IE 7 and 8 Address Bar Amnesia

Mo

IE 7 and 8 Address Bar Amnesia
EVERY time I restart I lose my browsing hstory in the IE Address Bar.
History is OK and Auto Complete in the Address Bar is OK. But when I power
down, all of the drop down address bar history is deleted. Help!!
--
Mo
Don Varnau

Re: IE 7 and 8 Address Bar Amnesia
Hi,
Assuming Windows XP...

Are you running a third-party toolbar or program which might be causing
this? Something like CCleaner, IE Privacy Keeper, etc. Is a third-party
program clearing the Run history? This may also delete the TypedURLs list.

Right-click the Start Button> Properties> Customize, check "Display Run."

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Mo" <Mo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> EVERY time I restart I lose my browsing history in the IE Address Bar.
> History is OK and Auto Complete in the Address Bar is OK. But when I

power
> down, all of the drop down address bar history is deleted. Help!!
> -
> Mo

williamtell

Re: IE 7 and 8 Address Bar Amnesia
Hello Mo, Suggestion, click Tools> Internet Options>Advanced>scroll down to
security, look for a check at Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when
browser is closed.

Good luck
--
WT

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Assuming Windows XP...
>
> Are you running a third-party toolbar or program which might be causing
> this? Something like CCleaner, IE Privacy Keeper, etc. Is a third-party
> program clearing the Run history? This may also delete the TypedURLs list.
>
> Right-click the Start Button> Properties> Customize, check "Display Run."
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Mo" <Mo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > EVERY time I restart I lose my browsing history in the IE Address Bar.
> > History is OK and Auto Complete in the Address Bar is OK. But when I

> power
> > down, all of the drop down address bar history is deleted. Help!!
> > -
> > Mo

Mo

Re: IE 7 and 8 Address Bar Amnesia
Alas, I had already checked it (to see it wasn't checked, that is). Arghh!
--
Mo

"williamtell" wrote:

> Hello Mo, Suggestion, click Tools> Internet Options>Advanced>scroll down to
> security, look for a check at Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when
> browser is closed.
>
> Good luck
> --
> WT
>

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Assuming Windows XP...
> >
> > Are you running a third-party toolbar or program which might be causing
> > this? Something like CCleaner, IE Privacy Keeper, etc. Is a third-party
> > program clearing the Run history? This may also delete the TypedURLs list.
> >
> > Right-click the Start Button> Properties> Customize, check "Display Run."
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]
> >
> > "Mo" <Mo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > EVERY time I restart I lose my browsing history in the IE Address Bar.
> > > History is OK and Auto Complete in the Address Bar is OK. But when I

> > power
> > > down, all of the drop down address bar history is deleted. Help!!
> > > -
> > > Mo

Mo

Re: IE 7 and 8 Address Bar Amnesia
I think you're on it. XP OS is correct. The program was PC Booster--BIG
mistake. Any way to undo its damage? I have removed the SW, purged anything
with PC Booster in the registry, deleted and reinstalled IE 7 and now have
ver 8 Beta.
Under START properties/START MENU/Customize--I didn't find a "Display Run"
to select. Typed URL's List is what's missing. OK if I restart IE, but a
computer restart deletes them. Auto complete is alive and well if I manually
type in a URL and History file intact also.... ????????

Thanks so much for replying.
--
Mo

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Assuming Windows XP...
>
> Are you running a third-party toolbar or program which might be causing
> this? Something like CCleaner, IE Privacy Keeper, etc. Is a third-party
> program clearing the Run history? This may also delete the TypedURLs list.
>
> Right-click the Start Button> Properties> Customize, check "Display Run."
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Mo" <Mo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > EVERY time I restart I lose my browsing history in the IE Address Bar.
> > History is OK and Auto Complete in the Address Bar is OK. But when I

> power
> > down, all of the drop down address bar history is deleted. Help!!
> > -
> > Mo

Re: IE 7 and 8 Address Bar Amnesia
Think your Registry needs "cleaning" or "repairing"? Read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

Only a Repair Install (of Windows), or possibly a Clean Install, will help
you now.

Installing IE8 Beta 2 with the machine in this state was not necessarily a
wise move IMHO.
--
~PA Bear

Mo wrote:
> I think you're on it. XP OS is correct. The program was PC Booster--BIG
> mistake. Any way to undo its damage? I have removed the SW, purged
> anything with PC Booster in the registry, deleted and reinstalled IE 7 and
> now have ver 8 Beta.
> Under START properties/START MENU/Customize--I didn't find a "Display Run"
> to select. Typed URL's List is what's missing. OK if I restart IE, but a
> computer restart deletes them. Auto complete is alive and well if I
> manually type in a URL and History file intact also.... ????????
>
> Thanks so much for replying.
>
>> Hi,
>> Assuming Windows XP...
>>
>> Are you running a third-party toolbar or program which might be causing
>> this? Something like CCleaner, IE Privacy Keeper, etc. Is a third-party
>> program clearing the Run history? This may also delete the TypedURLs
>> list.
>>
>> Right-click the Start Button> Properties> Customize, check "Display Run."
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>> "Mo" <Mo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> EVERY time I restart I lose my browsing history in the IE Address Bar.
>>> History is OK and Auto Complete in the Address Bar is OK. But when I
>>> power down, all of the drop down address bar history is deleted. Help!!
>>> -
>>> Mo

Don Varnau

Re: IE 7 and 8 Address Bar Amnesia
Hi,
Try Start Button> Properties> Customize> Advanced, is there a check by "Run
command?"

