Changing IE URL icons?

BobJam

Changing IE URL icons?
I'd like to change the url icon in my IE7 Favorites listing for a particular
site from the default icon for IE url's to the icon for the site. The site
is http://www.mywot.com/en/forum . Most of my url icons have the site icons
(for example google, photobucket, comodo, avira, cnet, etc. in my links in
the browsers). I'm pretty sure the site designer included a favicons.ico
file in their HTML because in FF it shows up, both in the address bar and in
the bookmark. BTW, I'm NOT talking about Desktop Icons . . . I'm talking
about those tiny little icons next to URL's in browsers.

Right clicking the url only gives me the properties from which I can change
the icon to something on my machine (for example, the moricons.dll file).
That's NOT what I want to do. I want the url icon of the site. I tried
deleting the url from my favorites and then adding it back because I think
that in IE it only does the site url icon if you bookmark it . . . whereas
in FF it will do it if you just visit the site.

I vaguely remember reading something on this and that there was a way to do
it, but that may have been all the way back in IE5 or something.
I thought that maybe the WOT .dll had the WOT icon in it, but I got that
"The file . . . contains no icons" error. And there is no WOT exe. (WOT
stands for "Web of Trust", and it's pretty much like McAfee Site Advisor . .
.. a toolbar add on highlighting rated links in Google searches for example)

I looked in the IE icon cache (NOT the Desktop Icon cache), favicon files
for other url's but not one for WOT in there.

I searched for .ico files . . . have many but no joy on WOT there either.

I looked for an FF icon cache, but couldn't find one (it probably doesn't
exist)

I opened FF, went to the WOT site and right clicked, but the FF drop down
menu doesn't have a "create shortcut" selection like the IE menu does.
Doing that in IE only produces the same old url default icon.

I have a program that extracts icons from all the files on your computer
that have icons (mostly .exe's and .dll's), but nothing on WOT there either.

I haven't tried changing themes or resolution or deleting the icon cache for
Desktop Icons yet, but that's obviously only for Desktop Icons and not
little URL shortcut icons in browsers.

So, this is apparently one more argument for those that consider FF superior
to IE.

In any case, this is more cosmetic than anything else, and is really no big
deal. But it does make it easier on the eyes when looking through the
Favorites list. And at my age I need to do all I can to make things easier
on these old eyes.

BJ

Donald Anadell

Re: Changing IE URL icons?

"BobJam" <rbjamieATgmailDOTcom> wrote in message
> I'd like to change the url icon in my IE7 Favorites listing for a
> particular
> site from the default icon for IE url's to the icon for the site.

This can be done by saving the Favicon.ico file to your hard drive, then
right click on your favorite and choosing Properties||Web Document||Change
Icon... then pointing to the saved .ico file on your hard drive.

>The site
> is http://www.mywot.com/en/forum . Most of my url icons have the site
> icons
> (for example google, photobucket, comodo, avira, cnet, etc. in my links in
> the browsers).

Understood!

> I'm pretty sure the site designer included a favicons.ico
> file in their HTML because in FF it shows up, both in the address bar and
> in
> the bookmark. BTW, I'm NOT talking about Desktop Icons . . . I'm talking
> about those tiny little icons next to URL's in browsers.

No, the site designer did not include a favicon file in the format of .ico
in the HTML. Instead, the site designer is using a .png format image for
the favicon. FF will display .png images as favicons, but in IE the favicon
must be of the .ico image format in order to be rendered in IE. Otherwise
IE will display the default Internet Explorer shortcut icon.

See here:

"Note that shortcut icons in image formats other than .ico—for instance,
..bmp, .gif, or .png—cannot be displayed in Internet Explorer. Internet
Explorer will ignore icons that are not in .ico format, and will instead
display the default Internet Explorer shortcut icon."

If you want to use WOT's favicon image here:
http://www.mywot.com/sites/all/image...ew_trusted.png

You will have to download the image from the above link to your machine and
use a third party Image program(such as the free program IrFanview) to
change the format of the image from .png to .ico.

Then you can click on Properties on your WOT forum Favorite and point it to
this newly create||saved .ico file. And finally, set the Attributes on the
General Tab for that Favorite to "Read Only" to prevent it from ever getting
changed back to anything else.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Right clicking the url only gives me the properties from which I can
> change
> the icon to something on my machine (for example, the moricons.dll file).
> That's NOT what I want to do. I want the url icon of the site. I tried
> deleting the url from my favorites and then adding it back because I think
> that in IE it only does the site url icon if you bookmark it . . . whereas
> in FF it will do it if you just visit the site.
>
> I vaguely remember reading something on this and that there was a way to
> do
> it, but that may have been all the way back in IE5 or something.
> I thought that maybe the WOT .dll had the WOT icon in it, but I got that
> "The file . . . contains no icons" error. And there is no WOT exe. (WOT
> stands for "Web of Trust", and it's pretty much like McAfee Site Advisor .
> . . a toolbar add on highlighting rated links in Google searches for
> example)
>
> I looked in the IE icon cache (NOT the Desktop Icon cache), favicon files
> for other url's but not one for WOT in there.
>
> I searched for .ico files . . . have many but no joy on WOT there either.
>
> I looked for an FF icon cache, but couldn't find one (it probably doesn't
> exist)
>
> I opened FF, went to the WOT site and right clicked, but the FF drop down
> menu doesn't have a "create shortcut" selection like the IE menu does.
> Doing that in IE only produces the same old url default icon.
>
> I have a program that extracts icons from all the files on your computer
> that have icons (mostly .exe's and .dll's), but nothing on WOT there
> either.
>
> I haven't tried changing themes or resolution or deleting the icon cache
> for Desktop Icons yet, but that's obviously only for Desktop Icons and not
> little URL shortcut icons in browsers.
>
> So, this is apparently one more argument for those that consider FF
> superior
> to IE.
>
> In any case, this is more cosmetic than anything else, and is really no
> big
> deal. But it does make it easier on the eyes when looking through the
> Favorites list. And at my age I need to do all I can to make things easier
> on these old eyes.
>
> BJ

BobJam

Re: Changing IE URL icons?
Hey Don,

Wow! . . . I did exactly as you said (well . . . see my P.S.), and of course
it WORKED. If it were in my power, I would give you the "Geek of the Year"
award. Thanks VERY VERY much.

P.S. I did have one duhhhhhh . . . moment though. I did mark the attribute
as "Read Only", except I did that out of sequence and did it BEFORE I tried
to change the icon. Consequently, I got the "Cannot apply changes to this
internet shortcut" error message when I tried to change the icon. Tried it
several times before the lightbulb came on . . . that was the duhhhhhh . . .
moment. Thanks very much again!

P.P.S. Am going to email this to you too, because I want to make sure you
get my thanks and this post will get buried here.

> Hey Don,
>
> Wow! . . . I did exactly as you said (well . . . see my P.S.), and of
> course it WORKED. If it were in my power, I would give you the "Geek of
> the Year" award. Thanks VERY VERY much.

You're welcome BJ, glad you were able to resolve the issue.

PS....I have a Duhhhhhh....moment occasionally myself)

Good luck

Don