Partial download of IE7?

Not Computer Savy

Partial download of IE7?
Hi I am not very computer savy so please bear with me. I think my dad's
computer is set to automatically download windows updates. Today he got a
message about downloading IE7 to his Win XP/IE6 system, which may have
partially dowloaded before his system froze and he had to shutdown manually.
Since then his Internet Explorer will only open the home page. As soon as
you try to navigate to another page, IE is trying to open another window and
freezing up. I tried system restore to a couple of different restore
points, but I keep getting an error that says the system could not be restore
to the selected point and so no changes have been made to the system. Is
there some way to download on my computer an installation package for IE7
which I could burn to CD, then use that to complete the installation on his
computer (and hopefully solve the problem)? Or perhaps someway to reinstall
IE6 that would fix the problem? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks to all who read this post and to all who respond.
Kayman

Re: Partial download of IE7?
On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 22:23:01 -0700, Not Computer Savy wrote:

> Hi I am not very computer savy so please bear with me. I think my dad's
> computer is set to automatically download windows updates. Today he got a
> message about downloading IE7 to his Win XP/IE6 system, which may have
> partially dowloaded before his system froze and he had to shutdown manually.
> Since then his Internet Explorer will only open the home page. As soon as
> you try to navigate to another page, IE is trying to open another window and
> freezing up. I tried system restore to a couple of different restore
> points, but I keep getting an error that says the system could not be restore
> to the selected point and so no changes have been made to the system. Is
> there some way to download on my computer an installation package for IE7
> which I could burn to CD, then use that to complete the installation on his
> computer (and hopefully solve the problem)? Or perhaps someway to reinstall
> IE6 that would fix the problem? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?
> Thanks to all who read this post and to all who respond.

To uninstall IE7 (which returns you to IE6) follow these directions:

Start, Settings, Control Panel then click Add or Remove Programs, locate
IE7 and uninstall it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

If you upgraded to IE7 before you applied SP3, you'll have to
uninstall SP3 first.

Then:
Run this tool:
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware

Then:
Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...kthis/download

Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

NOTE: Registration is required in any of the below fora before posting
a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for
the respective HJT forum.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29
http://forums.whatthetech.com/Hijack...moval_f27.html
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html

If your system is considered 'clean':
Read this before installing IE7:
Sandi's Installation Tips: 1 thru 8, 10 and 11, note 12 that's it.

Do not use Automatic/Windows Update for downloading/installing IE7!

Use this link instead:
Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP:

Save the program to your desktop then install.

Activate Windows Update after installing IE7 to download/install pertinent
updates offered, including Root Certificates updates.

Good luck

Re: Partial download of IE7?
IN RE System Restore: Is Norton AntiVirus installed?

IN RE the IE6 problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Not Computer Savy wrote:
> Hi I am not very computer savy so please bear with me. I think my dad's
> computer is set to automatically download windows updates. Today he got a
> message about downloading IE7 to his Win XP/IE6 system, which may have
> partially dowloaded before his system froze and he had to shutdown
> manually.
> Since then his Internet Explorer will only open the home page. As soon as
> you try to navigate to another page, IE is trying to open another window
> and
> freezing up. I tried system restore to a couple of different restore
> points, but I keep getting an error that says the system could not be
> restore to the selected point and so no changes have been made to the
> system. Is there some way to download on my computer an installation
> package for IE7 which I could burn to CD, then use that to complete the
> installation on his computer (and hopefully solve the problem)? Or
> perhaps
> someway to reinstall IE6 that would fix the problem? Or does anyone have
> any other suggestions? Thanks to all who read this post and to all who
> respond.

