Re: Help, my browser has been hijacked!

Peter Foldes

Re: Help, my browser has been hijacked!
Crossposted to the IE7 newsgroup for convenience

--
Peter

"Nut that holds the wheel" <kraskamess@dakotacomm.net> wrote in message news:Z9SdnXCQifCf-F3VnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@posted.dakotacomip...
>I am running Internet Explorer 7 (7.0.5730.13) under Windows XP Service Pack
> 3.
> Recently, when I do a search from Google or Yahoo, I get back the expected
> listing of hits. For example, I did a search on "Internet Explorer Beta 2".
> I got a page full of references, one of which was a link to the Windows
> Internet Explorer 8 Home Page at
> www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/beta. When I click on this link,
> a new page opens with the following in the address bar:
> http://www.findstuff.com/search.php?...gwO_j2Xw%2A%2A
> This is obviously not the Microsoft web site. Something has hijacked my
> search engine and is redirecting my searches.
>
> If I click on the back arrow from here, I momentarily see a URL that starts
> with www.topdir2.com/feed/click... but I end up back at the findstuff.com
> page.
>
> Sometimes I am redirected to the lowpriceshopper.com page or some other
> page, and some times I am not redirected at all.
>
> How can I find out what is causing this redirection and who/what I have to
> kill to fix this problem? Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Jim

Don Varnau

Re: Help, my browser has been hijacked!

Hi,
See these sites for help, including the posting of a HijackThis log to one
of the forums where HJT logs are analyzed:

The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html

Removing Malware:

Partial list of forums- there are others:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
http://forums.whatthetech.com/forums.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/

You will have to register to post to any of these forums and should look for
one or more "Important- Read this first" type messages, at whatever forum
you choose, for specific instructions.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Crossposted to the IE7 newsgroup for convenience

Peter
- - - -

"Nut that holds the wheel" <kraskamess@dakotacomm.net> wrote in message
>I am running Internet Explorer 7 (7.0.5730.13) under Windows XP Service

Pack
> 3.
> Recently, when I do a search from Google or Yahoo, I get back the expected
> listing of hits. For example, I did a search on "Internet Explorer Beta

2".
> I got a page full of references, one of which was a link to the Windows
> Internet Explorer 8 Home Page at
> www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/beta. When I click on this

link,
> a new page opens with the following in the address bar:

http://www.findstuff.com/search.php?...gwO_j2Xw%2A%2A
> This is obviously not the Microsoft web site. Something has hijacked my
> search engine and is redirecting my searches.
>
> If I click on the back arrow from here, I momentarily see a URL that

starts
> with www.topdir2.com/feed/click... but I end up back at the findstuff.com
> page.
>
> Sometimes I am redirected to the lowpriceshopper.com page or some other
> page, and some times I am not redirected at all.
>
> How can I find out what is causing this redirection and who/what I have to
> kill to fix this problem? Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Jim

Nut that holds the wheel

Re: Help, my browser has been hijacked!
Lots of very useful information here. Thank you very much.
Jim

> Hi,
> See these sites for help, including the posting of a HijackThis log to one
> of the forums where HJT logs are analyzed:
>
> The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>
> Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
>
> Removing Malware:
>
> Partial list of forums- there are others:
> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30
> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php
> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
> http://forums.whatthetech.com/forums.html
> http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?board=3.0
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
> http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
>
> You will have to register to post to any of these forums and should look
> for
> one or more "Important- Read this first" type messages, at whatever forum
> you choose, for specific instructions.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Crossposted to the IE7 newsgroup for convenience
>
> Peter
> - - - -
>
> "Nut that holds the wheel" <kraskamess@dakotacomm.net> wrote in message
>>I am running Internet Explorer 7 (7.0.5730.13) under Windows XP Service

> Pack
>> 3.
>> Recently, when I do a search from Google or Yahoo, I get back the
>> expected
>> listing of hits. For example, I did a search on "Internet Explorer Beta

> 2".
>> I got a page full of references, one of which was a link to the Windows
>> Internet Explorer 8 Home Page at
>> www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/beta. When I click on this

> link,
>> a new page opens with the following in the address bar:
>>

> http://www.findstuff.com/search.php?...gwO_j2Xw%2A%2A
>> This is obviously not the Microsoft web site. Something has hijacked my
>> search engine and is redirecting my searches.
>>
>> If I click on the back arrow from here, I momentarily see a URL that

> starts
>> with www.topdir2.com/feed/click... but I end up back at the findstuff.com
>> page.
>>
>> Sometimes I am redirected to the lowpriceshopper.com page or some other
>> page, and some times I am not redirected at all.
>>
>> How can I find out what is causing this redirection and who/what I have
>> kill to fix this problem? Any help would be appreciated.
>> Thanks
>> Jim

Nut that holds the wheel

Re: Help, my browser has been hijacked!
Lots of very useful information here. Thank you very much. Sorry about the
initial mis-posting, I got my tools mixed up
Jim

"Nut that holds the wheel" <kraskamess@dakotacomm.net> wrote in message
news:QvKdnbpXPagT9lzVnZ2dnUVZ_hOdnZ2d@posted.dakot acomip...
> Lots of very useful information here. Thank you very much.
> Jim

>> Hi,
>> See these sites for help, including the posting of a HijackThis log to
>> one
>> of the forums where HJT logs are analyzed:
>>
>> The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>>
>> Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites:
>>
>> Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.html
>>
>> Removing Malware:
>>
>> Partial list of forums- there are others:
>> http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30
>> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php
>> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
>> http://forums.whatthetech.com/forums.html
>> http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/index.php?board=3.0
>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
>> http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
>>
>> You will have to register to post to any of these forums and should look
>> for
>> one or more "Important- Read this first" type messages, at whatever forum
>> you choose, for specific instructions.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Crossposted to the IE7 newsgroup for convenience
>>
>> Peter
>> - - - -
>>
>> "Nut that holds the wheel" <kraskamess@dakotacomm.net> wrote in message
>>>I am running Internet Explorer 7 (7.0.5730.13) under Windows XP Service

>> Pack
>>> 3.
>>> Recently, when I do a search from Google or Yahoo, I get back the
>>> expected
>>> listing of hits. For example, I did a search on "Internet Explorer Beta

>> 2".
>>> I got a page full of references, one of which was a link to the Windows
>>> Internet Explorer 8 Home Page at
>>> www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/beta. When I click on this

>> link,
>>> a new page opens with the following in the address bar:
>>>

>> http://www.findstuff.com/search.php?...gwO_j2Xw%2A%2A
>>> This is obviously not the Microsoft web site. Something has hijacked my
>>> search engine and is redirecting my searches.
>>>
>>> If I click on the back arrow from here, I momentarily see a URL that

>> starts
>>> with www.topdir2.com/feed/click... but I end up back at the
>>> findstuff.com
>>> page.
>>>
>>> Sometimes I am redirected to the lowpriceshopper.com page or some other
>>> page, and some times I am not redirected at all.
>>>
>>> How can I find out what is causing this redirection and who/what I have
>>> kill to fix this problem? Any help would be appreciated.
>>> Thanks
>>> Jim

Don Varnau

Re: Help, my browser has been hijacked!