video problem

mo32a

video problem
When I go to certain sites and click on a video file, windows media player
comes up and plays the video.

However at other times a box comes up saying the file is being saved to a
temporary internet file, then WMP comes up, but the video never loads.

I made WMP my default and also tried making quicktime my default, but when
the box comes up saying the video is being saved to a temporary media file it
never shows up again.

I also don't know how to find the temporary internet files to see if the
file actually saved there.

Another problem I am having that just started is with PPS files in outlook.
When I click on a PPS file someone sends me in an e-mail I get an error
message saying there is no program associated with that type of file and that
I should go to the "set associations" application in the control panel. When
I go there, power point viewer is set as the default player yet I keep
getting the error message. If I click on the "forward" button and then drag
the PPS file to the desktop I can click on it and it will open and play
normally.

Anyone got any ideas?
Donald Anadell

Re: video problem

"mo32a" <mo32a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I go to certain sites and click on a video file, windows media player
> comes up and plays the video.
>
> However at other times a box comes up saying the file is being saved to a
> temporary internet file, then WMP comes up, but the video never loads.
>
> I made WMP my default and also tried making quicktime my default, but when
> the box comes up saying the video is being saved to a temporary media file
> it
> never shows up again.
>
> I also don't know how to find the temporary internet files to see if the
> file actually saved there.

Viewing Temporary Internet Files in Windows Vista using the Browser:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...4f23e1033.mspx

Viewing Temporary Internet Files in Windows Vista using Windows Explorer.
Location:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\Temporary Internet
Files\

Open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer), click on Tools||Folder
Options||View
Select Show hidden files and folders
Uncheck Hide protected operating system files
Click Yes
Click Apply.

In the address path write the following(Make sure to add your username):

C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet
Files\Low\Content.IE5

> Another problem I am having that just started is with PPS files in
> outlook.
> When I click on a PPS file someone sends me in an e-mail I get an error
> message saying there is no program associated with that type of file and
> that
> I should go to the "set associations" application in the control panel.
> When
> I go there, power point viewer is set as the default player yet I keep
> getting the error message. If I click on the "forward" button and then
> drag
> the PPS file to the desktop I can click on it and it will open and play
> normally.
>
> Anyone got any ideas?

Unable to open .PPS file attachments directly, see the following for a
possible fix.

http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

mo32a

Re: video problem

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> "mo32a" <mo32a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I go to certain sites and click on a video file, windows media player
> > comes up and plays the video.
> >
> > However at other times a box comes up saying the file is being saved to a
> > temporary internet file, then WMP comes up, but the video never loads.
> >
> > I made WMP my default and also tried making quicktime my default, but when
> > the box comes up saying the video is being saved to a temporary media file
> > it
> > never shows up again.
> >
> > I also don't know how to find the temporary internet files to see if the
> > file actually saved there.

> Viewing Temporary Internet Files in Windows Vista using the Browser:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...4f23e1033.mspx
>
> Viewing Temporary Internet Files in Windows Vista using Windows Explorer.
> Location:
> C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\Temporary Internet
> Files\
>
> Open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer), click on Tools||Folder
> Options||View
> Select Show hidden files and folders
> Uncheck Hide protected operating system files
> Click Yes
> Click Apply.
>
> In the address path write the following(Make sure to add your username):
>
> C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet
> Files\Low\Content.IE5
>

> > Another problem I am having that just started is with PPS files in
> > outlook.
> > When I click on a PPS file someone sends me in an e-mail I get an error
> > message saying there is no program associated with that type of file and
> > that
> > I should go to the "set associations" application in the control panel.
> > When
> > I go there, power point viewer is set as the default player yet I keep
> > getting the error message. If I click on the "forward" button and then
> > drag
> > the PPS file to the desktop I can click on it and it will open and play
> > normally.
> >
> > Anyone got any ideas?

> Unable to open .PPS file attachments directly, see the following for a
> possible fix.
>
> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

> Thanks for the info Donald -

Unfortunately all it fixed was me being able to find the TIFs.

When I click on certain videos I still get the same message that it is
downloading the file but nothing happens after that. WMP comes up and never
loads the file.
If I go to the TIF location and click on the file, I get a message saying
that it could be dangerous to run system files did I want to open it anyway -
I said yes - WMP came up but the file didn't play. I tried dragging the file
to the WMP box but it wouldn't let me drop it there.

Regarding the PPS problem - I happened to have Reg cure so I ran it then
rebooted but nothing changed. I still can't open the file in outlook. I can
save the file to my desktop and it runs fine from there but not from the
e-mail app. This just started happening a few days ago - it used to work
fine.
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE, OE/WM

> [...]

