IE 7 or 8 cause problems.

dave

IE 7 or 8 cause problems.
I maintain a sports club website and the only program that will allow me
upload photos is IE6 ( or earlier). I have just got a new laptop with Vista
and IE 7 and can not now upload photos.
With my last lap top,(XP) I was able to remove IE 7 and replace it with IE6,
but it seems this can not be done with Vista.
All setting for 7 and 6 were kept the same where possible. I even tried IE 8
but the same result. Any one got any ideas, as Firefox and Opera cause the
same problems as IE7/8
Dave
Ireland
Chris Beall

Re: IE 7 or 8 cause problems.
dave wrote:
> I maintain a sports club website and the only program that will allow me
> upload photos is IE6 ( or earlier). I have just got a new laptop with Vista
> and IE 7 and can not now upload photos.
> With my last lap top,(XP) I was able to remove IE 7 and replace it with IE6,
> but it seems this can not be done with Vista.
> All setting for 7 and 6 were kept the same where possible. I even tried IE 8
> but the same result. Any one got any ideas, as Firefox and Opera cause the
> same problems as IE7/8
> Dave
> Ireland

Dave,

Could you be more specific about "can not now upload photos"? What do
you do? What is the response? Are you trying to use FTP? Do you get
any error messages (if so, quote them verbatim)? Can you upload things
other than photos? What is the URL of your site? If you still have the
old laptop, does the upload of photos still work from it?

Chris Beall

Re: IE 7 or 8 cause problems.
Are you running Vista or Vista SP1? <=only a question, not a recommendation!

If the machine fully patched at Windows Update?

What third-party firewall (if any)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

dave wrote:
> I maintain a sports club website and the only program that will allow me
> upload photos is IE6 ( or earlier). I have just got a new laptop with
> Vista
> and IE 7 and can not now upload photos.
> With my last lap top,(XP) I was able to remove IE 7 and replace it with
> IE6,
> but it seems this can not be done with Vista.
> All setting for 7 and 6 were kept the same where possible. I even tried IE
> 8
> but the same result. Any one got any ideas, as Firefox and Opera cause the
> same problems as IE7/8
> Dave
> Ireland

dave

Re: IE 7 or 8 cause problems.
) Hi Lads I am running Vista sp1.
The problem is that when I click on the Graphic icon on the web site, it
brings up another menu, (not sure if I can upload a screenshot here). This
menu is the same in IE 6 and IE 7/8 except for a button marked,
BROWSE SERVER is missing when using the later versions.
This button allows me to either browse or upload to the server. It's a
strange one I know, but maybe some of you techie guys could suggest something.
Thanks for your interest,
dave
Ireland

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you running Vista or Vista SP1? <=only a question, not a recommendation!
>
> If the machine fully patched at Windows Update?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> dave wrote:
> > I maintain a sports club website and the only program that will allow me
> > upload photos is IE6 ( or earlier). I have just got a new laptop with
> > Vista
> > and IE 7 and can not now upload photos.
> > With my last lap top,(XP) I was able to remove IE 7 and replace it with
> > IE6,
> > but it seems this can not be done with Vista.
> > All setting for 7 and 6 were kept the same where possible. I even tried IE
> > 8
> > but the same result. Any one got any ideas, as Firefox and Opera cause the
> > same problems as IE7/8
> > Dave
> > Ireland

Chris Beall

Re: IE 7 or 8 cause problems.
dave,

OK, I'm doing a lot of reading between the lines here, but we need more
information to proceed. Here's what I think you are saying (if I'm
wrong, you have to tell us...)

You have a web site.
It is either built from a template or, more likely, is actually space on
some service-provider, something like the "Build Your Own Sports-Club
website" service.
If I were to go to the site, I would see the stuff you have put there,
but I would not see the BROWSE SERVER button, because, as a mere
visitor, I should not be allowed to look at raw server files or upload
stuff.
If YOU go to the site, you should see the button, 'cause it's your site
and you should have these privileges.
The site has to have some way of distinguishing me from you. The usual
procedure would be to provide a logon ID and password. DO YOU DO THAT?
Once it has been provided, the logon ID and password MIGHT be remembered
on your system, so you don't have to enter it again. Maybe not.
IF it is remembered, that MIGHT be in a cookie. IF it is remembered in
a cookie, it is possible that IE7 and 8 cannot see the cookie set while
using IE 6. This would mean that you would have to login again using IE
7 or 8 in order to be recognized. DID YOU DO THAT?
You did not answer the question about FTP. I deduce that you don't know
the answer, which leads me to suspect that your uploads are being done
'under the covers' and you don't really know what is going on. That
will make it hard for us to guess. It MIGHT help immensely if you gave
us the URL of your website. If, for some reason, you don't want to do
that, at least give us the URL of the "Build Your Own Sports-Club
website" service, so we can see what they are about.

