IE 8 destroyed Macafee and IE7 will not work any more

DM

IE 8 destroyed Macafee and IE7 will not work any more
Well we have seen what IE8 does to Macafee security center. Now I'd like to
know how to get IE7 to work again. I used Spuninst.exe to uninstall IE8, mind
you I tried a few other ways too. IE7 closes itself with following error:

The instruction at "0x77c2b9b5" referenced memory at "0xbebbfaea'. The
memory could not be "written"

I have XP Service pack 3

Re: IE 8 destroyed Macafee and IE7 will not work any more
Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?

=> Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
or

2. Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

=> Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

DM wrote:
> Well we have seen what IE8 does to Macafee security center. Now I'd like
> know how to get IE7 to work again. I used Spuninst.exe to uninstall IE8,
> mind you I tried a few other ways too. IE7 closes itself with following
> error:
>
> The instruction at "0x77c2b9b5" referenced memory at "0xbebbfaea'. The
> memory could not be "written"
>
> I have XP Service pack 3

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE, OE/WM

"DM" <DM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Well we have seen what IE8 does to Macafee security center. Now I'd like
> know how to get IE7 to work again. I used Spuninst.exe to uninstall IE8,
> mind
> you I tried a few other ways too. IE7 closes itself with following error:
>
> The instruction at "0x77c2b9b5" referenced memory at "0xbebbfaea'. The
> memory could not be "written"
>
> I have XP Service pack 3

Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of these
Web pages.
Help with malware:
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
For quite a few people it's by installing Messenger Plus, whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

DM

Re: IE 8 destroyed Macafee and IE7 will not work any more
Thank you PA Bear.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?
> IE 7
> => Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
> Yes
> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
> or
> Turns off as well.
> 2. Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
> (No add-ons).

> => Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

IE 7 can not be strted, turns itself of...would it do if I reset while
working on IE 8?
I can have that one running , minus functional Macafeee Security center of
course.
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> DM wrote:
> > Well we have seen what IE8 does to Macafee security center. Now I'd like
> > know how to get IE7 to work again. I used Spuninst.exe to uninstall IE8,
> > mind you I tried a few other ways too. IE7 closes itself with following
> > error:
> >
> > The instruction at "0x77c2b9b5" referenced memory at "0xbebbfaea'. The
> > memory could not be "written"
> >
> > I have XP Service pack 3

DM

Re: IE 8 destroyed Macafee and IE7 will not work any more
Thank you Frank.

I do not think it is a parasite, i have avoided all those traps (to the best
of my knowledge)
I will hovewer run all scans and check in near future.

I do believe Mcafee is actually still doing it's job, just display is wrecked.
I have shreded temporary files with 7 runs as an option. The only thing I
still keep are the restore points.

Easyest solution at this time seems to switch to some other virus scan which
would not be affected. This turned out to be a known issue with Macafee
(Unfortunately I did not know it at the time of installation.)

I appreciate and thank you for the time and effort taken to advise me and
those similarly affected. Your input was most welcome and usefull,

Thank you

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE, OE/WM" wrote:

> "DM" <DM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well we have seen what IE8 does to Macafee security center. Now I'd like
> > know how to get IE7 to work again. I used Spuninst.exe to uninstall IE8,
> > mind
> > you I tried a few other ways too. IE7 closes itself with following error:
> >
> > The instruction at "0x77c2b9b5" referenced memory at "0xbebbfaea'. The
> > memory could not be "written"
> >
> > I have XP Service pack 3

> Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of these
> Web pages.
> Help with malware:
> All MS-MVP Sites.
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
>
> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
> For quite a few people it's by installing Messenger Plus, whose ads for
> malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
> owe it to the author. See also:
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971
> Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and see
> what else is being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not sure
> of.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
> Do not reply with email

Re: IE 8 destroyed Macafee and IE7 will not work any more
Please repost your reply to my post, avoiding inline responses. I can't
make heads or tails of this one.

Also tell us if you're currently running IE7 or IE8B2 (we don't support the
latter in this newsgroup)?