> downloading the file but nothing happens after that. WMP comes up and
> never
> loads the file.
> If I go to the TIF location and click on the file, I get a message saying
> that it could be dangerous to run system files did I want to open it
> anyway -
> I said yes - WMP came up but the file didn't play. I tried dragging the
> file
> to the WMP box but it wouldn't let me drop it there.
>
> Regarding the PPS problem - I happened to have Reg cure so I ran it then
> rebooted but nothing changed. I still can't open the file in outlook. I
> can
> save the file to my desktop and it runs fine from there but not from the
> e-mail app. This just started happening a few days ago - it used to work

Registry cleaners usually do more harm than good, sometimes rendering the
machine unbootable.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Donald Anadell

Re: video problem
Comments inline below:

"mo32a" <mo32a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Donald Anadell" wrote:
>

>> "mo32a" <mo32a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > When I go to certain sites and click on a video file, windows media
>> > player
>> > comes up and plays the video.
>> >
>> > However at other times a box comes up saying the file is being saved to
>> > temporary internet file, then WMP comes up, but the video never loads.
>> >
>> > I made WMP my default and also tried making quicktime my default, but
>> > when
>> > the box comes up saying the video is being saved to a temporary media
>> > file
>> > it
>> > never shows up again.
>> >
>> > I also don't know how to find the temporary internet files to see if
>> > the
>> > file actually saved there.

>> Viewing Temporary Internet Files in Windows Vista using the Browser:
>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...4f23e1033.mspx
>>
>> Viewing Temporary Internet Files in Windows Vista using Windows Explorer.
>> Location:
>> C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window s\Temporary Internet
>> Files\
>>
>> Open Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer), click on Tools||Folder
>> Options||View
>> Select Show hidden files and folders
>> Uncheck Hide protected operating system files
>> Click Yes
>> Click Apply.
>>
>> In the address path write the following(Make sure to add your username):
>>
>> C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary
>> Internet
>> Files\Low\Content.IE5
>>

>> > Another problem I am having that just started is with PPS files in
>> > outlook.
>> > When I click on a PPS file someone sends me in an e-mail I get an error
>> > message saying there is no program associated with that type of file
>> > and
>> > that
>> > I should go to the "set associations" application in the control panel.
>> > When
>> > I go there, power point viewer is set as the default player yet I keep
>> > getting the error message. If I click on the "forward" button and then
>> > drag
>> > the PPS file to the desktop I can click on it and it will open and play
>> > normally.
>> >
>> > Anyone got any ideas?

>> Unable to open .PPS file attachments directly, see the following for a
>> possible fix.
>>
>> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadell
>>

>> Thanks for the info Donald -

> Unfortunately all it fixed was me being able to find the TIFs.

The question you asked about how to find the Temporary Internet Files in IE7
was actually the only question(of the 3 you asked) that is germane to this
group. Windows Media Player questions are best asked||answered in the
apporpriate newsgroup for Window Media Player:

Windows Media Player Via a News Reader:

Windows Media Player Via the Browser:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...media.play er
http://groups.google.com/group/micro....player/topics

> When I click on certain videos I still get the same message that it is
> downloading the file but nothing happens after that. WMP comes up and
> never
> loads the file.
> If I go to the TIF location and click on the file, I get a message saying
> that it could be dangerous to run system files did I want to open it
> anyway -
> I said yes - WMP came up but the file didn't play. I tried dragging the
> file
> to the WMP box but it wouldn't let me drop it there.
>

> Regarding the PPS problem - I happened to have Reg cure so I ran it then
> rebooted but nothing changed. I still can't open the file in outlook. I
> can
> save the file to my desktop and it runs fine from there but not from the
> e-mail app. This just started happening a few days ago - it used to work
> fine.

Again, this question is not germane to this IE General newsgroup. You would
be better served asking this question in an Outlook Newsgroup.
Outlook General via a News Reader:
Outlook General via the Browser:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm... ang=en&cr=US

However, I did point you to a possible fix for your issue with .PPS
attachments:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

It involves manually editing the Registy. If you are not comfortable trying
this fix, find a friend that is knowlegable with working with the Registry
to perform the fix for you.

As for RegCure, you won't find much support for the use of such products in
this or any other newsgroup.

Read this about Registry Cleaners in general:
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099

Read this about complaints regarding your specific product RegCure:
http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...ure-c4155.html

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

mo32a

Re: video problem

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> [...]

