Password protection for Internet Explorer

Dan

Password protection for Internet Explorer
I have a friend who just got high-speed Internet service after having used a
dial-up service. She needs to be able to password-protect access to Internet
Explorer and the Internet connection while leaving the computer accessible to
others for other software use, such as Word and Excel. She does not use
multiple logins. Is there a software product or other solution that someone
can suggest for situation? Thanks!

Re: Password protection for Internet Explorer
IE cannot be password-protected but the broadband connection and all User
Accounts can be.

Assuming WinXP: Start | Settings | Network Connections | right-click on
Broadband | Properties | Security (tab) | Security options | ...

Only your friend should be able to use her User Account (and it should be
password-protected if others are going to be allowed to use the machine).
All other users should either have their own User Account or use the Guest
Account, all of which should have only limited privileges.

More discussion and safety tips here: http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=30095
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Dan wrote:
> I have a friend who just got high-speed Internet service after having used
> dial-up service. She needs to be able to password-protect access to
> Internet
> Explorer and the Internet connection while leaving the computer accessible
> to others for other software use, such as Word and Excel. She does not use
> multiple logins. Is there a software product or other solution that
> someone
> can suggest for situation? Thanks!

Dan

Re: Password protection for Internet Explorer
Thank you for your response. It sounds promising.

I wanted to look for the setting on my machine before telling her what to
do. I am running Win XP Pro. When I open Network Connections, I have a
subheading called "LAN or High-Speed Internet" and under that is an icon for
"Local Area Connection." When I right-click on that and choose Properties, I
don't see a Security tab. What am I missing?

Also, everyone on her system uses the same user account.

Thanks again for your help.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> IE cannot be password-protected but the broadband connection and all User
> Accounts can be.
>
> Assuming WinXP: Start | Settings | Network Connections | right-click on
> Broadband | Properties | Security (tab) | Security options | ...
>
> Only your friend should be able to use her User Account (and it should be
> password-protected if others are going to be allowed to use the machine).
> All other users should either have their own User Account or use the Guest
> Account, all of which should have only limited privileges.
>
> More discussion and safety tips here: http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=30095
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Dan wrote:
> > I have a friend who just got high-speed Internet service after having used
> > dial-up service. She needs to be able to password-protect access to
> > Internet
> > Explorer and the Internet connection while leaving the computer accessible
> > to others for other software use, such as Word and Excel. She does not use
> > multiple logins. Is there a software product or other solution that
> > someone
> > can suggest for situation? Thanks!

Re: Password protection for Internet Explorer
Other settings control security with LAN connections, Dan. Please begin a
new thread about this in this, moe appropriate, newsgroup:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web