Too many IE6 listings in Task Manager

rustyfender04

Too many IE6 listings in Task Manager
Hi all,

Has anyone ever had this problem? IE6 will not work if it is already listed
in the XP task manager. After I kill all of the IE6 processes, then it will
work again.

I've had this problem for some time now, but I just recently discovered the
excess IE6 processes in Task Manager. And unless those processes are closed,
I get sysfader hang messages whenever I try to restart the pc.

All of these problems started after installing the Feb. 2008, Office 2003
updates.

Leonard Grey

Re: Too many IE6 listings in Task Manager
[The problem started in February and you're asking about it in September?]

Malicious software ("malware") could be installed on your computer.

Make sure that your anti-malware software is running, then download the
latest signatures and run a full scan.

If you don't have comprehensive anti-malware software, I'm officially
out of things to say to you. Except for this: Install comprehensive
anti-malware software and learn how to use its features.

Try scanning your system with /several/ of the better online scanners,
such as:
Kaspersky Antivirus (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
Panda ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan)

Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. Run it, save a log, and
post the log at one of the many sites that support HJT, such as
spywarewarrior.com, bleepingcomputer.com, and temerc.com (but not here).
Within a day, sometimes within an hour, you'll have one-on-one
step-by-step advice from a security expert on cleaning up any
infestations—or you'll have a clean bill of health from the volunteer
expert.

Even the best detection and removal software can't fix every malware
infection. If none of the above remove the infection, you may want to
show the computer to a professional.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

rustyfender04 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone ever had this problem? IE6 will not work if it is already listed
> in the XP task manager. After I kill all of the IE6 processes, then it will
> work again.
>
> I've had this problem for some time now, but I just recently discovered the
> excess IE6 processes in Task Manager. And unless those processes are closed,
> I get sysfader hang messages whenever I try to restart the pc.
>
> All of these problems started after installing the Feb. 2008, Office 2003
> updates.

rustyfender04

Re: Too many IE6 listings in Task Manager
Been there, done that...except for posting a Hijackthis log, but I have
examined the log a few times myself and could not find anything.

Actually, I have re-installed the OS about three times since February, and
all goes well until I download the Office 2003 updates for February 2008.

"Leonard Grey" <l.grey@not.valid.net> wrote in message
> [The problem started in February and you're asking about it in September?]
>
> Malicious software ("malware") could be installed on your computer.
>
> Make sure that your anti-malware software is running, then download the
> latest signatures and run a full scan.
>
> If you don't have comprehensive anti-malware software, I'm officially out
> of things to say to you. Except for this: Install comprehensive
> anti-malware software and learn how to use its features.
>
> Try scanning your system with /several/ of the better online scanners,
> such as:
> Kaspersky Antivirus (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
> Panda ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan)
>
> Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. Run it, save a log, and post
> the log at one of the many sites that support HJT, such as
> spywarewarrior.com, bleepingcomputer.com, and temerc.com (but not here).
> Within a day, sometimes within an hour, you'll have one-on-one
> step-by-step advice from a security expert on cleaning up any
> infestations—or you'll have a clean bill of health from the volunteer
> expert.
>
> Even the best detection and removal software can't fix every malware
> infection. If none of the above remove the infection, you may want to show
> the computer to a professional.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> rustyfender04 wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Has anyone ever had this problem? IE6 will not work if it is already
>> listed in the XP task manager. After I kill all of the IE6 processes,
>> then it will work again.
>>
>> I've had this problem for some time now, but I just recently discovered
>> the excess IE6 processes in Task Manager. And unless those processes are
>> closed, I get sysfader hang messages whenever I try to restart the pc.
>>
>> All of these problems started after installing the Feb. 2008, Office 2003
>> updates.

Re: Too many IE6 listings in Task Manager
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

rustyfender04 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone ever had this problem? IE6 will not work if it is already
> listed
> in the XP task manager. After I kill all of the IE6 processes, then it
> will
> work again.
>
> I've had this problem for some time now, but I just recently discovered
> the
> excess IE6 processes in Task Manager. And unless those processes are
> closed,
> I get sysfader hang messages whenever I try to restart the pc.
>
> All of these problems started after installing the Feb. 2008, Office 2003
> updates.

rustyfender04

Re: Too many IE6 listings in Task Manager
Thanks very much.

I'll see what I can do.