> Again, this question is not germane to this IE General newsgroup. You would
> be better served asking this question in an Outlook Newsgroup.
> Outlook General via a News Reader:
> Outlook General via the Browser:
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm... ang=en&cr=US
>
> However, I did point you to a possible fix for your issue with .PPS
> attachments:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
>
> It involves manually editing the Registy. If you are not comfortable trying
> this fix, find a friend that is knowlegable with working with the Registry
> to perform the fix for you.
>
> As for RegCure, you won't find much support for the use of such products in
> this or any other newsgroup.
>
> Read this about Registry Cleaners in general:
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099
>
> Read this about complaints regarding your specific product RegCure:

When I went to the site in your url there was a little box that showed up
saying "fix pps errors" or some such. I thought that was what you were
pointing me to so when I clicked on it an ad for Reg Cure came up saying it
would fix your PPS problems. As I already had Reg Cure I ran it but it fixed
nothing. I scrolled down a little farther this time and found the bit about
editing your registry entries.

I have Office 7 so I assumed I would have power point viewer 7 but I can't
find one of the files they tell you to edit. power point viewer 12. I can
find power point viewer 11 and have edited it but to no avail.

mo32a

Re: video problem

"mo32a" wrote:

> [...]

> > http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...ure-c4155.html
> >
> > Good luck,
> >
> > Donald Anadell
> >

> > My mistake Donald.

> When I went to the site in your url there was a little box that showed up
> saying "fix pps errors" or some such. I thought that was what you were
> pointing me to so when I clicked on it an ad for Reg Cure came up saying it
> would fix your PPS problems. As I already had Reg Cure I ran it but it fixed
> nothing. I scrolled down a little farther this time and found the bit about
> editing your registry entries.
>
> I have Office 7 so I assumed I would have power point viewer 7 but I can't
> find one of the files they tell you to edit. power point viewer 12. I can
> find power point viewer 11 and have edited it but to no avail.
> >

> > OK I just edited another file that they didn't mention and it is working fine now.

Thanks for your help.

I have reposted my problem with WMP in the appropriate thread. Thanks for
pointing me in the right direction.
\\\\

> "mo32a" wrote:
>

>> "Donald Anadell" wrote:
>>
>> > Comments inline below:
>> >
>> > "mo32a" <mo32a@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > The question you asked about how to find the Temporary Internet Files
>> > in IE7
>> > was actually the only question(of the 3 you asked) that is germane to
>> > this
>> > group. Windows Media Player questions are best asked||answered in the
>> > apporpriate newsgroup for Window Media Player:
>> >
>> > Windows Media Player Via a News Reader:
>> >
>> > Windows Media Player Via the Browser:
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...media.play er
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/micro....player/topics

>> > Again, this question is not germane to this IE General newsgroup. You
>> > would
>> > be better served asking this question in an Outlook Newsgroup.
>> > Outlook General via a News Reader:
>> > Outlook General via the Browser:
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm... ang=en&cr=US
>> >
>> > However, I did point you to a possible fix for your issue with .PPS
>> > attachments:
>> > http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
>> >
>> > It involves manually editing the Registy. If you are not comfortable
>> > trying
>> > this fix, find a friend that is knowlegable with working with the
>> > Registry
>> > to perform the fix for you.
>> >
>> > As for RegCure, you won't find much support for the use of such
>> > products in
>> > this or any other newsgroup.
>> >
>> > Read this about Registry Cleaners in general:
>> > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099
>> >
>> > Read this about complaints regarding your specific product RegCure:
>> > http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...ure-c4155.html
>> >
>> > Good luck,
>> >
>> > Donald Anadell
>> >

>> > My mistake Donald.

>> When I went to the site in your url there was a little box that showed up
>> saying "fix pps errors" or some such. I thought that was what you were
>> pointing me to so when I clicked on it an ad for Reg Cure came up saying
>> it
>> would fix your PPS problems. As I already had Reg Cure I ran it but it
>> fixed
>> nothing. I scrolled down a little farther this time and found the bit
>> about
>> editing your registry entries.
>>
>> I have Office 7 so I assumed I would have power point viewer 7 but I
>> can't
>> find one of the files they tell you to edit. power point viewer 12. I can
>> find power point viewer 11 and have edited it but to no avail.
>> >

>> > OK I just edited another file that they didn't mention and it is
>> > working fine now.

> Thanks for your help.

You're welcome...and good luck.

> I have reposted my problem with WMP in the appropriate thread.

I saw your post in the WMP newsgroup, but there seems to be some confusion
over there because of your reference to TIF in your subject line. The
responders seem to think your are referring to opening .tif||.tiff image
files with WMP...you might want to clear up that misunderstanding in your
thread.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell