Re: Internet Explorer 7 Error With Vista

ray

Re: Internet Explorer 7 Error With Vista
I am just now having a very similar problem with my internet explorer. My
laptop is HP, it came with windows vista. I've had the laptop for a year now
and only recently the "Internet Explorer has stopped working" dialog box has
appeared. I can't use Internet Explorer and unfortunatly I don't have any
other way of accessing the internet from my laptop so I can't download any of
the malwares you've recommended.

I've tried to open Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons) but it just says that
"Internet Explorer is already running with Add-Ons disabled would you like to
contine to your homepage?" When I click to go to homepage the "IE has stopped
working" appears and shuts down IE.

I've also right clicked on IE and used Run as Administrator but same problem.

I've also reset Internet Explorer and then restart computer but still same
problem.

I also have this problem when I try to use Windows Live messenger.

Sometimes when I'm fast enough and don't give IE time to load completely it
will go to a webpage but then the "Internet Explorer has stopped working"
will pop up and shut down.

Any and all help appreciated. Thank you.
Ray

"Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:

> "koz4poz" <koz4poz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am afraid I am not any help because I am having the same problem and
> >trying
> > to find help myself. This crap happens to me everytime I play a game on
> > yahoo. I get that msg that internet explorer has stopped working etc. etc.
> > If
> > you find a solution before I do please help me.
> >
> > "travman" wrote:
> >
> >> I recently installed Windows Vista Home Premium Edition for my PC and am
> >> having major issues with Internet Explorer 7. Everytime I try to open IE7
> >> or
> >> go to the help centre to follow an online help link I receive the
> >> following
> >> error message:
> >>
> >> "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will
> >> close
> >> and notify you if a solution is available."
> >>
> >> Then nothing happens. Can anyone help me out?
> >>
> >> I also receive this random error message:
> >>
> >> "Windows host process (Rundll32) has stopped working
> >> A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
> >> Windows will close and notify you if a solution is available."
> >>
> >> If anyone knows anything please help me out. It would be much
> >> appreciated.
> >>

> I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
> 1. Incompatible add-ons: What if you right click the IE icon on the desktop
> and choose Start Without Add-ons?
> Or go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> Explorer (No Add-ons).
>
> 2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
> Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. See this
> article first:
> How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> 3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
> All MS-MVP Sites.
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
>
> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
> For quite a few people it's by installing programs like Messenger Plus,
> whose ads for
> malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
> owe it to the author. See also:
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971
> Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and see
> what else is being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not sure
> of.
>
> You might also try the steps here:
> "Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"
> [...]

Don Varnau

Re: Internet Explorer 7 Error With Vista
Hi,
You may have an incompatible program running which is not showing up as an
add-on.
See: 936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)

For purposes of having a working browser, can you download Firefox 2 from
another computer and get it onto this machine via CD, DVD, USB drive? Try a
friend, relative, neighbor, co-worker.
(~6 MB) http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox.../releasenotes/

Then start on the malware removal links Frank posted.

If this is a malware problem, SFC probably won't help, but you might try
System File Checker:
936212- How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating
system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/en-us

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]