The fact that Firefox and Opera fail in the same way indicates that this
is not an IE problem and is hence off-topic for this newsgroup. I'm
going to ignore that and will continue to work with you, but ONLY if you
give us the information I've requested (see my other post as well).

Another remote possibility is that, under the covers, the site is using
FTP. FTP comes in two modes, active and passive. Most versions of IE 6
only understand active mode. Passive mode is more secure and it is
likely the default on newer browsers. A server using active mode will
not talk to a client using passive mode. How this internal stuff would
appear to you on the screen is anybody's guess.

So, answer the questions and we'll see what can be done.

Chris Beall

dave wrote:
> ) Hi Lads I am running Vista sp1.
> The problem is that when I click on the Graphic icon on the web site, it
> brings up another menu, (not sure if I can upload a screenshot here). This
> menu is the same in IE 6 and IE 7/8 except for a button marked,
> BROWSE SERVER is missing when using the later versions.
> This button allows me to either browse or upload to the server. It's a
> strange one I know, but maybe some of you techie guys could suggest something.
> Thanks for your interest,
> dave
> Ireland
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Are you running Vista or Vista SP1? <=only a question, not a recommendation!
>>
>> If the machine fully patched at Windows Update?

>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
>> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> dave wrote:
>>> I maintain a sports club website and the only program that will allow me
>>> upload photos is IE6 ( or earlier). I have just got a new laptop with
>>> Vista
>>> and IE 7 and can not now upload photos.
>>> With my last lap top,(XP) I was able to remove IE 7 and replace it with
>>> IE6,
>>> but it seems this can not be done with Vista.
>>> All setting for 7 and 6 were kept the same where possible. I even tried IE
>>> 8
>>> but the same result. Any one got any ideas, as Firefox and Opera cause the
>>> same problems as IE7/8
>>> Dave
>>> Ireland

Nicholas Hall

Re: IE 7 or 8 cause problems.
If you want to FTP a picture in vista to your site do it in windows (type
the address in the address bar of any open folder).

NIK

"Chris Beall" <Chris_Beall@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> [...]
>> brings up another menu, (not sure if I can upload a screenshot here).
>> This menu is the same in IE 6 and IE 7/8 except for a button marked,
>> BROWSE SERVER is missing when using the later versions. This button
>> allows me to either browse or upload to the server. It's a strange one I
>> know, but maybe some of you techie guys could suggest something.
>> Thanks for your interest,
>> dave
>> Ireland
>>

>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> Are you running Vista or Vista SP1? <=only a question, not a
>>> recommendation!
>>>
>>> If the machine fully patched at Windows Update?
>>>
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
>>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

dave

Re: IE 7 or 8 cause problems.

"Chris Beall" wrote:

> [...]
> > Thanks for your interest,
> > dave
> > Ireland
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Are you running Vista or Vista SP1? <=only a question, not a recommendation!
> >>
> >> If the machine fully patched at Windows Update?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> >> What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

> Hi Chris, I only use the web site as club pro (www.oldchristiansrfc.ie) and basically we inherited it. We have it a while and while we did not press the developer too hard, as I think we got it for free and he has moved, nothing seemed to occur to him as to the problem.

At Log in I merely imput my initian "D" and the log n and pass word are
auto completed. Just to clarify, I can log it with most browsers and can
imput text no problem, but uploading photos is impossible unless I use IE6.
Updating the web today I used my new Vista HP laptop for the text and had
to dig out my old one for the match photos. You are right, that I do not
know too much about FTP etc. The browse server button only comes into play
when trying to upload photos.
As I have explained I can work around it by using my old laptop it's just
that it annoys me.
I am using Norton at the moment (60 Day Trial) updated daily, Defender and
no outside firewall.
My one regret is that I bough a "Vista" laptop, as I could have removed IE7
and installed IE6 and I am NOT impressed with Vista itself.
Anyway thanks again for your interest and if any solution occurs to you I
would be grateful,
Dave Philpott
Ireland

Re: IE 7 or 8 cause problems.
One down, two to go.

