IE7 not remebering

Keith

IE7 not remebering
I use sites such as www.bbc.co.uk where you can customise and set your
location etc, however when I close IE & Re-Open, it has forgotten all the
settings. I have checked that cookies are enabled for those sites, I deleted
all cookies and watched them all re-appear again after setting everything
but it still will not remember. I contacted the bbc but have had no replies,
however I don't believe it is their fault as this works ok on my work PC. I
have disabled all add-ons and still the same, I have un-installed every kind
of toolbar (winamp, virgin media etc). I am using XP with SP3, IE7
V7.0.5730.11IS

Any ideas please?

Thanks

rob^_^

Re: IE7 not remebering
Hi Keith,

Some site use Reverse DNS to determine where you are located (Reverse DNS
looks up your location from a database of Internet Service Providers (ISP)
and their IP addresses). There are also international licensing issues with
media content and some content may not be available to visitors from some
countries.

Unfortunately you cannot get around this as the information is not stored in
your cookies, but rather is determined each time you visit a site.

Have a look in the Address bar when you visit bbc.co.uk and there may be
something there that may give you an idea about what settings they are using
for you.

Once you have found the content for the location that you want, you can then
use the Add to Favorites.

Here is the address of a High Contrast layout -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/displayoptions/...=www.bbc.co.uk

A look at the web site shows that this customization feature is still in
Beta, and a look at my cookies, shows that they are not yet using the
document cookie to store your preferences.

Adding addresses like the one above to your Favorites should solve the
problem for you for the time being.

Regards.

"Keith" <me@here.com> wrote in message
> I use sites such as www.bbc.co.uk where you can customise and set your
> location etc, however when I close IE & Re-Open, it has forgotten all the
> settings. I have checked that cookies are enabled for those sites, I
> deleted
> all cookies and watched them all re-appear again after setting everything
> but it still will not remember. I contacted the bbc but have had no
> replies,
> however I don't believe it is their fault as this works ok on my work PC.
> have disabled all add-ons and still the same, I have un-installed every
> kind
> of toolbar (winamp, virgin media etc). I am using XP with SP3, IE7
> V7.0.5730.11IS
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> Thanks

Keith

Re: IE7 not remebering
Thanks for the reply, but I don't think this is the case here as you can set
the homepage to any location you wish (does not have to be where you live)
as I do when I am at work, I set it to wherever I know I am going to be
visiting to get the local news and weather etc, plus you can also customise
colours, layout etc which should be saved (and which do save on my work PC).

Thanks again

Hi Keith,

Some site use Reverse DNS to determine where you are located (Reverse DNS
looks up your location from a database of Internet Service Providers (ISP)
and their IP addresses). There are also international licensing issues with
media content and some content may not be available to visitors from some
countries.

Unfortunately you cannot get around this as the information is not stored in
your cookies, but rather is determined each time you visit a site.

Have a look in the Address bar when you visit bbc.co.uk and there may be
something there that may give you an idea about what settings they are using
for you.

Once you have found the content for the location that you want, you can then
use the Add to Favorites.

Here is the address of a High Contrast layout -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/displayoptions/...=www.bbc.co.uk

A look at the web site shows that this customization feature is still in
Beta, and a look at my cookies, shows that they are not yet using the
document cookie to store your preferences.

Adding addresses like the one above to your Favorites should solve the
problem for you for the time being.

Regards.

"Keith" <me@here.com> wrote in message
> I use sites such as www.bbc.co.uk where you can customise and set your
> location etc, however when I close IE & Re-Open, it has forgotten all the
> settings. I have checked that cookies are enabled for those sites, I
> deleted
> all cookies and watched them all re-appear again after setting everything
> but it still will not remember. I contacted the bbc but have had no
> replies,
> however I don't believe it is their fault as this works ok on my work PC.
> have disabled all add-ons and still the same, I have un-installed every
> kind
> of toolbar (winamp, virgin media etc). I am using XP with SP3, IE7
> V7.0.5730.11IS
>
> Any ideas please?
>
> Thanks

rob^_^

Re: IE7 not remebering
Hi Keith,

Yes I saw that when I went to the site. I think that as it is still beta,
they have not got around to saving that information in your site cookie as
yet.

> Thanks for the reply, but I don't think this is the case here as you can
> set
> the homepage to any location you wish (does not have to be where you live)
> as I do when I am at work, I set it to wherever I know I am going to be
> visiting to get the local news and weather etc, plus you can also
> customise
> colours, layout etc which should be saved (and which do save on my work
> PC).
>
> Thanks again
>

> "rob^_^" <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Keith,
>
> Some site use Reverse DNS to determine where you are located (Reverse DNS
> looks up your location from a database of Internet Service Providers (ISP)
> and their IP addresses). There are also international licensing issues
> with
> media content and some content may not be available to visitors from some
> countries.
>
> Unfortunately you cannot get around this as the information is not stored
> in
> your cookies, but rather is determined each time you visit a site.
>
> Have a look in the Address bar when you visit bbc.co.uk and there may be
> something there that may give you an idea about what settings they are
> using
> for you.
>
> Once you have found the content for the location that you want, you can
> then
> use the Add to Favorites.
>
> Here is the address of a High Contrast layout -
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/displayoptions/...=www.bbc.co.uk
>
> A look at the web site shows that this customization feature is still in
> Beta, and a look at my cookies, shows that they are not yet using the
> document cookie to store your preferences.
>
> Adding addresses like the one above to your Favorites should solve the
> problem for you for the time being.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Keith" <me@here.com> wrote in message
>> I use sites such as www.bbc.co.uk where you can customise and set your
>> location etc, however when I close IE & Re-Open, it has forgotten all the
>> settings. I have checked that cookies are enabled for those sites, I
>> deleted
>> all cookies and watched them all re-appear again after setting everything
>> but it still will not remember. I contacted the bbc but have had no
>> replies,
>> however I don't believe it is their fault as this works ok on my work PC.
>> have disabled all add-ons and still the same, I have un-installed every
>> kind
>> of toolbar (winamp, virgin media etc). I am using XP with SP3, IE7
>> V7.0.5730.11IS
>>
>> Any ideas please?
>>
>> Thanks

Keith

Re: IE7 not remebering
I don't believe it is Beta, this is the main site for the BBC and it saves
any settings on my work PC?

> [...]

> Adding addresses like the one above to your Favorites should solve the
> problem for you for the time being.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Keith" <me@here.com> wrote in message
>> I use sites such as www.bbc.co.uk where you can customise and set your
>> location etc, however when I close IE & Re-Open, it has forgotten all the
>> settings. I have checked that cookies are enabled for those sites, I
>> deleted
>> all cookies and watched them all re-appear again after setting everything
>> but it still will not remember. I contacted the bbc but have had no
>> replies,
>> however I don't believe it is their fault as this works ok on my work PC.
>> have disabled all add-ons and still the same, I have un-installed every
>> kind
>> of toolbar (winamp, virgin media etc). I am using XP with SP3, IE7

rob^_^

Re: IE7 not remebering
Hi Keith,

You are right! Returning there this morning, my settings from the previous
visit are there.

My Privacy setting is Medium (Tools>Internet Options - Privacy tab) which is
allowing cookies from the site.

You can view which sites are accepting cookies from the View>Web Page
Privacy menu.

The only other reason that you may not be accepting cookies on that computer
is third-party software such as your firewall or anti-virus software.