advanced" tabs
with
another Vista PC running on the same home network that doesn't have this
problem and both PC are the same.

I have used another internet browser (Apple's Safari Browser) installed on
the problem PC and it works correctly browsing ftp sites or webpages with
links to ftp servers.

The problem I am have seem to be one of not having permission to use the
folder that IE7 uses to store the ftp sites information.

Some of the other things tried include:
-Turning off firewall, anit-virus software, User Account Control, Popup
Blocker,IE7 add-ons.
-I have checked IE7 Internet Options -> "Advanced Tab" and "Enabe FTP folder
viewing (outside outside of Internet Explorer)" is cheched.

Any help would be appreciated

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: can't access ftp folder (eg. ftp://ftp.microsoft.com)
(cross-post added to Vista General)
"tombster" <tombster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6DDAD7B7-1675-40F7-8551-BDB3099DC896@microsoft.com...
>I can't connect to any ftp servers (eg. ftp.microsoft.com) or download a
> file from a webpage that links to a ftp server (eg. ftp.hp.com). Both ftp
> servers used as examples allow anonymous logons. EI7 gives the "Internet
> explorer cannot display the webpage" message when I try to connect.
>
> If I go to the "menu bar" and select "view"->"Open FTP site in Windows
> Explorer" I get a message from "Internet Explorer Security" saying Windows
> Explorer
> wants to open Web content.
>
> If I "allow" this I get another message saying " Windows can't access this
> folder..." the name maybe incorrect or you don't have permission to access
> the folder.
>
> I have tried all the suggestions this and other groups have suggested but I
> can't fix this problem.

Such as?

> I have tried to use "Windows Explorer" to open a connection to
> ftp://ftp.microsoft.com but I get a message saying "Windows can't access this
> folder the name maybe incorrect or you don't have permission to access the
> folder".
>
> I have compared the "Internet Options" on the "Security" and "Advanced" tabs
> with
> another Vista PC running on the same home network that doesn't have this
> problem and both PC are the same.

More significantly what do you have for

Enable FTP folder view (outside of Internet Explorer)

> I have used another internet browser (Apple's Safari Browser) installed on
> the problem PC and it works correctly browsing ftp sites or webpages with
> links to ftp servers.
>
> The problem I am have seem to be one of not having permission to use the
> folder that IE7 uses to store the ftp sites information.

That would be a problem in your OS not with IE specifically.
Cross-posting to a Vista NG though I'm not sure which one
would be best for this symptom.

> Some of the other things tried include:
> -Turning off firewall, anit-virus software, User Account Control, Popup
> Blocker,IE7 add-ons.
> -I have checked IE7 Internet Options -> "Advanced Tab" and "Enabe FTP folder
> viewing (outside outside of Internet Explorer)" is cheched.

That's probably your problem. Uncheck it.

> Any help would be appreciated

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

tombster

Re: can't access ftp folder (eg. ftp://ftp.microsoft.com)
Hi Robert,
I have tried to uncheck "Enabe FTP folder viewing (outside outside of
Internet Explorer)" but it had no effect on the problem.

I have found the syntax used to address a ftp server in IE7 does make a
difference.

Example:
1) if I type in IE7's address bar http:\\ftp.dell.com ...this syntax works.
2) ftp:\\ftp.dell.com ...doesn't work.

I have found that Dell's web pages with buttons on them that direct the user
to download a file on an ftp server don't work if the syntax used is not in
the form of http:\\ftp.dell.com....

I'm using Dell as an example instead of mircosoft because microsoft seem to
use info.aspx commands to start a download on their web pages.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to Vista General)
> "tombster" <tombster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6DDAD7B7-1675-40F7-8551-BDB3099DC896@microsoft.com...
> >I can't connect to any ftp servers (eg. ftp.microsoft.com) or download a
> > file from a webpage that links to a ftp server (eg. ftp.hp.com). Both ftp
> > servers used as examples allow anonymous logons. EI7 gives the "Internet
> > explorer cannot display the webpage" message when I try to connect.
> >
> > If I go to the "menu bar" and select "view"->"Open FTP site in Windows
> > Explorer" I get a message from "Internet Explorer Security" saying Windows
> > Explorer
> > wants to open Web content.
> >
> > If I "allow" this I get another message saying " Windows can't access this
> > folder..." the name maybe incorrect or you don't have permission to access
> > the folder.
> >
> > I have tried all the suggestions this and other groups have suggested but I
> > can't fix this problem.

> Such as?
>

> > I have tried to use "Windows Explorer" to open a connection to
> > ftp://ftp.microsoft.com but I get a message saying "Windows can't access this
> > folder the name maybe incorrect or you don't have permission to access the
> > folder".
> >
> > I have compared the "Internet Options" on the "Security" and "Advanced" tabs
> > with
> > another Vista PC running on the same home network that doesn't have this
> > problem and both PC are the same.

> More significantly what do you have for
>
> Enable FTP folder view (outside of Internet Explorer)
>

> > I have used another internet browser (Apple's Safari Browser) installed on
> > the problem PC and it works correctly browsing ftp sites or webpages with
> > links to ftp servers.
> >
> > The problem I am have seem to be one of not having permission to use the
> > folder that IE7 uses to store the ftp sites information.

> That would be a problem in your OS not with IE specifically.
> Cross-posting to a Vista NG though I'm not sure which one
> would be best for this symptom.
>

> > Some of the other things tried include:
> > -Turning off firewall, anit-virus software, User Account Control, Popup
> > Blocker,IE7 add-ons.
> > -I have checked IE7 Internet Options -> "Advanced Tab" and "Enabe FTP folder
> > viewing (outside outside of Internet Explorer)" is cheched.

> That's probably your problem. Uncheck it.
>

> > Any help would be appreciated

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

tombster

Re: can't access ftp folder (eg. ftp://ftp.microsoft.com)
Well I have resolved my problem. After going thru IE7's "Internet Options"
one more time, I discovered by trial and error how to correct the ftp problem
on my Vista (32-bit) PC.

The fix was to select/check the "Automatically detect settings" in the
"Automatic configuration" section in the "Local Area Network (LAN) Settings"
window.
(internet options->connections tab->lan settings).

*Note: My other PC (Vista 64-bit) didn't have this ftp problem and didn't
have the "Automatically detect settings" selected/checked.