Repost:

dave wrote:
> ) Hi Lads I am running Vista sp1.
> The problem is that when I click on the Graphic icon on the web site, it
> brings up another menu, (not sure if I can upload a screenshot here). This
> menu is the same in IE 6 and IE 7/8 except for a button marked,
> BROWSE SERVER is missing when using the later versions.
> This button allows me to either browse or upload to the server. It's a
> strange one I know, but maybe some of you techie guys could suggest
> something. Thanks for your interest,
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Are you running Vista or Vista SP1? <=only a question, not a
>> recommendation!
>>
>> If the machine fully patched at Windows Update?

>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> dave wrote:
>>> I maintain a sports club website and the only program that will allow me
>>> upload photos is IE6 ( or earlier). I have just got a new laptop with
>>> Vista
>>> and IE 7 and can not now upload photos.
>>> With my last lap top,(XP) I was able to remove IE 7 and replace it with
>>> IE6,
>>> but it seems this can not be done with Vista.
>>> All setting for 7 and 6 were kept the same where possible. I even tried
>>> IE
>>> 8
>>> but the same result. Any one got any ideas, as Firefox and Opera cause
>>> the
>>> same problems as IE7/8
>>> Dave
>>> Ireland

Chris Beall

Re: IE 7 or 8 cause problems.
dave,

OK, I'm going to go back to your first post, where you said:
"The problem is that when I click on the Graphic icon on the web site,
it brings up another menu, (not sure if I can upload a screenshot here).
This menu is the same in IE 6 and IE 7/8 except for a button marked,
BROWSE SERVER is missing when using the later versions."

Now when I go to http://www.oldchristiansrfc.ie I see a website, but I
do NOT see a Graphic icon (there's a 'Photos' link and I can view the
photos on the page it takes me to). I also do NOT see anyplace to log
in. I deduce that there is something you haven't told us. Let's try to
find it.

When you want to update the site, EXACTLY what do you do, starting at
the desktop? What do you see after doing each step? (when you get to
the ID and password, just say "I enter the ID and password"); for
everything else I need to know every keystroke.

[My suspicion here is that you are actually going to some sort of
site-management tool, logging on there, and then not getting the
expected "Browse Server" button on one of its screens. If that's so, we
need to know the name of that tool ('Cpanel' and 'OS4' are two such
names, but there are many others).]

And please answer PA Bear's question:

Is the machine fully patched at Windows Update?

Chris Beall

dave wrote:

> [...]

> auto completed. Just to clarify, I can log it with most browsers and can
> imput text no problem, but uploading photos is impossible unless I use IE6.
> Updating the web today I used my new Vista HP laptop for the text and had
> to dig out my old one for the match photos. You are right, that I do not
> know too much about FTP etc. The browse server button only comes into play
> when trying to upload photos.
> As I have explained I can work around it by using my old laptop it's just
> that it annoys me.
> I am using Norton at the moment (60 Day Trial) updated daily, Defender and
> no outside firewall.
> My one regret is that I bough a "Vista" laptop, as I could have removed IE7
> and installed IE6 and I am NOT impressed with Vista itself.
> Anyway thanks again for your interest and if any solution occurs to you I

dave

Re: IE 7 or 8 cause problems.
Lads this is getting too complicated for me. To log in, I add siteadmin to
http://www.oldchristiansrfc.ie/ in address. This brings up the login page
which auto completes when I imput the first letter.
This brings up a menu page from where I navigate to Match results/
reports/club news etc. Say for example I want to imput a match report, I go
to the match report page. I write my report and as we try to get match photos
into reports, I click on an icon which brings up another menu. I then click
on the "Browse Server" option on this menu and I can either browse photos
already stored there or upload more pics.
However the "Browse Server" option does not appear when using IE7/8 although
the rest of the menu is the same. It does not matter whether I use Vista or
XP, (although with XP, I can replace IE& with IE 6) . Imputting text is no
problem.
Windows update says I am up to date, I am using the ver of Norton that came
with the computer and Windows Defender is turned on.

I suppose what it all boils down to is whether there is some difference
between IE6 and IE7 that would make a difference to our site.
Again thank you for taking the time to ponder my problem. As you no doubt
guessed I am more an imput man that anything else.

Best wishes from Ireland
Dave