Javascript Performance of IE6 and IE7

thorstencoordes

Javascript Performance of IE6 and IE7
When you use large javascript arrays in IE6 you have a performance
problem and in IE7 you run into an array limit error. Here is an
example: http://www.iac-paper.com/abstractcd/2007/

Will that be fixed in IE7? IE8 is running fine. All other browsers are
also quick enough too handle large arrays.

Regards
Leonard Grey

Re: Javascript Performance of IE6 and IE7
This page opens quickly for me in IE 6 and also in IE 7 -- and in FF3,
for that matter -- and I did not encounter error messages. Perhaps if
you could be more specific about the 'performance problem'?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

thorstencoordes wrote:
> When you use large javascript arrays in IE6 you have a performance
> problem and in IE7 you run into an array limit error. Here is an
> example: http://www.iac-paper.com/abstractcd/2007/
>
> Will that be fixed in IE7? IE8 is running fine. All other browsers are
> also quick enough too handle large arrays.
>
> Regards

Re: Javascript Performance of IE6 and IE7
The page opened without problem and in less than 3 seconds in IE7/WinXP SP3.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

thorstencoordes wrote:
> When you use large javascript arrays in IE6 you have a performance
> problem and in IE7 you run into an array limit error. Here is an
> example: http://www.iac-paper.com/abstractcd/2007/
>
> Will that be fixed in IE7? IE8 is running fine. All other browsers are
> also quick enough too handle large arrays.
>
> Regards

Doug

RE: Javascript Performance of IE6 and IE7 - large javascript array
I too have this problem with very large javascript arrays. They work fine
under IE6 but not under IE7. When you load thorstencoordes sample page
below, make sure you have your display a message for javascript error
enabled. - otherwise you might not notice the error icon on window.

I can find no definitive answer on the web from microsoft to confirm this
issue or offer a solution.

The only possible solution I can offer is to split the very large array into
two or more segments, each segment with its own unique name. But of course
this causes the code that operates on what was one array to be modified to
work with 2 or more arrays.

thorstencoordes got around it by using an xml doc for ie7 only and then
parsing it as needed (hopefuly I summerized that right)

Does anyone have a reference point for definitive answer from microsoft on
this issue?

Thanks in advance
Doug

"thorstencoordes" wrote:

> When you use large javascript arrays in IE6 you have a performance
> problem and in IE7 you run into an array limit error. Here is an
> example: http://www.iac-paper.com/abstractcd/2007/
>
> Will that be fixed in IE7? IE8 is running fine. All other browsers are
> also quick enough too handle large arrays.
>
> Regards

rob^_^

Re: Javascript Performance of IE6 and IE7 - large javascript array
Hi Doug,

Validate your pages with the W3C validator -

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...stractcd/2007/

IE6(SP1) on XP has known issues with orphaned tags..... Your page is missing
closing tags (see above report)

I would not begin to compare IE6 and 7 performance on the page (including
scripts) until all other issues are ruled out.

Regards.