IE8 Beta 2: Java applicarion error causes IE8 to hang

Ichikawa

IE8 Beta 2: Java applicarion error causes IE8 to hang
- Create a new tab
- Goto to www.jigzone.com
- Part play a puzzle
- Close the tab containing JigZone

An application error dialog appears refering to the following exception;
java.lang.NullPointerException: null pData

From the same dialog, click the details button form more info;
java.lang.NullPointerException: null pData
at sun.awt.windows.WComponentPeer.hide(Native Method)
at java.awt.Component.hide(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.hide(Unknown Source)
at sun.awt.EmbeddedFrame.hide(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window$1DisposeAction.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.doDispose(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.dispose(Unknown Source)
at sun.plugin.viewer.frame.IExplorerEmbeddedFrame.win dowClosed(Unknown
Source)
at java.awt.Window.processWindowEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.Window.processEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilter s(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(U nknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(Unknown Source)

- IE8 stops responding and you are force to close it via the task manager.

Is this a case where any website hosting a Java applet will cause IE8 to hang?

Re: IE8 Beta 2: Java applicarion error causes IE8 to hang
No need to crosspost to IE General. Thank you.

IE Beta Public Newsgroup Support: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta

Via the web-interface:

Via your newsreader:

Ichikawa wrote:
> - Create a new tab
> - Goto to www.jigzone.com
> - Part play a puzzle
> - Close the tab containing JigZone
>
> An application error dialog appears refering to the following exception;
> java.lang.NullPointerException: null pData
>
> From the same dialog, click the details button form more info;
> java.lang.NullPointerException: null pData
> at sun.awt.windows.WComponentPeer.hide(Native Method)
> at java.awt.Component.hide(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window.hide(Unknown Source)
> at sun.awt.EmbeddedFrame.hide(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window$1DisposeAction.run(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window.doDispose(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window.dispose(Unknown Source)
> at sun.plugin.viewer.frame.IExplorerEmbeddedFrame.win dowClosed(Unknown
> Source)
> at java.awt.Window.processWindowEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window.processEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilter s(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(U nknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
>
> - IE8 stops responding and you are force to close it via the task manager.
>
> Is this a case where any website hosting a Java applet will cause IE8 to
> hang?

rob^_^

Re: IE8 Beta 2: Java applicarion error causes IE8 to hang
Hi Ichikawa (give it a scratch)

Yes it is known about some java applets that are causing the same error -

java.lang.NullPointerException: null pData

One has to ask what 'data' is IE stopping the Java applet from receiving?
(probably a third-party cookie).

Does this reproduce in InPrivate browsing mode?

Regards.

"Ichikawa" <Ichikawa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> - Create a new tab
> - Goto to www.jigzone.com
> - Part play a puzzle
> - Close the tab containing JigZone
>
> An application error dialog appears refering to the following exception;
> java.lang.NullPointerException: null pData
>
> From the same dialog, click the details button form more info;
> java.lang.NullPointerException: null pData
> at sun.awt.windows.WComponentPeer.hide(Native Method)
> at java.awt.Component.hide(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window.hide(Unknown Source)
> at sun.awt.EmbeddedFrame.hide(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window$1DisposeAction.run(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window.doDispose(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window.dispose(Unknown Source)
> at sun.plugin.viewer.frame.IExplorerEmbeddedFrame.win dowClosed(Unknown
> Source)
> at java.awt.Window.processWindowEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window.processEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilter s(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(U nknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
>
> - IE8 stops responding and you are force to close it via the task manager.
>
> Is this a case where any website hosting a Java applet will cause IE8 to
> hang?

vikkilyn2000

RE: IE8 Beta 2: Java applicarion error causes IE8 to hang
I am having the same problem. Is there anything that can be done to fix the
problem? I am some what computer literate but not enough to fully understand
what to do without it being broken down in steps. I could really use
someone's help. My daughter will be starting home school classes in a week
and I need my computer up and running .
Please help
thank you much

"Ichikawa" wrote:

> - Create a new tab
> - Goto to www.jigzone.com
> - Part play a puzzle
> - Close the tab containing JigZone
>
> An application error dialog appears refering to the following exception;
> java.lang.NullPointerException: null pData
>
> From the same dialog, click the details button form more info;
> java.lang.NullPointerException: null pData
> at sun.awt.windows.WComponentPeer.hide(Native Method)
> at java.awt.Component.hide(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window.hide(Unknown Source)
> at sun.awt.EmbeddedFrame.hide(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window$1DisposeAction.run(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window.doDispose(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window.dispose(Unknown Source)
> at sun.plugin.viewer.frame.IExplorerEmbeddedFrame.win dowClosed(Unknown
> Source)
> at java.awt.Window.processWindowEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window.processEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilter s(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(U nknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarch y(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
> at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
>
> - IE8 stops responding and you are force to close it via the task manager.
>
> Is this a case where any website hosting a Java applet will cause IE8 to hang?

