IE Formatting is hosed

hugh Jass

IE Formatting is hosed
I'm developing a shopping cart, and it displays well in Safari and Firefox,
but it's completely hosed in IE 6 and 7 on both XP and Vista.

There are two problems. First the page in IE gets aligned left, not center,
and I can't figure it out, but it's definitely an IE 7 problem.

You can see it at http://osc.bellevuefineart.com . Look at it in firefox and
IE and you'll see what I mean. Now, do the same thing in IE and Firefox, but
change it to https://osc.bellevuefineart.com. IE loses all the dhtml
formatting.... All the css formatting goes to hell. Pictures don't display
etc...

Any ideas on what's going on here? IE is the only browswer messing up, so I
can't understand what's going on. It works fine with Opera, Firefox,
Safari...

Re: IE Formatting is hosed
See these MSDN pages: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx &
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740476.aspx

MSDN IE Development Forums
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/def...D=253&SiteID=1
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

hugh Jass wrote:
> I'm developing a shopping cart, and it displays well in Safari and
> Firefox,
> but it's completely hosed in IE 6 and 7 on both XP and Vista.
>
> There are two problems. First the page in IE gets aligned left, not
> center,
> and I can't figure it out, but it's definitely an IE 7 problem.
>
> You can see it at http://osc.bellevuefineart.com . Look at it in firefox
> and
> IE and you'll see what I mean. Now, do the same thing in IE and Firefox,
> but
> change it to https://osc.bellevuefineart.com. IE loses all the dhtml
> formatting.... All the css formatting goes to hell. Pictures don't display
> etc...
>
> Any ideas on what's going on here? IE is the only browswer messing up, so
> can't understand what's going on. It works fine with Opera, Firefox,
> Safari...

hugh Jass

Re: IE Formatting is hosed
Thanks. But that doesn't help. I still can't figure out why in IE my pages
are being aligned to the left, and in ALL other browswers it's aligned
center.

To be more clear, my page is set in absolute pixels, about 800 pixels wide.
It's expected that the background color will show on either side of the
dhtml defined page size - but in IE it's aligned to the left, despite
attempting in various ways to make it center aligned.

http://osc.bellevuefineart.com is where my test site resides right now....

On 9/20/08 9:40 AM, in article eIXOrD0GJHA.4564@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl, "PA
Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

> See these MSDN pages: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx &
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740476.aspx
>
> MSDN IE Development Forums
> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/def...D=253&SiteID=1

Re: IE Formatting is hosed
Try posting in the forum I referenced instead. [Regards to your missus,
BiteMy.]

hugh Jass wrote:
> Thanks. But that doesn't help. I still can't figure out why in IE my pages
> are being aligned to the left, and in ALL other browswers it's aligned
> center.
>
> To be more clear, my page is set in absolute pixels, about 800 pixels
> wide.
> It's expected that the background color will show on either side of the
> dhtml defined page size - but in IE it's aligned to the left, despite
> attempting in various ways to make it center aligned.
>
> http://osc.bellevuefineart.com is where my test site resides right now....
>

> On 9/20/08 9:40 AM, in article eIXOrD0GJHA.4564@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl, "PA
> Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> See these MSDN pages: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx &
>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740476.aspx
>>
>> MSDN IE Development Forums
>> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/def...D=253&SiteID=1

RoseW

Re: IE Formatting is hosed

| hugh Jass wrote:
|| Thanks. But that doesn't help. I still can't figure out why in IE my
pages
|| are being aligned to the left, and in ALL other browswers it's aligned
|| center.
|| To be more clear, my page is set in absolute pixels, about 800 pixels
|| wide.
|| It's expected that the background color will show on either side of the
|| dhtml defined page size - but in IE it's aligned to the left, despite
|| attempting in various ways to make it center aligned.
|| http://osc.bellevuefineart.com is where my test site resides right
now....
Your reference to your print stylesheet is outside the header area.
I did a check with the W3 validator and there are some errors using the
transitional doc type on that page.
The 'strict' doc type is recommended at the moment.
Perhaps getting the code errors repaired as it stands with 'transitional doc
type' might make the page center again in Ie but I suspect Ie cannot handle
the correct code that Firefox expects.
There are newsgroups alt.html, comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html and
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylsheets.
The stylesheets group might be the one that will provide some insight since
it likely is a style configuration.
RoseW

--

http://rwgallery.gogax.com/index.html