IE7 Fullscreen Minimize and Restore anomalie

Albanez

IE7 Fullscreen Minimize and Restore anomalie
Has anyone else experienced this annoying problem?

When in Fullscreen mode, mouse up to the nav bar and click the Minimize
button. Then click the tab on the Taskbar to restore to Fullscreen.

On my computer (WinXP Home recently installed SP3) the restored fullscreen
window is about 5 pixels to the left and a small sliver of the Desktop is
visible. I then have to leave and re-enter Fullscreen mode to get the window
back to its proper position. Grrrrrr!

I think it started doing this after I installed WMP 11, but can't be sure
what is causing it. Any reaffirming replies or a bug fix would be
appreciated. Thank you!
Don Varnau

Re: IE7 Fullscreen Minimize and Restore anomalie
Hi,
Do you mean Maximized or Full-screen (F11 key?)

Hi,
To reset IE window size, download and run the REG file from
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm >>> Tip #6

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Albanez" <Albanez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone else experienced this annoying problem?
>
> When in Fullscreen mode, mouse up to the nav bar and click the Minimize
> button. Then click the tab on the Taskbar to restore to Fullscreen.
>
> On my computer (WinXP Home recently installed SP3) the restored fullscreen
> window is about 5 pixels to the left and a small sliver of the Desktop is
> visible. I then have to leave and re-enter Fullscreen mode to get the

window
> back to its proper position. Grrrrrr!
>
> I think it started doing this after I installed WMP 11, but can't be sure
> what is causing it. Any reaffirming replies or a bug fix would be
> appreciated. Thank you!

Albanez

Re: IE7 Fullscreen Minimize and Restore anomalie
Hi
I said Fullscreen, which implies that the window is maximized, or it
wouldn't be fullscreen. And yes, I know about the F11 key. Did you try my
procedure to re-create the bug??? If you like, I can break it down into
simple steps:

Step 1) IE7 in fullscreen mode. (Use F11 if you like.)
Step 2) Click on the Minimize button. (Top right-hand corner of the screen
furthest to the left of the 3 buttons.)
Step 3)Find the Minimized tab for the browser window on you Taskbar and
click it. (In order to restore the minimized window to fullscreen.)
Step 4) Is the Fullscreen window slightly to the left of where you would
expect it to be with the Taskbar showing at the bottom of the screen? Mine
is, and that's the problem. I then have to exit and re-enter Fullscreen mode
to correct it.

Please try this and respond. Thanks!

Alan

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Do you mean Maximized or Full-screen (F11 key?)
>
> Hi,
> To reset IE window size, download and run the REG file from
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm >>> Tip #6
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau

Re: IE7 Fullscreen Minimize and Restore anomalie
Hi,
I do not see this happeking on IE7 / XP SP3. That's why I recommended that
you use the REG file to reset your IE window size.

You might see if a browser add-on is causing this.
See: http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
for troubleshooting information.
More at:

If WMP11 causing this, I haven't heard of a fix, but I also have not heard
other reports of this problem nor any connection to WMP11.

> Hi
> I said Fullscreen, which implies that the window is maximized, or it
> wouldn't be fullscreen. And yes, I know about the F11 key. Did you try my
> procedure to re-create the bug??? If you like, I can break it down into
> simple steps:
>
> Step 1) IE7 in fullscreen mode. (Use F11 if you like.)
> Step 2) Click on the Minimize button. (Top right-hand corner of the screen
> furthest to the left of the 3 buttons.)
> Step 3)Find the Minimized tab for the browser window on you Taskbar and
> click it. (In order to restore the minimized window to fullscreen.)
> Step 4) Is the Fullscreen window slightly to the left of where you would
> expect it to be with the Taskbar showing at the bottom of the screen? Mine
> is, and that's the problem. I then have to exit and re-enter Fullscreen

mode
> to correct it.
>
> Please try this and respond. Thanks!
>
> Alan

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Do you mean Maximized or Full-screen (F11 key?)
> >
> > Hi,
> > To reset IE window size, download and run the REG file from
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm >>> Tip #6
> >

> "Albanez" <Albanez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone else experienced this annoying problem?
> >
> > When in Fullscreen mode, mouse up to the nav bar and click the Minimize
> > button. Then click the tab on the Taskbar to restore to Fullscreen.
> >
> > On my computer (WinXP Home recently installed SP3) the restored

fullscreen
> > window is about 5 pixels to the left and a small sliver of the Desktop

is
> > visible. I then have to leave and re-enter Fullscreen mode to get the

> window
> > back to its proper position. Grrrrrr!
> >
> > I think it started doing this after I installed WMP 11, but can't be

sure
> > what is causing it. Any reaffirming replies or a bug fix would be
> > appreciated. Thank you!

