IE6,7 renders percent margins wrong after zoom stying applied

Chris Beall

IE6,7 renders percent margins wrong after zoom stying applied
See http://pages.prodigy.net/chris_beall/Demo/Zoombug.html

Inside a table cell which contains three nested DIVs, with the outermost
DIV styled with zoom: 1, percentage margins are apparently calculated at
very large incorrect values. (The styling must be applied via a class
or id reference, not inline on the DIV. The fact that inline styling
does NOT fail seems to indicate a possible secondary bug.)

Symptoms from above testcase, which specifies a 5% left-margin:
IE 6 & IE7. Black background, which should fit within the window, is
an estimated 100 windows wide.
IE 6 only. The text, which should appear once, is repeated multiple
times within the width.

This problem was discovered on the Yahoo! webmail service. If an
incoming HTML email uses percentage margin widths, it will trigger this
problem, because the Yahoo! page that displays incoming email creates
the environment described above. (My reading of the MS description of
zoom indicates that zoom: 1 should have no effect at all, so it is not
clear why Yahoo! would specify such a value)

A workaround is to specify the margins in em units, or something else
other than percent, but this workaround would have to be applied by the
sender of each email.

I have no idea how to formally report this bug to either MS or Yahoo!.

Chris Beall

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE6,7 renders percent margins wrong after zoom stying applied
"Chris Beall" <Chris_Beall@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> See http://pages.prodigy.net/chris_beall/Demo/Zoombug.html

FWIW looks Ok to me in IE8b2.

> I have no idea how to formally report this bug to either MS or Yahoo!.

If it was wrong in IE8b2 you could report it there.

---

Chris Beall

Re: IE6,7 renders percent margins wrong after zoom stying applied
Robert,

Thank you.

Based on my past experience, if it is fixed in IE8, and isn't a security
exposure, there is nothing to be gained by reporting it against IE 7,
even if there were a way to do so...

So I'll just avoid it, and anyone else who hits it will just have to suffer.

Regards,
Chris Beall