Still having problems with LSOW IE...

Robert

Still having problems with LSOW IE...
This was posted in a different thread without a response. Thought I'd start
a new thread to move it up the line so the MVP's could be sure to see it.
The full thread was originally posted 9-2-08..."IE has slowed to pre-98SE
levels in XP Pro. HELP!"

I didn't get a response from anyone on the previous 2 questions.... but I
went ahead and uninstalled everything Norton/Symantec. Cleaned all
Norton/Symantec entries out of the registry manually, after uninstalling
everything through control panel and then used their Norton Removal Tool.
This did speed up IE very slightly (probably wishful thinking) but still
nothing as fast as my other (slower) systems run IE. New tabs still
start slowly etc (say "connecting" for a 60 seconds or MORE).
Pages seem to load faster once you are at the site you are after, but IE
itself still runs
slow opening new tabs... VERY slow!

Sooooooooo, now what???

> [...]
>> Before I go to all that trouble I wanted to state: I have 3 other
>> systems
>> here, all with "identical setups". Why am I have such a slowdown with
>> this
>> machine only, if it Norton's fault. Norton (and all other software) is
>> setup and intalled the same on all my systems (for various reasons I try
>> keep them all identical). I can see where Norton could cause these types
>> of
>> problems but wouldn't all my other Norton systems exhibit the same
>> problems?
>> I can see through ProcMon.exe that ccSvcHst.exe does eat up a lot of
>> process/service/HD time, and slow things greatly [kinda like when system
>> restore is running]. ProcMon.exe does also show that at times when IE is
>> working alone it is still slow (especially starting up and opening new
>> tabs). And I have had Norton on this system longer than I have had this
>> problem and longer that I have had IE7 (and IE hasn't had this problem
>> forever either). I think Norton may be only a small part of the problem.
>> I will try as you suggest as time permits though. I DO appreciate your
>> efforts to help me.
>>
>> One other question for the gurus out there: Why does explorer.exe (as
>> well
>> as ccSvcHst.exe) open a Registry Key, Query that key Value for:
>> enableDHCP;
>> LeaseObtainedTime; LeaseTerminatesTime, DHCP Server, and close the key
>> dozens if not hundreds of times per second. Isn't once enough? I know
>> why
>> it needs the values but not that many times.
>>

>> pps: TO ALL SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS OUT THERE [SYMANTEC, ADOBE, MICROSOFT,
>> JAVA,
>> ETC ETC], WHEN ARE RUNNING UPDATES OR SOME OTHER SERVICE THAT SLOWS
>> THINGS
>> DOWN..... SHOW, IN THE SYSTEM TRAY OR POP-UP, THAT YOU ARE RUNNING THAT
>> UPDATE/SERVICE, SO THAT WE WILL AT LEAST KNOW IT IS GOING ON AND WON'T
>> THING
>> THE SYSTEM HAS FROZEN {ok, i am off the soap box now}

>>> I would not have installed WinXP SP3 or IE7 with the machine in that
>>> state, Robert.
>>>
>>> 1. After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key, uninstall
>>> all
>>> Norton software (including LiveUpdate and any Norton Add-ons) via
>>> Add/Remove Programs.
>>>
>>> 2. Enable the Windows Firewall.
>>>
>>> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online
>>> (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 & #5 below until
>>> your
>>> anti-virus application has been installed and fully updated!
>>>
>>> 3. Run this removal tool:
>>> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>>>
>>> 4. Reboot and /immediately/ install Avira AntiVir (free):
>>> http://www.free-av.com/
>>>
>>> 5. Manually update your new anti-virus application then run a full

Re: Still having problems with LSOW IE...
You didn't start a new thread, you gave your old thread a new subject,
you're now access the newsgroup via your newsreader (instead of Google
Groups) and you're posting under a new username and associated email
address:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...6524ee7bf4dc2d

Your many other previous threads about this issue include...

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c4b943bb61df05

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...b29727fa4db1f5

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...25b820b396a453
(in Win98 General!)

and

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e6c7309e768ac2
--
~PA Bear

Robert wrote:
> [...]
>>> as ccSvcHst.exe) open a Registry Key, Query that key Value for:
>>> enableDHCP;
>>> LeaseObtainedTime; LeaseTerminatesTime, DHCP Server, and close the key
>>> dozens if not hundreds of times per second. Isn't once enough? I know
>>> why
>>> it needs the values but not that many times.
>>>

>>> pps: TO ALL SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS OUT THERE [SYMANTEC, ADOBE, MICROSOFT,
>>> JAVA,
>>> ETC ETC], WHEN ARE RUNNING UPDATES OR SOME OTHER SERVICE THAT SLOWS
>>> THINGS
>>> DOWN..... SHOW, IN THE SYSTEM TRAY OR POP-UP, THAT YOU ARE RUNNING THAT
>>> UPDATE/SERVICE, SO THAT WE WILL AT LEAST KNOW IT IS GOING ON AND WON'T
>>> THING
>>> THE SYSTEM HAS FROZEN {ok, i am off the soap box now}

Robert

Re: Still having problems with LSOW IE...
That may be what it looks like in Google Groups... I wouldn't know. Never
used it before. I'm using Outlook Express as my newsreader and it started a
new thread in microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general and it never changed
my username. BUT ALL THAT IS BESIDE THE POINT! I am still having problems
with IE being slow. I have done all I was asked to do and it is still VERY
SLOW. Is there a "next step"???