Albanez

Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> I do not see this happeking on IE7 / XP SP3. That's why I recommended that
> you use the REG file to reset your IE window size.
>
> You might see if a browser add-on is causing this.
> See: http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
> for troubleshooting information.
> More at:
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
>
> If WMP11 causing this, I haven't heard of a fix, but I also have not heard
> other reports of this problem nor any connection to WMP11.
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]

Don,
I doubt that this utility will help me. Aside from the reported bug, my
windows open fine, and I don't particularly want all of my windows opening
maximized. So I don't want to run it.

To give some more background on my issue... I wiped my computer clean, and
started over. Not because of this bug, but because installing Service Pack 3
caused my computer to crash. When I got my machine back to an acceptable
state and tried to minimize the fullscreen window and restore it, I noticed
the bug which I never had before. So I wiped my machine clean again, with the
intention of finding the cause. I checked the functionality after every major
move. But with the restarts and fidgeting with settings, I guess I got lost.

It seemed that installing WMP 11 was the cause, but it also could have been
when I enabled Automatic Updates and the latest IE7 patches were applied. So
I can't be sure. But regardless of those facts, here I am with this bug.

I have Corel Capture, so I could send you a screenshot of the result, if
that would help, but I doubt it will. So I guess I'll just wait for more
people to reply with the same bug.

Thanks for trying to assist, but with the endless list of possibilities and
the fact that you gurus only work with Microsoft software and always do
things correctly, there's no way for you to know my system, even though I'm a
logical guy and try to follow manufacturer specs.

If you want a screenshot of the result, let me know.

PS I already tried the IE7 with no add-ons option, and I still get the same
result.

Alan
Albanez

Re: IE7 Fullscreen Minimize and Restore anomalie
For example, Sometimes installing software with your firewall/anti-virus
software active will create failures that may go un-noticed, even if the
install completes successfully. I just ran into this one the other day,
trying to install the drivers for my video card. My video card worked, but
the software to control it was nowhere to be found. That's what I mean by
endless possibilities. Anyway, if you have anything helpful for me, let me
know.

I may be willing to try your REG utility option, as long as you can assure
me of a way to reverse it, should any further undesirable phenomena arise...

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> I do not see this happeking on IE7 / XP SP3. That's why I recommended that
> you use the REG file to reset your IE window size.
>
> You might see if a browser add-on is causing this.
> See: http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
> for troubleshooting information.
> More at:
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
>
> If WMP11 causing this, I haven't heard of a fix, but I also have not heard
> other reports of this problem nor any connection to WMP11.
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Albanez" <Albanez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > I said Fullscreen, which implies that the window is maximized, or it
> > wouldn't be fullscreen. And yes, I know about the F11 key. Did you try my
> > procedure to re-create the bug??? If you like, I can break it down into
> > simple steps:
> >
> > Step 1) IE7 in fullscreen mode. (Use F11 if you like.)
> > Step 2) Click on the Minimize button. (Top right-hand corner of the screen
> > furthest to the left of the 3 buttons.)
> > Step 3)Find the Minimized tab for the browser window on you Taskbar and
> > click it. (In order to restore the minimized window to fullscreen.)
> > Step 4) Is the Fullscreen window slightly to the left of where you would
> > expect it to be with the Taskbar showing at the bottom of the screen? Mine
> > is, and that's the problem. I then have to exit and re-enter Fullscreen

> mode
> > to correct it.
> >
> > Please try this and respond. Thanks!
> >
> > Alan

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Do you mean Maximized or Full-screen (F11 key?)
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > To reset IE window size, download and run the REG file from
> > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm >>> Tip #6
> > >

> > "Albanez" <Albanez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Has anyone else experienced this annoying problem?
> > >
> > > When in Fullscreen mode, mouse up to the nav bar and click the Minimize
> > > button. Then click the tab on the Taskbar to restore to Fullscreen.
> > >
> > > On my computer (WinXP Home recently installed SP3) the restored

> fullscreen
> > > window is about 5 pixels to the left and a small sliver of the Desktop

> is
> > > visible. I then have to leave and re-enter Fullscreen mode to get the

> > window
> > > back to its proper position. Grrrrrr!
> > >
> > > I think it started doing this after I installed WMP 11, but can't be

> sure
> > > what is causing it. Any reaffirming replies or a bug fix would be
> > > appreciated. Thank you!