Not Computer Savy

Re: Partial download of IE7?
Thanks for your replies, Kayman and PA Bear! I think I would rather stick
with IE6. Given that I may have a partial download of IE7, what do I do to
get back to IE6 SP2 or 3? Thanks again for your help!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> IN RE System Restore: Is Norton AntiVirus installed?
>
> IN RE the IE6 problem:

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis log
> to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use (in
> conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix anything on
> its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**

> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Not Computer Savy wrote:
> > Hi I am not very computer savy so please bear with me. I think my dad's
> > computer is set to automatically download windows updates. Today he got a
> > message about downloading IE7 to his Win XP/IE6 system, which may have
> > partially dowloaded before his system froze and he had to shutdown
> > manually.
> > Since then his Internet Explorer will only open the home page. As soon as
> > you try to navigate to another page, IE is trying to open another window
> > and
> > freezing up. I tried system restore to a couple of different restore
> > points, but I keep getting an error that says the system could not be
> > restore to the selected point and so no changes have been made to the
> > system. Is there some way to download on my computer an installation
> > package for IE7 which I could burn to CD, then use that to complete the
> > installation on his computer (and hopefully solve the problem)? Or
> > perhaps
> > someway to reinstall IE6 that would fix the problem? Or does anyone have
> > any other suggestions? Thanks to all who read this post and to all who
> > respond.

Not Computer Savy

Re: Partial download of IE7?
BTW, yes, the system does have Norton Antivirus.

"Not Computer Savy" wrote:

> [...]
> > > manually.
> > > Since then his Internet Explorer will only open the home page. As soon as
> > > you try to navigate to another page, IE is trying to open another window
> > > and
> > > freezing up. I tried system restore to a couple of different restore
> > > points, but I keep getting an error that says the system could not be
> > > restore to the selected point and so no changes have been made to the
> > > system. Is there some way to download on my computer an installation
> > > package for IE7 which I could burn to CD, then use that to complete the
> > > installation on his computer (and hopefully solve the problem)? Or
> > > perhaps
> > > someway to reinstall IE6 that would fix the problem? Or does anyone have
> > > any other suggestions? Thanks to all who read this post and to all who

Re: Partial download of IE7?
IN RE System Restore & NAV: See http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html

IN RE IE: Open IE Help | about: What version is listed here?

Is "Windows Internet Explorer 7" listed in Add/Remove Programs (make sure
the Show Updates box is checked, top-right)?
--
~PA Bear

Not Computer Savy wrote:
> BTW, yes, the system does have Norton Antivirus.
>
>> Thanks for your replies, Kayman and PA Bear! I think I would rather
>> stick
>> with IE6. Given that I may have a partial download of IE7, what do I do
>> get back to IE6 SP2 or 3? Thanks again for your help!
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> IN RE System Restore: Is Norton AntiVirus installed?
>>>
>>> IN RE the IE6 problem:
>>>
>>> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>>>
>>> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
>>> log to an appropriate forum.
>>>
>>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
>>> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
>>> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
>>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
>>> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
>>> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
>>>
>>> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
>>> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
>>> (in conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix
>>> anything on its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove
>>> any
>>> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
>>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
>>> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
>>> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for
>>> review
>>> by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>>>
>>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>>> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
>>> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair
>>> shop.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Kayman

Re: Partial download of IE7?
On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 12:02:01 -0700, Not Computer Savy wrote:

> Thanks for your replies, Kayman and PA Bear! I think I would rather stick
> with IE6. Given that I may have a partial download of IE7, what do I do to
> get back to IE6 SP2 or 3? Thanks again for your help!

Try:
Revo Uninstaller
http://www.revouninstaller.com/

If successful revert to my original response.

Re: Partial download of IE7?
Kayman wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 12:02:01 -0700, Not Computer Savy wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your replies, Kayman and PA Bear! I think I would rather
>> stick
>> with IE6. Given that I may have a partial download of IE7, what do I do
>> get back to IE6 SP2 or 3? Thanks again for your help!

> Try:
> Revo Uninstaller
> http://www.revouninstaller.com/
>
> If successful revert to my original response.

And if IE7 isn't install...?

Not Computer Savy

Re: Partial download of IE7?
Hi Kayman and PA Bear: From "About Internet Explorer", it still shows IE6.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Kayman wrote:
> > On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 12:02:01 -0700, Not Computer Savy wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for your replies, Kayman and PA Bear! I think I would rather
> >> stick
> >> with IE6. Given that I may have a partial download of IE7, what do I do
> >> get back to IE6 SP2 or 3? Thanks again for your help!

> > Try:
> > Revo Uninstaller
> > http://www.revouninstaller.com/
> >
> > If successful revert to my original response.

> And if IE7 isn't install...?

Re: Partial download of IE7?
Don't worry about it then.