> You didn't start a new thread, you gave your old thread a new subject,
> you're now access the newsgroup via your newsreader (instead of Google
> Groups) and you're posting under a new username and associated email
> address:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...6524ee7bf4dc2d
>
> Your many other previous threads about this issue include...
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c4b943bb61df05
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...b29727fa4db1f5
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...25b820b396a453
> (in Win98 General!)
>
> and
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e6c7309e768ac2
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Robert wrote:
>> This was posted in a different thread without a response. Thought I'd
>> start
>> a new thread to move it up the line so the MVP's could be sure to see it.
>> The full thread was originally posted 9-2-08..."IE has slowed to pre-98SE
>> levels in XP Pro. HELP!"
>>
>> I didn't get a response from anyone on the previous 2 questions.... but I
>> went ahead and uninstalled everything Norton/Symantec. Cleaned all
>> Norton/Symantec entries out of the registry manually, after uninstalling
>> everything through control panel and then used their Norton Removal Tool.
>> This did speed up IE very slightly (probably wishful thinking) but still
>> nothing as fast as my other (slower) systems run IE. New tabs still
>> start slowly etc (say "connecting" for a 60 seconds or MORE).
>> Pages seem to load faster once you are at the site you are after, but IE
>> itself still runs
>> slow opening new tabs... VERY slow!
>>
>> Sooooooooo, now what???

>>> Trust me. Do steps #1 through #5 and tell me the results. If you want
>>> uninstall AntiVir and then reinstall NIS, you can do so easily enough
>>> afterward. I'll explain later, if need be.
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

Re: Still having problems with LSOW IE...
cf. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=35763

What anti-virus application have you installed?

Robert wrote:
> That may be what it looks like in Google Groups... I wouldn't know. Never
> used it before. I'm using Outlook Express as my newsreader and it started
> new thread in microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general and it never
> changed
> my username. BUT ALL THAT IS BESIDE THE POINT! I am still having
> problems
> with IE being slow. I have done all I was asked to do and it is still
> VERY
> SLOW. Is there a "next step"???
>> You didn't start a new thread, you gave your old thread a new subject,
>> you're now access the newsgroup via your newsreader (instead of Google
>> Groups) and you're posting under a new username and associated email
>> address:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...6524ee7bf4dc2d
>>
>> Your many other previous threads about this issue include...
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c4b943bb61df05
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...b29727fa4db1f5
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...25b820b396a453
>> (in Win98 General!)
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e6c7309e768ac2
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Robert wrote:
>>> This was posted in a different thread without a response. Thought I'd
>>> start
>>> a new thread to move it up the line so the MVP's could be sure to see
>>> it.
>>> The full thread was originally posted 9-2-08..."IE has slowed to
>>> pre-98SE
>>> levels in XP Pro. HELP!"
>>>
>>> I didn't get a response from anyone on the previous 2 questions.... but
>>> went ahead and uninstalled everything Norton/Symantec. Cleaned all
>>> Norton/Symantec entries out of the registry manually, after uninstalling
>>> everything through control panel and then used their Norton Removal
>>> Tool.
>>> This did speed up IE very slightly (probably wishful thinking) but still
>>> nothing as fast as my other (slower) systems run IE. New tabs still
>>> start slowly etc (say "connecting" for a 60 seconds or MORE).
>>> Pages seem to load faster once you are at the site you are after, but IE
>>> itself still runs
>>> slow opening new tabs... VERY slow!
>>>
>>> Sooooooooo, now what???

Robert

Re: Still having problems with LSOW IE...
When I noticed no real improvement after uninstalling Norton and using
whatever you suggested (... I forgot what), I reinstalled Norton. So I am
back to where I started. When reinstalling Norton I noticed systemsworks
was trying to install an old version of Liveupdate along with the new
version Norton Internet Security had already installed. So I uninstalled LU
and got Symantec TS to reinstall a single version of LU (and asked them to
speed up IE while they were at it). I told then an MS-MVP blamed the IE
slowdown on Norton. They denied all that and got into my PC and deleted
temp files, internet settings and add-ons and changed a bunch of stuff
around for me. It sped up IE a good bit on new tabs, but nothing as fast as
my other machines still. I also made a few reg tweaks I found on the net to
speed things up (like the number of connections, feeds, cleartype on/off
etc). I think the problem is in IE not an AV.