Don Varnau

Re: IE7 Fullscreen Minimize and Restore anomalie
Hi,
You can make this registry edit yourself, without running the REG file. That
way, you will know exactly what's happening. This registry edit merely
allows IE window placement to return to default.

With IE not running, run regedit and navigate to the key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

Export that key so that you can easily reverse the change.
Delete the DWORD "Window_Placement"
Close regedit and restart the computer.

> For example, Sometimes installing software with your firewall/anti-virus
> software active will create failures that may go un-noticed, even if the
> install completes successfully. I just ran into this one the other day,
> trying to install the drivers for my video card. My video card worked, but
> the software to control it was nowhere to be found. That's what I mean by
> endless possibilities. Anyway, if you have anything helpful for me, let me
> know.
>
> I may be willing to try your REG utility option, as long as you can assure
> me of a way to reverse it, should any further undesirable phenomena

arise...

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I do not see this happeking on IE7 / XP SP3. That's why I recommended

that
> > you use the REG file to reset your IE window size.
> >
> > You might see if a browser add-on is causing this.
> > See: http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
> > for troubleshooting information.
> > More at:
> > IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >
> > If WMP11 causing this, I haven't heard of a fix, but I also have not

heard
> > other reports of this problem nor any connection to WMP11.

> > "Albanez" <Albanez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > > I said Fullscreen, which implies that the window is maximized, or it
> > > wouldn't be fullscreen. And yes, I know about the F11 key. Did you try

my
> > > procedure to re-create the bug??? If you like, I can break it down

into
> > > simple steps:
> > >
> > > Step 1) IE7 in fullscreen mode. (Use F11 if you like.)
> > > Step 2) Click on the Minimize button. (Top right-hand corner of the

screen
> > > furthest to the left of the 3 buttons.)
> > > Step 3)Find the Minimized tab for the browser window on you Taskbar

and
> > > click it. (In order to restore the minimized window to fullscreen.)
> > > Step 4) Is the Fullscreen window slightly to the left of where you

would
> > > expect it to be with the Taskbar showing at the bottom of the screen?

Mine
> > > is, and that's the problem. I then have to exit and re-enter

Fullscreen
> > mode
> > > to correct it.
> > >
> > > Please try this and respond. Thanks!
> > >
> > > Alan

> > > "Albanez" <Albanez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Minimize

> > fullscreen

Desktop
> > is

the
> > > window back to its proper position. Grrrrrr!

> > sure

Albanez

Re: IE7 Fullscreen Minimize and Restore anomalie
Nope. That didn't help. All that does is determine where the initial IE
window opens on the screen. Nothing to do with Fullscreen mode.

Is there a way to attach an image file to a post in here?
Donald Anadell

> Nope. That didn't help. All that does is determine where the initial IE
> window opens on the screen. Nothing to do with Fullscreen mode.
>
> Is there a way to attach an image file to a post in here?

I've tried to reproduce you symptom here and I can not reproduce it. I've
tried it on 5 different machines here, all Windows XP Home SP3 fully patched
machines. All with WMP11 installed on them.

Opening IE in Fullscreen mode(F11) and then minimizing it to the
Taskbar-followed by clicking on the Taskbar icon to restore the Fullscreen
Window does not place the Fullscreen window off screen by any amount of
pixels on any of the machines I've tested here.

That suggests to me that your problem might be related to one of the
following:

a) Third party Toolbar add-ons. Have you tried your experiment with IE7 in
No Add-ons mode?
b) Video card drivers. You said you wiped your HD, do you have the latest
drivers for your Video card installed?
c) Faulty Monitor settings or perhaps you Monitor needs replacing, have
you tried it with a different Monitor?

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

Albanez

Re: IE7 Fullscreen Minimize and Restore anomalie

> a) Third party Toolbar add-ons. Have you tried your experiment with IE7 in
> No Add-ons mode?

I have, and same thing.

> b) Video card drivers. You said you wiped your HD, do you have the latest
> drivers for your Video card installed?

I have the drivers from the cd, which have worked well, up to this point.

> c) Faulty Monitor settings or perhaps you Monitor needs replacing, have
> you tried it with a different Monitor?

My monitor is my new LG LCD HDTV, but it appears the same on my 15" flat
panel as well. I'm certain it's not my monitor. Like I said this didn't
happen with SP2 and the same software installed.

I may try a full reset of IE, or possibly an uninstall/re-install.