Cannot view KB articles or download software

PrivateName

Cannot view KB articles or download software
I have a strange issues where I cannot view any KB articles from microsoft
support. Nor can I download any software. The webpage cannot be displayed for
windows update. I have tried turning off my firewall and changing all the
settings. Also I have re-installed IE7 on my XP machine but this has not
solved the problem.
Any ideas on what is going on?
Leonard Grey

Re: Cannot view KB articles or download software
Those MSKB articles are just a bunch of gobbledygook. And who needs to
download software anyway?

This is frequently caused by an incompatible browser add-on. The
troubleshooting steps described below will help you to diagnose and fix
the problem:

How to Optimize or Reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/

(Give the Guided Help a try.)

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
viruses or other malicious software.

Before installing IE 7 you need to carefully follow the procedures
described here (which, for the most part, should be followed whenever
you install or upgrade software):

http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.

If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
incomplete installation. If that's the case, uninstall IE 7 (which
returns you to IE 6) by following these directions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
....and...
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. Tip:
Download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and install from
your hard disk:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx

Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

PrivateName wrote:
> I have a strange issues where I cannot view any KB articles from microsoft
> support. Nor can I download any software. The webpage cannot be displayed for
> windows update. I have tried turning off my firewall and changing all the
> settings. Also I have re-installed IE7 on my XP machine but this has not
> solved the problem.
> Any ideas on what is going on?

Re: Cannot view KB articles or download software
(if any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when you
uninstalled and or reinstalled IE7?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

PrivateName wrote:
> I have a strange issues where I cannot view any KB articles from microsoft
> support. Nor can I download any software. The webpage cannot be displayed
> for windows update. I have tried turning off my firewall and changing all
> the settings. Also I have re-installed IE7 on my XP machine but this has
> not
> solved the problem.
> Any ideas on what is going on?

PrivateName

Re: Cannot view KB articles or download software
Norton Security version 15.0.0.60
includes anti-virus, anit-spy and firewall.
It is completely possible this was running when I installed.
i've turned it on and off many times but can't remember if it was off at the
time of IE re-install. Are you suggesting I uninstall IE, disable Norton then
reinstall?
I can do that but don't know if that will help.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall
> (if any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> uninstalled and or reinstalled IE7?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> PrivateName wrote:
> > I have a strange issues where I cannot view any KB articles from microsoft
> > support. Nor can I download any software. The webpage cannot be displayed
> > for windows update. I have tried turning off my firewall and changing all
> > the settings. Also I have re-installed IE7 on my XP machine but this has
> > not
> > solved the problem.
> > Any ideas on what is going on?

Re: Cannot view KB articles or download software
Are you running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3 now? If the latter, which was
installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?

Is your Norton Internet Security subscription current? When does it expire?

=> Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
or

2. Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

=> Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
~PA Bear

PrivateName wrote:
> Norton Security version 15.0.0.60
> includes anti-virus, anit-spy and firewall.
> It is completely possible this was running when I installed.
> i've turned it on and off many times but can't remember if it was off at
> the
> time of IE re-install. Are you suggesting I uninstall IE, disable Norton
> then reinstall?
> I can do that but don't know if that will help.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
>> firewall
>> (if any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when
>> you uninstalled and or reinstalled IE7?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> PrivateName wrote:
>>> I have a strange issues where I cannot view any KB articles from
>>> microsoft
>>> support. Nor can I download any software. The webpage cannot be
>>> displayed
>>> for windows update. I have tried turning off my firewall and changing
>>> all
>>> the settings. Also I have re-installed IE7 on my XP machine but this has
>>> not
>>> solved the problem.
>>> Any ideas on what is going on?

PrivateName

Re: Cannot view KB articles or download software
Hmmm I backed down to IE6 and still cannot start the windows Update.
Since I don't have a restore point it looks like i'm going to have to
reinstall XP.
Yuck!

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Those MSKB articles are just a bunch of gobbledygook. And who needs to
> download software anyway?
>
> This is frequently caused by an incompatible browser add-on. The
> troubleshooting steps described below will help you to diagnose and fix
> the problem:
>
> How to Optimize or Reset Internet Explorer 7
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/
>
> (Give the Guided Help a try.)
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
> viruses or other malicious software.
>
> Before installing IE 7 you need to carefully follow the procedures
> described here (which, for the most part, should be followed whenever
> you install or upgrade software):
>
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.
>
> If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
> incomplete installation. If that's the case, uninstall IE 7 (which
> returns you to IE 6) by following these directions:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
> ....and...
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>
> then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. Tip:
> Download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and install from
> your hard disk:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
>
> Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
> have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> PrivateName wrote:
> > I have a strange issues where I cannot view any KB articles from microsoft
> > support. Nor can I download any software. The webpage cannot be displayed for
> > windows update. I have tried turning off my firewall and changing all the
> > settings. Also I have re-installed IE7 on my XP machine but this has not
> > solved the problem.
> > Any ideas on what is going on?

Re: Cannot view KB articles or download software
In all likelihood, you have a Vundo/ZLOB/SDBot infection, all protected by a
rootkit. Please note that a Repair Install will NOT address these
infections!