Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

What Causes IE to prompt user to save passwords?

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2008
Simon White
 

Posts: n/a
What Causes IE to prompt user to save passwords?
Hi

I created a webpage with a user name and password controls embedded in a
table but IE never prompts the user to save the passwords. The controls have
the name and id properties set to "username" and "password" respectively.
The password input has the type set to "password". The webpage is accessed
using https protocol. Can anyone explain why IE will not save the password
when it does for other pages? FireFox remembers the password but I cannot
seem to get IE to do the same. I have the preferences set to "Prompt me to
save passwords" so why does IE not recognize the password. It will
autocomplete the user name but nothing on the password.

Thanks,
Simon
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2008
VanguardLH
 

Posts: n/a
Re: What Causes IE to prompt user to save passwords?
Simon White wrote:

> Hi
>
> I created a webpage with a user name and password controls embedded in a
> table but IE never prompts the user to save the passwords. The controls have
> the name and id properties set to "username" and "password" respectively.
> The password input has the type set to "password". The webpage is accessed
> using https protocol. Can anyone explain why IE will not save the password
> when it does for other pages? FireFox remembers the password but I cannot
> seem to get IE to do the same. I have the preferences set to "Prompt me to
> save passwords" so why does IE not recognize the password. It will
> autocomplete the user name but nothing on the password.
>
> Thanks,
> Simon


You didn't show any code for your problematic web page. When you
defined the input field, did you use:

<input name="password" type=password ...>

I happened upon http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms972961.aspx
which shows the type being declared for the input control. I also went
to Yahoo Mail's login page (using HTTPS) and looked at its code and
found:

<input name="passwd" id="passwd" value="" ... type="password" ...>

I'm not HTML expert. Questions about how to code a web page probably
aren't germane in a newsgroup that discusses the client program. There
are HTML programming newsgroups to ask about such problems.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2008
Simon White
 

Posts: n/a
Re: What Causes IE to prompt user to save passwords?
Here is my exact code:

<div id="login">
<form enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
method="post">
<input type="hidden" value="<%= Process.GetCaptcha() %>"
name="_PostBack" />
<table width="700px" cellpadding="4">
<tr><td align="left" class="usercell1a"><label
for="username" id="lbluser">User </label></td>
<td align="left" class="usercell1b"><input
name="username" id="username" type="text" class="widget" tabindex="1"
onmouseover="window.status='Enter your user name for this site.';"
style="width: 100px;" /><br/></td>
<td rowspan="3"><%= Process.GetLoginErr() %></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="left" class="passwordcell1a"><label
for="password" id="lblpassword">Password </label></td>
<td align="left" class="passwordcell1b"><input
name="password" id="password" type="password" class="widget" tabindex="2"
onmouseover="window.status='Enter your password.';" style="width: 100px;"
/><br /></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td align="left"><span id="captcha"><%=
Process.cCaptchaExp %></span></td>
<td align="left"><input name="txtCaptchaExp"
class="widget" tabindex="3" onmouseover="window.status='Enter the answer to
this expression.';" style="width: 30px;" /><br /></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td colspan="2" align="center"><input type="submit"
value="Login" name="login" tabindex="4" onmouseover="window.status='Click
this button to login and access your desktop.';" class="widget"
style="width:100px;"/></td>
</tr>
</table>
</form>
<p id="loginnote">Note: All three items are required for logon.</p>
</div>

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> Simon White wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I created a webpage with a user name and password controls embedded in a
> > table but IE never prompts the user to save the passwords. The controls have
> > the name and id properties set to "username" and "password" respectively.
> > The password input has the type set to "password". The webpage is accessed
> > using https protocol. Can anyone explain why IE will not save the password
> > when it does for other pages? FireFox remembers the password but I cannot
> > seem to get IE to do the same. I have the preferences set to "Prompt me to
> > save passwords" so why does IE not recognize the password. It will
> > autocomplete the user name but nothing on the password.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Simon

>
> You didn't show any code for your problematic web page. When you
> defined the input field, did you use:
>
> <input name="password" type=password ...>
>
> I happened upon http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms972961.aspx
> which shows the type being declared for the input control. I also went
> to Yahoo Mail's login page (using HTTPS) and looked at its code and
> found:
>
> <input name="passwd" id="passwd" value="" ... type="password" ...>
>
> I'm not HTML expert. Questions about how to code a web page probably
> aren't germane in a newsgroup that discusses the client program. There
> are HTML programming newsgroups to ask about such problems.
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: What Causes IE to prompt user to save passwords?
See these MSDN pages: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx &
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740476.aspx

