INTERNET EXPLORER: DELETED FAVORITES, RECOVERY POSSIBLE?

Chi227

Re: INTERNET EXPLORER: DELETED FAVORITES, RECOVERY POSSIBLE?
Alan:

Thank you for posting a response. I was not able to recover them, but I have
found your recommendation of Restoration very useful. I appreciate you taking
the time to mention it. I don't have my Favorites back, but this program
works quite well.

A bit of advice: back up your favorites before you install a bookmark manager.

Thanks again ---

Jim

"Alan Edwards" wrote:

> There is not usually another place, assuming you don't have a backup.
>
> You may have a slim chance with a third-party recover program.
> I use this:
> Restoration 2.5.14 Freeware undelete:
> http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html
>
> ....Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP Windows - Internet Explorer
> http://dts-l.com/index.htm
>

> On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 11:40:07 -0700, in
> microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general, Chi227
> <Chi227@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have deleted several IE Favorite folders, along with individual Favorities.
> >I went to the Recycle Bin to see if I could restore them, but they were not
> >there. Does this mean they are gone forever, or is there another place I
> >could look for them? Is it possible to use a third-party recover program to
> >get them back, and if so, where should I use it to find the deleted files?

Chi227

Re: INTERNET EXPLORER: DELETED FAVORITES, RECOVERY POSSIBLE?
Didn't you mean 'you're', short for 'you are' ?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> They're gone and your SOL.
>
> Chi227 wrote:
> > I have deleted several IE Favorite folders, along with individual
> > Favorities. I went to the Recycle Bin to see if I could restore them, but
> > they were not there. Does this mean they are gone forever, or is there
> > another place I could look for them? Is it possible to use a third-party
> > recover program to get them back, and if so, where should I use it to find
> > the deleted files?

Susan Richardson

Deleted "Favorites" Folders in Internet Explorer
This is in response to a posting on 06-Sep-08 by Chi22, who accidentally deleted some Favorites folders on Internet Explorer (shown at end of this email).

I did the same this morning, and found and restored them as I'll explain below. I'm not a computer expert, and so did this on a necessity-is-the-mother-of-all-invention (as well as a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants) basis, but I hope it helps and that a member having response privileges can post it (and perhaps forward it on to Chi22, given the time lapse since his posting).

First, I used the Search function within "My Computer" to locate any files containing .url in their names because it's my understanding that link files end in .url. All the deleted links were there. The next question was how to get them back into Favorites.

Second, as it turned out, perhaps the deleted links were there because they weren't actually deleted, which brings me to my next suggestion. After painstakingly having found a way to copy each link to my internet address box one at a time so I could go into each site and then re-add it to my Favorites (I had done this only twice when I made the following discovery, thanks be), I somehow inadvertently opened one of my other Favorites folders and there was the lost folder, appearing as a subfolder with all its [original] links!

I, therefore, humbly suggest that anyone in this predicament start by methodically checking within each of his or her Favorites folders and subfolders to be sure the lost folder(s) didn't accidentally get bumped into one of them (as I realized had been the case when I was trying to reorganize my Favorites this morning).

It would seem to make sense to try this manual search for the lost ("deleted") folder(s) first. As a last resort, one can try the search on "My Computer" for .url files as noted above.

I'm not a member of your group and don't know how to join (and don't know why you'd want a pure amateur mucking around on your advice board anyway), so this is sent with the fond wish that one of you will post it, and perhaps Chi22 and anyone else whose heart sinks on staring at a computer screen from which one or more Favorites folders have disappeared will benefit from it.

Thank you for being there on the Internet where we, the unknowing, so dearly need your expertise.

With warm regards,

Susan

Original posting by Chi22:

INTERNET EXPLORER: DELETED FAVORITES, RECOVERY POSSIBLE? - Chi22
06-Sep-08 02:40:07

I have deleted several IE Favorite folders, along with individual Favorites.
I went to the Recycle Bin to see if I could restore them, but they were not
there. Does this mean they are gone forever, or is there another place I
could look for them? Is it possible to use a third-party recover program to
get them back, and if so, where should I use it to find the deleted files?

Re: Deleted "Favorites" Folders in Internet Explorer
couldn't tell already]

Susan Richardson wrote:
> [...]
> screen from which one or more Favorites folders have disappeared will
> benefit from it.
>
> Thank you for being there on the Internet where we, the unknowing, so
> dearly need your expertise.
>
> With warm regards,
>
> Susan
>

> Original posting by Chi22:
>

> INTERNET EXPLORER: DELETED FAVORITES, RECOVERY POSSIBLE? - Chi22
> 06-Sep-08 02:40:07
>
> I have deleted several IE Favorite folders, along with individual
> Favorites.
> I went to the Recycle Bin to see if I could restore them, but they were
> not
> there. Does this mean they are gone forever, or is there another place I
> could look for them? Is it possible to use a third-party recover program
> get them back, and if so, where should I use it to find the deleted files?

Mairrunner

RE: Deleted "Favorites" Folders in Internet Explorer
Thanks, Susan. This was a big help! I somehow accidentally moved my
favorites into another folder and came here for help. Why the others
couldn't be a tad more understanding and helpful is beyond me. May good
karma shine upon you and your computer!