Gordon

"vikkilyn2000" <vikkilyn2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having the same problem. Is there anything that can be done to fix the
> problem? I am some what computer literate but not enough to fully
> understand
> what to do without it being broken down in steps. I could really use
> someone's help. My daughter will be starting home school classes in a week
> and I need my computer up and running .
> Please help
> thank you much

<sigh> then don't use BETA software on a "production" machine. You do know
what BETA software is, don't you?

vikkilyn2000

Re: IE8 Beta 2: Java applicarion error causes IE8 to hang
yes I know what beta is and I am using IE 7 not beta 8
I contacted microsoft and they seem to have fixed that problem but another
has arised from it. Now my explorer will not stay open when I go to games
sites and sometimes when I go to non gaming sites. They are working on the
problem and said I had a virus but no virus was found by my virus scan or by
the one they used.

"Gordon" wrote:

> "vikkilyn2000" <vikkilyn2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having the same problem. Is there anything that can be done to fix the
> > problem? I am some what computer literate but not enough to fully
> > understand
> > what to do without it being broken down in steps. I could really use
> > someone's help. My daughter will be starting home school classes in a week
> > and I need my computer up and running .
> > Please help
> > thank you much

> <sigh> then don't use BETA software on a "production" machine. You do know
> what BETA software is, don't you?

Zeshin

Re: IE8 Beta 2: Java applicarion error causes IE8 to hang
I get the same error on basically every webpage with java applets. The
browser window hangs on 100% cpu, and cannot be closed other than stopping
the process. According to ProcessExplorer, the hanging thread is in
"iertutil.dll".

It makes no difference if you use InPrivate mode.

joewlarson

Re: IE8 Beta 2: Java applicarion error causes IE8 to hang
I am having the same issue in IE7. Rolling back recent Java upgrades and IE7
updates did not help.

Your reply is fairly wrong spirited. Even if it is BETA, surely people
should report bugs with beta software and it is not unreasonable to want a
fix of some kind eventually (you'd presume MS eventually wants to fix it).

--
joe larson

"Gordon" wrote:

> "vikkilyn2000" <vikkilyn2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having the same problem. Is there anything that can be done to fix the
> > problem? I am some what computer literate but not enough to fully
> > understand
> > what to do without it being broken down in steps. I could really use
> > someone's help. My daughter will be starting home school classes in a week
> > and I need my computer up and running .
> > Please help
> > thank you much

> <sigh> then don't use BETA software on a "production" machine. You do know
> what BETA software is, don't you?

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Re: IE8 Beta 2: Java applicarion error causes IE8 to hang
IE8 Beta Newsgroups.

In Your Newsreader:

In The Web Interface:

:
: Your reply is fairly wrong spirited. Even if it is BETA, surely people
: should report bugs with beta software and it is not unreasonable to want a
: fix of some kind eventually (you'd presume MS eventually wants to fix it).
:
: --
: joe larson
:
:
: "Gordon" wrote:
:
: > "vikkilyn2000" <vikkilyn2000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: > news:1BC5AE8C-8AE1-438D-8865-9E65B4DE5642@microsoft.com...
: > >I am having the same problem. Is there anything that can be done to fix
the
: > > problem? I am some what computer literate but not enough to fully
: > > understand
: > > what to do without it being broken down in steps. I could really use
: > > someone's help. My daughter will be starting home school classes in a
week
: > > and I need my computer up and running .
: > > Please help
: > > thank you much
: >
: > <sigh> then don't use BETA software on a "production" machine. You do
know
: > what BETA software is, don't you?
: >
: >

joewlarson

Re: IE8 Beta 2: Java applicarion error causes IE8 to hang
If your purpose is to encourage me to move my part of this thread to IE8
group, I should restate:

My problem is happening in *IE7*

I have never installed IE8.

thanks,