iexplore.exe - Application error

Tom Stuart

iexplore.exe - Application error
I upgraded to IE8beta. I also installed SP3. Since then I've been
getting the following error when attempting to start IE8beta:
---------------
iexplore.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x5a913420" referenced memory at "0x5a913420". The
memory could not be "written".
Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program
----------------
When I try to uninstall IE8BETA I get a message saying it cannot be
uninstalled. When I try to install IE7 over the top I get told that I
can't install it since there is a later version already installed.

Firefox works okay. However I tried the new Google Chrome to see if it
works and it gives the exact same error apart from the iexplore.exe is
chrome.exe.

I'd be glad of any help with this problem.

Regards

Tom

Don Varnau

Re: iexplore.exe - Application error
Hi,
If SP3 was installed after IE8 beta, you will have to remove SP3 before
uninstalling IE8.
See: IEBlog- IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3

Before you uninstall either SP3 or IE8, a third-party program is probably
causing the error.
Start IE7 without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)

If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.
See: http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
for troubleshooting information.
More at:
- - -
The troublesome program may not be a browser add-on.
See: 936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

See http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Tom Stuart wrote:
> I upgraded to IE8beta. I also installed SP3. Since then I've been
> getting the following error when attempting to start IE8beta:
> ---------------
> iexplore.exe - Application Error
> The instruction at "0x5a913420" referenced memory at "0x5a913420". The
> memory could not be "written".
> Click on OK to terminate the program
> Click on CANCEL to debug the program
> ----------------
> When I try to uninstall IE8BETA I get a message saying it cannot be
> uninstalled. When I try to install IE7 over the top I get told that I
> can't install it since there is a later version already installed.
>
> Firefox works okay. However I tried the new Google Chrome to see if it
> works and it gives the exact same error apart from the iexplore.exe is
> chrome.exe.
>
> I'd be glad of any help with this problem.
>
> Regards
>
> Tom

Tom Stuart

Re: iexplore.exe - Application error
Hi Don,

I followed numerous leads in your suggestions. So much so I now can't
tell you which of the leads solved my problem. In any case I thank you
and my solution was:

I had installed IE8B before XP SP3. I figured this had something to do
with my problem with IE8B. I tried a couple of ways to uninstall XP SP3
without success. Your leads help me to a command that got the
unistaller going. Once removed I have had no problems with IE8B or
Chrome. So problem solved.

You might tell me now however, what do I do in regard to SP3 ... ignore
it an suppose that Windows Update will install all the patches in good
time?

Thanks again for get things going again.

Regards

Tom

> Hi,
> If SP3 was installed after IE8 beta, you will have to remove SP3 before
> uninstalling IE8.
> See: IEBlog- IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
>
> Before you uninstall either SP3 or IE8, a third-party program is probably
> causing the error.
> Start IE7 without add-ons from:
> Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
> or
> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
>
> If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.
> See: http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
> for troubleshooting information.
> More at:
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
> - - -
> The troublesome program may not be a browser add-on.
> See: 936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
> Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Tom Stuart" <tom@uniting.com.au> wrote in message
> > I upgraded to IE8beta. I also installed SP3. Since then I've been
> > getting the following error when attempting to start IE8beta:
> > ---------------
> > iexplore.exe - Application Error
> > The instruction at "0x5a913420" referenced memory at "0x5a913420". The
> > memory could not be "written".
> > Click on OK to terminate the program
> > Click on CANCEL to debug the program
> > ----------------
> > When I try to uninstall IE8BETA I get a message saying it cannot be
> > uninstalled. When I try to install IE7 over the top I get told that I
> > can't install it since there is a later version already installed.
> >
> > Firefox works okay. However I tried the new Google Chrome to see if it
> > works and it gives the exact same error apart from the iexplore.exe is
> > chrome.exe.
> >
> > I'd be glad of any help with this problem.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Tom

Re: iexplore.exe - Application error
See http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx and
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...-8-beta-2.aspx

PS: The fact that you've got identical threads running in IE General and IE
Beta newsgroups is not helping matters, Tom. Stick with one (1) thread,
please.

Tom Stuart wrote:
> [...]
>>> I upgraded to IE8beta. I also installed SP3. Since then I've been
>>> getting the following error when attempting to start IE8beta:
>>> ---------------
>>> iexplore.exe - Application Error
>>> The instruction at "0x5a913420" referenced memory at "0x5a913420". The
>>> memory could not be "written".
>>> Click on OK to terminate the program
>>> Click on CANCEL to debug the program
>>> ----------------
>>> When I try to uninstall IE8BETA I get a message saying it cannot be
>>> uninstalled. When I try to install IE7 over the top I get told that I
>>> can't install it since there is a later version already installed.
>>>
>>> Firefox works okay. However I tried the new Google Chrome to see if it
>>> works and it gives the exact same error apart from the iexplore.exe is
>>> chrome.exe.
>>>
>>> I'd be glad of any help with this problem.

Unless you have a compelling reason to be running IE8 Beta, I would
uninstall IE8 until it's out of Beta testing, install SP3 and if the
application error occurs, look for an incompatible browser add-on or
third-party program.

Or take a walk on the wild side, try IE8 and SP3 again and look for an
incompatible add-on or program.

> [...]

> > > getting the following error when attempting to start IE8beta:
> > > ---------------
> > > iexplore.exe - Application Error
> > > The instruction at "0x5a913420" referenced memory at "0x5a913420".

The
> > > memory could not be "written".
> > > Click on OK to terminate the program
> > > Click on CANCEL to debug the program
> > > ----------------
> > > When I try to uninstall IE8BETA I get a message saying it cannot be
> > > uninstalled. When I try to install IE7 over the top I get told that I
> > > can't install it since there is a later version already installed.
> > >
> > > Firefox works okay. However I tried the new Google Chrome to see if

it
> > > works and it gives the exact same error apart from the iexplore.exe is
> > > chrome.exe.
> > >
> > > I'd be glad of any help with this problem.

Tom Stuart

Re: iexplore.exe - Application error
Hi Don,
Actually, I will go the conservative direction. Particularly that I
can't get SP3 to install now!
Thanks
Tom