> cf. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=35763
>
> What anti-virus application have you installed?
>
> Robert wrote:
>> That may be what it looks like in Google Groups... I wouldn't know.
>> Never
>> used it before. I'm using Outlook Express as my newsreader and it
>> started a
>> new thread in microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general and it never
>> changed
>> my username. BUT ALL THAT IS BESIDE THE POINT! I am still having
>> problems
>> with IE being slow. I have done all I was asked to do and it is still
>> VERY
>> SLOW. Is there a "next step"???
>>> You didn't start a new thread, you gave your old thread a new subject,
>>> you're now access the newsgroup via your newsreader (instead of Google
>>> Groups) and you're posting under a new username and associated email
>>> address:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...6524ee7bf4dc2d
>>>
>>> Your many other previous threads about this issue include...
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c4b943bb61df05
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...b29727fa4db1f5
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...25b820b396a453
>>> (in Win98 General!)
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e6c7309e768ac2
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

Calypso

Re: Still having problems with LSOW IE...
Also having extreme slowness with opening new tabs and sometimes link. I have
Norton 360. Is that problemmatic also? I have been going crazy trying to fix
this. Never thought Norton could be at fault.
Thanks for any help!

"Robert" wrote:

> When I noticed no real improvement after uninstalling Norton and using
> whatever you suggested (... I forgot what), I reinstalled Norton. So I am
> back to where I started. When reinstalling Norton I noticed systemsworks
> was trying to install an old version of Liveupdate along with the new
> version Norton Internet Security had already installed. So I uninstalled LU
> and got Symantec TS to reinstall a single version of LU (and asked them to
> speed up IE while they were at it). I told then an MS-MVP blamed the IE
> slowdown on Norton. They denied all that and got into my PC and deleted
> temp files, internet settings and add-ons and changed a bunch of stuff
> around for me. It sped up IE a good bit on new tabs, but nothing as fast as
> my other machines still. I also made a few reg tweaks I found on the net to
> speed things up (like the number of connections, feeds, cleartype on/off
> etc). I think the problem is in IE not an AV.

> > cf. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=35763
> >
> > What anti-virus application have you installed?
> >
> > Robert wrote:
> >> That may be what it looks like in Google Groups... I wouldn't know.
> >> Never
> >> used it before. I'm using Outlook Express as my newsreader and it
> >> started a
> >> new thread in microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general and it never
> >> changed
> >> my username. BUT ALL THAT IS BESIDE THE POINT! I am still having
> >> problems
> >> with IE being slow. I have done all I was asked to do and it is still
> >> VERY
> >> SLOW. Is there a "next step"???

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Still having problems with LSOW IE...
Anything from Norton, McAfee or Trend is problematic.

"Calypso" <Calypso@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Also having extreme slowness with opening new tabs and sometimes link. I
> have
> Norton 360. Is that problemmatic also? I have been going crazy trying to
> fix
> this. Never thought Norton could be at fault.
> Thanks for any help!
>
> "Robert" wrote:
>
>> When I noticed no real improvement after uninstalling Norton and using
>> whatever you suggested (... I forgot what), I reinstalled Norton. So I
>> am
>> back to where I started. When reinstalling Norton I noticed systemsworks
>> was trying to install an old version of Liveupdate along with the new
>> version Norton Internet Security had already installed. So I uninstalled
>> LU
>> and got Symantec TS to reinstall a single version of LU (and asked them
>> speed up IE while they were at it). I told then an MS-MVP blamed the IE
>> slowdown on Norton. They denied all that and got into my PC and deleted
>> temp files, internet settings and add-ons and changed a bunch of stuff
>> around for me. It sped up IE a good bit on new tabs, but nothing as fast
>> as
>> my other machines still. I also made a few reg tweaks I found on the net
>> speed things up (like the number of connections, feeds, cleartype on/off
>> etc). I think the problem is in IE not an AV.

>> > cf. http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=35763
>> >
>> > What anti-virus application have you installed?

Robert

Re: Still having problems with LSOW IE...
Calypso,
I fixed a lot of the problems by deleting ALL temp files on my hard drive
(not just in IE). I also followed a few suggestions I found elsewhere on
the internet, and contacted Norton tech support... told them MVP's in
newsgroups had told me Norton was slowing things down (which they denied of
course) and they kindly FIXED ALMOST EVERYTHING FOR ME.
I also downloaded Toolbarcop and disabled a buch of BHO's (like java's
ssvhelper) and any any toolbar I could do without, at:
http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dltoolbarcop.html .