IE 8 Beta 2 and Facebook

ddwsuperpaw

IE 8 Beta 2 and Facebook
Just installed IE 8 Beta 2 and cannot access Facebook. (I get the "You are
using an incompatible web browser" message.) Tried Compatibility mode.
Tried disabling ZoneAlarm firewall. No luck. Worked fine in IE 7. Is there
something I'm missing? Thanks. -ddw
Rafael [Live Butterfly]

Re: IE 8 Beta 2 and Facebook
Hello.

Can you provide more details on what functionality within Facebook
you're trying to access? I just fired up Facebook within IE8b2 and
everything more/less works, minus some of the more interactive features
such as chat.

- Rafael

ddwsuperpaw wrote:
> Just installed IE 8 Beta 2 and cannot access Facebook. (I get the "You are
> using an incompatible web browser" message.) Tried Compatibility mode.
> Tried disabling ZoneAlarm firewall. No luck. Worked fine in IE 7. Is there
> something I'm missing? Thanks. -ddw

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 Beta 2 and Facebook
What you're missing is an understanding of the meaning of "beta".

Why Microsoft allows people access to beta software through Windows
Update is beyond me. Thank goodness the FDA doesn't use this method for
drug trials.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

ddwsuperpaw wrote:
> Just installed IE 8 Beta 2 and cannot access Facebook. (I get the "You are
> using an incompatible web browser" message.) Tried Compatibility mode.
> Tried disabling ZoneAlarm firewall. No luck. Worked fine in IE 7. Is there
> something I'm missing? Thanks. -ddw

Gordon

Re: IE 8 Beta 2 and Facebook
"ddwsuperpaw" <ddwsuperpaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just installed IE 8 Beta 2 and cannot access Facebook. (I get the "You are
> using an incompatible web browser" message.) Tried Compatibility mode.
> Tried disabling ZoneAlarm firewall. No luck. Worked fine in IE 7. Is
> there
> something I'm missing? Thanks. -ddw

Yes - the word BETA.

GeoTexan

Re: IE 8 Beta 2 and Facebook
Its basic marketing. People who go out and actively test betas are a
different group of people than those who use IE for personal and work use.
Maybe they are trying to ensure that more feedback from beta testers is
geared towards those people who don't actively seek betas. It gets time
consuming, and I dont have time to beta test everything. I also dont always
have time to take the time to personalize everything i get. So when they
develop things like accelerators and web slices, i'm gung-ho for it. Basic
marketing and statistics states that you can't predict how a monkey receives
a banana by testing it on dolphins. I'm not saying there's that huge of a
difference, but this is better because average people get the chance to use
it and point out the problems and suggest improvements. Most people will
understand its a beta, but we come here to point out missing elements to make
sure the developers don't forget anything. Stop being so elitist and treat
ppl with respect, not like they're a bunch of idiots

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> What you're missing is an understanding of the meaning of "beta".
>
> Why Microsoft allows people access to beta software through Windows
> Update is beyond me. Thank goodness the FDA doesn't use this method for
> drug trials.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> ddwsuperpaw wrote:
> > Just installed IE 8 Beta 2 and cannot access Facebook. (I get the "You are
> > using an incompatible web browser" message.) Tried Compatibility mode.
> > Tried disabling ZoneAlarm firewall. No luck. Worked fine in IE 7. Is there
> > something I'm missing? Thanks. -ddw

ddwsuperpaw

Re: IE 8 Beta 2 and Facebook
Gordon and Leonard,

Give me a break here. I understand it's a Beta. That's why I reported the
issue. Get it? It's a beta TEST. The TESTERS are supposed to notify the
developer of any and all operational issues. That's your job as a BETA
TESTER. Read up on it, it's fascinating.

-ddw
IT Professional (30 years experience)

"Gordon" wrote:

> "ddwsuperpaw" <ddwsuperpaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just installed IE 8 Beta 2 and cannot access Facebook. (I get the "You are
> > using an incompatible web browser" message.) Tried Compatibility mode.
> > Tried disabling ZoneAlarm firewall. No luck. Worked fine in IE 7. Is
> > there
> > something I'm missing? Thanks. -ddw

> Yes - the word BETA.

ddwsuperpaw

Re: IE 8 Beta 2 and Facebook
Rafael,

Actually, just going to the URL for the main page, www.facebook.com, gets me
the error. I'm using ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite v8.0 (which I
disabled as a test.) I'm running XP Pro SP3 connected to Comcast as my ISP.
I get the "official" Facebook "You are using an incompatible web browser..."
page, so I am getting out to their server. So far, I haven't found an issue
with other sites. I've tried to go out to sites that other people have
reported as a problem with IE8 Beta and haven't been able to duplicate their
problem. I haven't spent an extensive amount of time so far (just installed
the beta last night.)

Thanks.

-ddw

news45EE7B4-4CB6-4E8A-BC3A-A68E22ACF04B@microsoft.com...
> Gordon and Leonard,
>
> Give me a break here. I understand it's a Beta. That's why I reported
> the
> issue. Get it? It's a beta TEST. The TESTERS are supposed to notify the
> developer of any and all operational issues. That's your job as a BETA
> TESTER. Read up on it, it's fascinating.

So why add the "is there something I'm missing"? That's a comment that would
be made by someone who doesn't know what Beta software is.

ddwsuperpaw

Re: IE 8 Beta 2 and Facebook
"Is there something I'm missing?", as in, "Do I have all the settings
correct?", "Did I install all the proper plug-ins, etc?", "Did I miss a
configuration page / option?", "Did I miss seeing a current incompatibility
list for the current beta release?" That kind of thing.

See, I think that what you did was look at my comment from a cynical
perspective, as if I were saying, "Hey, why doesn't this stupid software work
100%?" Now, that type of cynical perspective seems to be pretty common
amongst a lot of newsgroup posters. Me, on the other hand, I tend to take a
comment like, "Is there something I'm missing?", to be literal, and from a
more objective basis. That way, these newsgroups serve a purpose; I tell you
what I'm seeing, you tell me what you're seeing, we tell each other what
works and what doesn't. The process evolves towards a better product which
results in a better experience. If we don't behave in that fashion these
newsgroups devolve into people calling each other "Stupid." And, certainly,
no body wants that. ;-)
-ddw

"Gordon" wrote:

> "ddwsuperpaw" <ddwsuperpaw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news45EE7B4-4CB6-4E8A-BC3A-A68E22ACF04B@microsoft.com...
> > Gordon and Leonard,
> >
> > Give me a break here. I understand it's a Beta. That's why I reported
> > the
> > issue. Get it? It's a beta TEST. The TESTERS are supposed to notify the
> > developer of any and all operational issues. That's your job as a BETA
> > TESTER. Read up on it, it's fascinating.
> >

> So why add the "is there something I'm missing"? That's a comment that would
> be made by someone who doesn't know what Beta software is.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 Beta 2 and Facebook
Official Microsoft beta testers report their results to Microsoft, not
to newsgroups of other users.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est