2 IE 7s in Vista Ultimate Why?

Butcherboy

2 IE 7s in Vista Ultimate Why?
Recently installed fresh Vista Ult 64-bit. There are two IEs, one shows
64-bit. Often use the non-64-bit. Now when I try to open it, get IE will
shut down msg. It does so and I can use it when it's finished doing so, but
can't open Tools or manage add on; however, IE 7 64-bit works fine, no issues
except sites that want to give me the Adobe download and it's not 64-bit so
it won't load.
Questions: Why two versions? How can I fix the Ie 7 non-64bit? Any, any
hints or possible solutions received will be pursued with vigor!
Thanks, C

Re: 2 IE 7s in Vista Ultimate Why?
Is the machine fully patched at Windows Update? Are you running Vista or
Vista SP1 now?

A1. It's default behavior in all Windows x64 versions.

A2. In no certain order:

How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided Help)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Butcherboy wrote:
> Recently installed fresh Vista Ult 64-bit. There are two IEs, one shows
> 64-bit. Often use the non-64-bit. Now when I try to open it, get IE will
> shut down msg. It does so and I can use it when it's finished doing so,
> but
> can't open Tools or manage add on; however, IE 7 64-bit works fine, no
> issues except sites that want to give me the Adobe download and it's not
> 64-bit so it won't load.
> Questions: Why two versions? How can I fix the Ie 7 non-64bit? Any, any
> hints or possible solutions received will be pursued with vigor!
> Thanks, C

Butcherboy

Re: 2 IE 7s in Vista Ultimate Why?

Thank you so much for the response. I'll get going on those suggestions
this evening when I get home. I apologize for not including info about sp1.
My install disk includes it. Initially the IE7 worked fine, but the issue
started yesterday. At first the error message included somthing about Adobe
helper, but I didn't pay attention to the details. Then afterwards everytime
I open it a vague error message pops up saying IE will close. Most of the
time it doesn't appear to close but just starts working. However, the add on
and tools won't open now. As of last night, there were no more updates
available for my machine.
Why are there two IEs on one OS?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is the machine fully patched at Windows Update? Are you running Vista or
> Vista SP1 now? I assume both are supposed to be used.

Again, I will work on the solutions you provided and thank you much.
C.

> A1. It's default behavior in all Windows x64 versions.
>
> A2. In no certain order:
>
> How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215
>
> How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
>
> Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided Help)
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Butcherboy wrote:
> > Recently installed fresh Vista Ult 64-bit. There are two IEs, one shows
> > 64-bit. Often use the non-64-bit. Now when I try to open it, get IE will
> > shut down msg. It does so and I can use it when it's finished doing so,
> > but
> > can't open Tools or manage add on; however, IE 7 64-bit works fine, no
> > issues except sites that want to give me the Adobe download and it's not
> > 64-bit so it won't load.
> > Questions: Why two versions? How can I fix the Ie 7 non-64bit? Any, any
> > hints or possible solutions received will be pursued with vigor!
> > Thanks, C

Leonard Grey

Re: 2 IE 7s in Vista Ultimate Why?
(I'm afraid to ask but here goes What made you decide to choose the
64-bit version of Vista over the 32-bit version?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Butcherboy wrote:
> Thank you so much for the response. I'll get going on those suggestions
> this evening when I get home. I apologize for not including info about sp1.
> My install disk includes it. Initially the IE7 worked fine, but the issue
> started yesterday. At first the error message included somthing about Adobe
> helper, but I didn't pay attention to the details. Then afterwards everytime
> I open it a vague error message pops up saying IE will close. Most of the
> time it doesn't appear to close but just starts working. However, the add on
> and tools won't open now. As of last night, there were no more updates
> available for my machine.
> Why are there two IEs on one OS?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Is the machine fully patched at Windows Update? Are you running Vista or
>> Vista SP1 now? I assume both are supposed to be used.

> Again, I will work on the solutions you provided and thank you much.
> C.
>> A1. It's default behavior in all Windows x64 versions.
>>
>> A2. In no certain order:
>>
>> How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215
>>
>> How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
>>
>> Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided Help)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Butcherboy wrote:
>>> Recently installed fresh Vista Ult 64-bit. There are two IEs, one shows
>>> 64-bit. Often use the non-64-bit. Now when I try to open it, get IE will
>>> shut down msg. It does so and I can use it when it's finished doing so,
>>> but
>>> can't open Tools or manage add on; however, IE 7 64-bit works fine, no
>>> issues except sites that want to give me the Adobe download and it's not
>>> 64-bit so it won't load.
>>> Questions: Why two versions? How can I fix the Ie 7 non-64bit? Any, any
>>> hints or possible solutions received will be pursued with vigor!
>>> Thanks, C

Re: 2 IE 7s in Vista Ultimate Why?
> At first the error message included somthing about Adobe
> helper, but I didn't pay attention to the details.

