windows explorer

Alasdair

windows explorer
I right click an icon on the work bench
then windows explorer stops working then restarts
right click operates as expected in IE7
running spybot, avg, trend online,
used process explorer and found a missing registry key tried recreating it
and bingo all was well for a while the the error reappeared the registry key
was still present

vista home premium patched upto date
thank
Alasdair

Leonard Grey

Re: windows explorer
Could you explain please the exact meaning of:

"...the work bench..."

"...stops working..." (as in "windows explorer stops working").

Which registry key?

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Alasdair wrote:
> I right click an icon on the work bench
> then windows explorer stops working then restarts
> right click operates as expected in IE7
> running spybot, avg, trend online,
> used process explorer and found a missing registry key tried recreating
> it and bingo all was well for a while the the error reappeared the
> registry key was still present
>
> vista home premium patched upto date
> thank
> Alasdair

Re: windows explorer
Windows Explorer is not Internet Explorer.

Are you running Vista SP1?

> ...all was well for a while the the error reappeared the registry key
> was still present

One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
applications may be disallowing the change(s) from "sticking". These include
but are not limited to Ad-aware Pro Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, AVG Anti-Spyware,
Norton AntiVirus, McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware, NOD32, and Zone Alarm
(Free, Pro, & Security Suite).

Otherwise, I'd recommend that you run a more thorough check for hijackware,
including posting your hijackthis log to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0, or other
appropriate forums for review by an expert in such matters, not here.**

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

"Leonard Grey" <l.grey@not.valid.net> wrote in message
> Could you explain please the exact meaning of:
>
> "...the work bench..."

Desktop - my amiga roots are showing

> "...stops working..." (as in "windows explorer stops working").

the exact error message is "windows explorer has stopped working"

> Which registry key?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\explorer\Shell
Icons
was missing and is no longer missing however the error message returned

Alasdair

> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Alasdair wrote:
>> I right click an icon on the work bench
>> then windows explorer stops working then restarts
>> right click operates as expected in IE7
>> running spybot, avg, trend online,
>> used process explorer and found a missing registry key tried recreating
>> it and bingo all was well for a while the the error reappeared the
>> registry key was still present
>>
>> vista home premium patched upto date
>> thank
>> Alasdair

Leonard Grey

Re: windows explorer
There is not nearly enough detail in your question to attempt an
accurate answer. That message can appear for an unlimited number of
reasons. If you have attempted to edit your registry you may have caused
a problem.

I suggest you check Event Viewer for additional details.

I also suggest you thoroughly check your computer for all types of malware.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est