MSDN IE Development Forums
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/def...D=253&SiteID=1
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Simon White wrote:
> Hi
>
> I created a webpage with a user name and password controls embedded in a
> table but IE never prompts the user to save the passwords. The controls
> have the name and id properties set to "username" and "password"
> respectively. The password input has the type set to "password". The
> webpage is accessed using https protocol. Can anyone explain why IE will
> not save the password when it does for other pages? FireFox remembers the
> password but I cannot seem to get IE to do the same. I have the
> preferences set to "Prompt me to save passwords" so why does IE not
> recognize the password. It will autocomplete the user name but nothing on
> the password.
>
> Thanks,
> Simon


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 09-05-2008
VanguardLH
 

Posts: n/a
Re: What Causes IE to prompt user to save passwords?
Simon White wrote:

> "VanguardLH" wrote:
>
>> Simon White wrote:
>>
>>> I created a webpage with a user name and password controls embedded in a
>>> table but IE never prompts the user to save the passwords. The controls have
>>> the name and id properties set to "username" and "password" respectively.
>>> The password input has the type set to "password". The webpage is accessed
>>> using https protocol. Can anyone explain why IE will not save the password
>>> when it does for other pages? FireFox remembers the password but I cannot
>>> seem to get IE to do the same. I have the preferences set to "Prompt me to
>>> save passwords" so why does IE not recognize the password. It will
>>> autocomplete the user name but nothing on the password.

>>
>> You didn't show any code for your problematic web page. When you
>> defined the input field, did you use:
>>
>> <input name="password" type=password ...>
>>
>> I happened upon http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms972961.aspx
>> which shows the type being declared for the input control. I also went
>> to Yahoo Mail's login page (using HTTPS) and looked at its code and
>> found:
>>
>> <input name="passwd" id="passwd" value="" ... type="password" ...>
>>
>> I'm not HTML expert. Questions about how to code a web page probably
>> aren't germane in a newsgroup that discusses the client program. There
>> are HTML programming newsgroups to ask about such problems.

>
> Here is my exact code:
>
> <div id="login">
> <form enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded"
> method="post">
> <input type="hidden" value="<%= Process.GetCaptcha() %>"
> name="_PostBack" />
> <table width="700px" cellpadding="4">
> <tr><td align="left" class="usercell1a"><label
> for="username" id="lbluser">User </label></td>
> <td align="left" class="usercell1b"><input
> name="username" id="username" type="text" class="widget" tabindex="1"
> onmouseover="window.status='Enter your user name for this site.';"
> style="width: 100px;" /><br/></td>
> <td rowspan="3"><%= Process.GetLoginErr() %></td>
> </tr>
> <tr>
> <td align="left" class="passwordcell1a"><label
> for="password" id="lblpassword">Password </label></td>
> <td align="left" class="passwordcell1b"><input
> name="password" id="password" type="password" class="widget" tabindex="2"
> onmouseover="window.status='Enter your password.';" style="width: 100px;"
> /><br /></td>
> </tr>
> <tr>
> <td align="left"><span id="captcha"><%=
> Process.cCaptchaExp %></span></td>
> <td align="left"><input name="txtCaptchaExp"
> class="widget" tabindex="3" onmouseover="window.status='Enter the answer to
> this expression.';" style="width: 30px;" /><br /></td>
> </tr>
> <tr>
> <td colspan="2" align="center"><input type="submit"
> value="Login" name="login" tabindex="4" onmouseover="window.status='Click
> this button to login and access your desktop.';" class="widget"
> style="width:100px;"/></td>
> </tr>
> </table>
> </form>
> <p id="loginnote">Note: All three items are required for logon.</p>
> </div>


You might want to use W3's validator:

http://validator.w3.org/

My guess is that you use "/>" to close the "<input" tag instead of just
">". The onmouseover Javascript event might be screwing up the input
control. Have you tried using just a simply input control without
adding popups to prompt the user as to what input the control is for?

This is the error returned by the validator:

"The sequence <FOO /> can be interpreted in at least two different ways,
depending on the DOCTYPE of the document. For HTML 4.01 Strict, the '/'
terminates the tag <FOO (with an implied '>'). However, since many
browsers don't interpret it this way, even in the presence of an HTML
4.01 Strict DOCTYPE, it is best to avoid it completely in pure HTML
documents and reserve its use solely for those written in XHTML."

Since I didn't have the intial <HTML> and <BODY> tags with their
parameters, like to specify the document type, the validator fell back
to DTD. I just wrapped your code with dummy HTML and BODY tags.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MS outlook wont save passwords SBR microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 9 02-16-2009 14:23
IE7 won't prompt or save passwords Bruno G. microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 4 08-14-2008 22:22
Email passwords won't save. RavenStandsAlone microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 6 02-16-2008 05:08
Outlook 2007 won't save passwords in Vista...save password box che Craig microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 10 11-16-2007 21:51
Unable to save e-mail passwords =?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGg=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail 9 02-28-2007 20:36




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:51.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120