Can I check what causes the Compatibility View mode?

RealCat

Can I check what causes the Compatibility View mode?
I've been using IE 8 Beta 2. At first, I thought the "Compatibility
View" button next to the "Go" button always appeared, but I found that
it only appears at certain web pages, namely pages that have problems.
Sadly, that button appears at my homepage too, but I don't know what
is wrong. That page passes XHTML 1.0 test, and I cannot find any
function that tells me why this button become activated in IE 8.

How can I check what causes the Compatibility View mode to be
activated at certain pages in IE 8 Beta 2?

Re: Can I check what causes the Compatibility View mode?
IE Beta Public Newsgroup Support: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta

Via the web-interface:

Via your newsreader:

[Yes, I understand that the link you may have used probably brought you to
IE General newsgroup. We're tyring to get that fixed.]
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

RealCat wrote:
> I've been using IE 8 Beta 2. At first, I thought the "Compatibility
> View" button next to the "Go" button always appeared, but I found that
> it only appears at certain web pages, namely pages that have problems.
> Sadly, that button appears at my homepage too, but I don't know what
> is wrong. That page passes XHTML 1.0 test, and I cannot find any
> function that tells me why this button become activated in IE 8.
>
> How can I check what causes the Compatibility View mode to be
> activated at certain pages in IE 8 Beta 2?

Leonard Grey

Re: Can I check what causes the Compatibility View mode?
In general: Internet Explorer is trying to become a more
standards-compliant browser. This can cause web pages coded for earlier,
more proprietary versions of IE to break. To help prevent this from
happening, IE 8 has a rendering mode euphemistically named Compatibility
View. (A better term would be "Incompatibility View.") Update your page
to a more standards-compliant code to avoid Compatibilty View.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

RealCat wrote:
> I've been using IE 8 Beta 2. At first, I thought the "Compatibility
> View" button next to the "Go" button always appeared, but I found that
> it only appears at certain web pages, namely pages that have problems.
> Sadly, that button appears at my homepage too, but I don't know what
> is wrong. That page passes XHTML 1.0 test, and I cannot find any
> function that tells me why this button become activated in IE 8.
>
> How can I check what causes the Compatibility View mode to be
> activated at certain pages in IE 8 Beta 2?

rob^_^

Re: Can I check what causes the Compatibility View mode?
Hi Cat,

F12 to display the Developer Tool. On its Title bar will be the Document
Mode for your page.

No Compatibility View button. Either you have a malformed Doctype
declaration (forcing Quirks rendering mode) or you have the option on the
Tools>Compatibility View Settings menu option, to "Display intranet sites in
Compatibility View" checked and you are running your page in localhost.

The Developer tool has menu options to validate your page to determine if
you have the correct doctype declaration.

IE Beta Public Newsgroup Support: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta

Via the web-interface:

Via your newsreader:

Regards.

"RealCat" <typingcat@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've been using IE 8 Beta 2. At first, I thought the "Compatibility
> View" button next to the "Go" button always appeared, but I found that
> it only appears at certain web pages, namely pages that have problems.
> Sadly, that button appears at my homepage too, but I don't know what
> is wrong. That page passes XHTML 1.0 test, and I cannot find any
> function that tells me why this button become activated in IE 8.
>
> How can I check what causes the Compatibility View mode to be
> activated at certain pages in IE 8 Beta 2?

RealCat

Re: Can I check what causes the Compatibility View mode?
Thanks. I'm using Google Groups. I first tried to find a specific
group for IE beta, but I couldn't.
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta doesn't seem to be available on
Google Groups. Anyways, I visit the URL you have told me, and posted
this question there.