I use the Classic Start Menu and tend to forget that most users don't.

> I think you're on it. XP OS is correct. The program was PC Booster--BIG
> mistake. Any way to undo its damage? I have removed the SW, purged

anything
> with PC Booster in the registry, deleted and reinstalled IE 7 and now have
> ver 8 Beta.
> Under START properties/START MENU/Customize--I didn't find a "Display Run"
> to select. Typed URL's List is what's missing. OK if I restart IE, but a
> computer restart deletes them. Auto complete is alive and well if I

manually
> type in a URL and History file intact also.... ????????
>
> Thanks so much for replying.

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Assuming Windows XP...
> >
> > Are you running a third-party toolbar or program which might be causing
> > this? Something like CCleaner, IE Privacy Keeper, etc. Is a third-party
> > program clearing the Run history? This may also delete the TypedURLs

list.

> > Right-click the Start Button> Properties> Customize, check "Display

Run."

> > Hope this helps,
> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]

> > "Mo" <Mo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > EVERY time I restart I lose my browsing history in the IE Address Bar.
> > > History is OK and Auto Complete in the Address Bar is OK. But when I

> > power
> > > down, all of the drop down address bar history is deleted. Help!!

Mo

Re: IE 7 and 8 Address Bar Amnesia
Thanks, Don.
PA Bear might be right about the fresh install.............Display Run is
checked--no help. Guess there is a PC Booster gremlin in the registry
somewhere still. Registry Mechanic did not solve it. Any last suggestions?
--
Mo

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Try Start Button> Properties> Customize> Advanced, is there a check by "Run
> command?"
>
> I use the Classic Start Menu and tend to forget that most users don't.
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Mo" <Mo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I think you're on it. XP OS is correct. The program was PC Booster--BIG
> > mistake. Any way to undo its damage? I have removed the SW, purged

> anything
> > with PC Booster in the registry, deleted and reinstalled IE 7 and now have
> > ver 8 Beta.
> > Under START properties/START MENU/Customize--I didn't find a "Display Run"
> > to select. Typed URL's List is what's missing. OK if I restart IE, but a
> > computer restart deletes them. Auto complete is alive and well if I

> manually
> > type in a URL and History file intact also.... ????????
> >
> > Thanks so much for replying.

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Assuming Windows XP...
> > >
> > > Are you running a third-party toolbar or program which might be causing
> > > this? Something like CCleaner, IE Privacy Keeper, etc. Is a third-party
> > > program clearing the Run history? This may also delete the TypedURLs

> list.
> > >
> > > Right-click the Start Button> Properties> Customize, check "Display

> Run."
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > > Don
> > > [MS MVP- IE]

> > > "Mo" <Mo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > power

Re: IE 7 and 8 Address Bar Amnesia
Quite the contrary: I'd say PC Booster and/or Registry Mechanic caused the
problem!

Mo wrote:
> Thanks, Don.
> PA Bear might be right about the fresh install.............Display Run is
> checked--no help. Guess there is a PC Booster gremlin in the registry
> somewhere still. Registry Mechanic did not solve it. Any last
> suggestions?
>
>> Hi,
>> Try Start Button> Properties> Customize> Advanced, is there a check by
>> "Run
>> command?"
>>
>> I use the Classic Start Menu and tend to forget that most users don't.
>>
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>> "Mo" <Mo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I think you're on it. XP OS is correct. The program was PC
>>> Booster--BIG
>>> mistake. Any way to undo its damage? I have removed the SW, purged
>>> anything with PC Booster in the registry, deleted and reinstalled IE 7
>>> and now have ver 8 Beta.
>>> Under START properties/START MENU/Customize--I didn't find a "Display
>>> Run"
>>> to select. Typed URL's List is what's missing. OK if I restart IE, but
>>> computer restart deletes them. Auto complete is alive and well if I
>>> manually type in a URL and History file intact also.... ????????
>>>
>>> Thanks so much for replying.

Mo

Re: IE 7 and 8 Address Bar Amnesia
No, I misspoke...we are in severe agreement. RM has always been fine, no
problems for many months. As soon as I installed PC Booster the URL list
vanished. I called their tech support, but I don't speak
Hindi--knowwhatimean? Worthless. Maybe Harry Potter.........The source for
the dropdown URL address window has to be somewhere....... I had the
illusion (thus Harry P idea) I could find a registry entry to correct and it
would be over. Is it worse than that? Thanks.
--
Mo