Favourites Problem in Vista IE

lindzog

Favourites Problem in Vista IE
Hi, Ive a new pc with Vista, but when i click Favourites it says it cant find
the folder and so nothing is displayed.
It tries to find bootmark.htm, which does not appear in my My Docs. I think
this is because of some screw-up when using Easy Transfer to transfer Docs
from an XP laptop. I fear some Settings accidentally got transfered too
This messed up locating my Outlook pst as well. I was able to fix that with
System Restore but Favourites have not recovered so well, presumably because
SR doesnt alter folder changes? Has any helpful person got an idea how to fix
this? There is a folder in My Docs called Favourites and ive tried renaming
it to Bookmark.htm but to no avail. Appreciate any assistance. L
Don Varnau

Re: Favourites Problem in Vista IE
Hi,
From Start> Run type in shell:favorites In the Windows Explorer window
which opens, what's the path to the Favorites folder? You may have to
left-click in the Address Bar of that window to see the entire path. It
should be [C:\Users\your account name\Favorites]

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"lindzog" <lindzog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, Ive a new pc with Vista, but when i click Favourites it says it cant

find
> the folder and so nothing is displayed.
> It tries to find bootmark.htm, which does not appear in my My Docs. I

think
> this is because of some screw-up when using Easy Transfer to transfer Docs
> from an XP laptop. I fear some Settings accidentally got transfered too
> This messed up locating my Outlook pst as well. I was able to fix that

with
> System Restore but Favourites have not recovered so well, presumably

because
> SR doesnt alter folder changes? Has any helpful person got an idea how to

fix
> this? There is a folder in My Docs called Favourites and ive tried

renaming
> it to Bookmark.htm but to no avail. Appreciate any assistance. L

lindzog

Re: Favourites Problem in Vista IE
tks for the reply Don. Ill have a look. But im slighly puzzled because when I
look the Vista Favaourties Organise instructions it says the default path
should be C/Users/My Docs/bookmark/htm. Or is that something different?

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> From Start> Run type in shell:favorites In the Windows Explorer window
> which opens, what's the path to the Favorites folder? You may have to
> left-click in the Address Bar of that window to see the entire path. It
> should be [C:\Users\your account name\Favorites]
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "lindzog" <lindzog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, Ive a new pc with Vista, but when i click Favourites it says it cant

> find
> > the folder and so nothing is displayed.
> > It tries to find bootmark.htm, which does not appear in my My Docs. I

> think
> > this is because of some screw-up when using Easy Transfer to transfer Docs
> > from an XP laptop. I fear some Settings accidentally got transfered too
> > This messed up locating my Outlook pst as well. I was able to fix that

> with
> > System Restore but Favourites have not recovered so well, presumably

> because
> > SR doesnt alter folder changes? Has any helpful person got an idea how to

> fix
> > this? There is a folder in My Docs called Favourites and ive tried

> renaming
> > it to Bookmark.htm but to no avail. Appreciate any assistance. L

Don Varnau

Re: Favourites Problem in Vista IE
Hi,
Something went wrong during the Windows Easy Transfer process. Internet
Explorer is not finding the Favorites folder.

Do you still have the laptop from which the Favorites came?

Does bookmarks.htm actually exist in the My Docs folder and if you open
bookmarks.htm does it contain Favorites?

> tks for the reply Don. Ill have a look. But im slighly puzzled because

when I
> look the Vista Favaourties Organise instructions it says the default path
> should be C/Users/My Docs/bookmark/htm. Or is that something different?

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > From Start> Run type in shell:favorites In the Windows Explorer window
> > which opens, what's the path to the Favorites folder? You may have to
> > left-click in the Address Bar of that window to see the entire path. It
> > should be [C:\Users\your account name\Favorites]

> > "lindzog" <lindzog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi, Ive a new pc with Vista, but when i click Favourites it says it

cant
> > find
> > > the folder and so nothing is displayed.
> > > It tries to find bootmark.htm, which does not appear in my My Docs. I

> > think
> > > this is because of some screw-up when using Easy Transfer to transfer

Docs
> > > from an XP laptop. I fear some Settings accidentally got transfered

too
> > > This messed up locating my Outlook pst as well. I was able to fix that

> > with
> > > System Restore but Favourites have not recovered so well, presumably

> > because
> > > SR doesnt alter folder changes? Has any helpful person got an idea how

> > fix
> > > this? There is a folder in My Docs called Favourites and ive tried

> > renaming
> > > it to Bookmark.htm but to no avail. Appreciate any assistance. L

lindzog

Re: Favourites Problem in Vista IE
Barman, ive looked at the tab but cant see anyway of changing the file path.
The error I get says cannot locate User/My Docs/Favorites/Favorites. It
seems to have the word Favorites twice.
Don, its the Organise wizard in Vista that tells me that the default
location for Favorites should be bookmark.htm. Ill try looking on the laptop
to see what the Favorites is called there. There is certainly no folder on
the desktop called Bookmark.htm.
Thanks for your help with this. So much for Easy Transfer. Easy Nightmare
more like.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Something went wrong during the Windows Easy Transfer process. Internet
> Explorer is not finding the Favorites folder.
>
> Do you still have the laptop from which the Favorites came?
>
> Does bookmarks.htm actually exist in the My Docs folder and if you open
> bookmarks.htm does it contain Favorites?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "lindzog" <lindzog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > tks for the reply Don. Ill have a look. But im slighly puzzled because

> when I
> > look the Vista Favaourties Organise instructions it says the default path
> > should be C/Users/My Docs/bookmark/htm. Or is that something different?

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > From Start> Run type in shell:favorites In the Windows Explorer window
> > > which opens, what's the path to the Favorites folder? You may have to
> > > left-click in the Address Bar of that window to see the entire path. It
> > > should be [C:\Users\your account name\Favorites]

> > > "lindzog" <lindzog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> cant
> > > find
> > > think

> Docs

> too
> > > with
> > > because

> > > fix
> > > renaming

lindzog

Re: Favourites Problem in Vista IE
(don, sorry about the barman reply here. that should have gone to an IE post
where i also asked about this issue.)