Pay attention next time. Adobe Acrobat Reader v8.1.2 Security Update 1
should be the only version installed.

> Why are there two IEs on one OS?

Again, this is the default in all Windows x64 versions (e.g., WinXP x64).
(Perhaps you really didn't need to purchase a Vista x64 version.)

Windows Vista Help: 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...c8a701033.mspx

A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows Vista
and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765

Compare editions: 64-bit editions of Windows Vista:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ns/64-bit.aspx
--
~PA Bear

Butcherboy wrote:
> Thank you so much for the response. I'll get going on those suggestions
> this evening when I get home. I apologize for not including info about
> sp1.
> My install disk includes it. Initially the IE7 worked fine, but the issue
> started yesterday. At first the error message included somthing about
> Adobe
> helper, but I didn't pay attention to the details. Then afterwards
> everytime I open it a vague error message pops up saying IE will close.
> Most of the time it doesn't appear to close but just starts working.
> However, the add on and tools won't open now. As of last night, there
> were
> no more updates available for my machine.
> Why are there two IEs on one OS?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Is the machine fully patched at Windows Update? Are you running Vista or
>> Vista SP1 now? I assume both are supposed to be used.

> Again, I will work on the solutions you provided and thank you much.
> C.
>>
>> A1. It's default behavior in all Windows x64 versions.
>>
>> A2. In no certain order:
>>
>> How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215
>>
>> How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
>>
>> Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided
>> Help) http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Butcherboy wrote:
>>> Recently installed fresh Vista Ult 64-bit. There are two IEs, one shows
>>> 64-bit. Often use the non-64-bit. Now when I try to open it, get IE
>>> will
>>> shut down msg. It does so and I can use it when it's finished doing so,
>>> but
>>> can't open Tools or manage add on; however, IE 7 64-bit works fine, no
>>> issues except sites that want to give me the Adobe download and it's not
>>> 64-bit so it won't load.
>>> Questions: Why two versions? How can I fix the Ie 7 non-64bit? Any,
>>> any
>>> hints or possible solutions received will be pursued with vigor!
>>> Thanks, C

Butcherboy

Re: 2 IE 7s in Vista Ultimate Why?
Messers Grey and Bear: To be direct with you fellows, I want to follow the
leading edges of technology trends and I am curious about a 64-bit system's
performance. I find the machine to operate a bit smoother all around, but I
could be fooling myself about that. Anyway, somebody has to keep good people
like you busy helping them out of messes, like the one I find myself in.
It's the nature of the human beast, isn't it?
Once again thanks for your help and I'll get right on fixing the problem
before it grows any bigger, I hope.
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > At first the error message included somthing about Adobe
> > helper, but I didn't pay attention to the details.

> Pay attention next time. Adobe Acrobat Reader v8.1.2 Security Update 1
> should be the only version installed.
>
> > Why are there two IEs on one OS?

> Again, this is the default in all Windows x64 versions (e.g., WinXP x64).
> (Perhaps you really didn't need to purchase a Vista x64 version.)
>
> Windows Vista Help: 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...c8a701033.mspx
>
> A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows Vista
> and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765
>
> Compare editions: 64-bit editions of Windows Vista:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ns/64-bit.aspx
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> Butcherboy wrote:
> > Thank you so much for the response. I'll get going on those suggestions
> > this evening when I get home. I apologize for not including info about
> > sp1.
> > My install disk includes it. Initially the IE7 worked fine, but the issue
> > started yesterday. At first the error message included somthing about
> > Adobe
> > helper, but I didn't pay attention to the details. Then afterwards
> > everytime I open it a vague error message pops up saying IE will close.
> > Most of the time it doesn't appear to close but just starts working.
> > However, the add on and tools won't open now. As of last night, there
> > were
> > no more updates available for my machine.
> > Why are there two IEs on one OS?
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Is the machine fully patched at Windows Update? Are you running Vista or
> >> Vista SP1 now? I assume both are supposed to be used.

> > Again, I will work on the solutions you provided and thank you much.
> > C.
> >>
> >> A1. It's default behavior in all Windows x64 versions.
> >>
> >> A2. In no certain order:
> >>
> >> How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215
> >>
> >> How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
> >>
> >> Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided
> >> Help) http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Butcherboy

Re: 2 IE 7s in Vista Ultimate Why?
All Right, Messers Grey and Bear: I went through most of the suggestions
presented. I became clear that the issue wasn't isolated to IE 7, the 256bit
part, as I mentioned the 64-bit one had "no" issues. that makes it a bit
puzzling, I mean have two installed on one OS wherein One operates fine and
the Other messed up.
To shorten it all, I decided to begin removing programs, beginning with,
wouldn't you know it? The Anit-V program! Yes, I installed BitDefender last
week. It appear to install and setup fine, but it was the culprit, gradually
inflicting harm throughout my system. As soon as I removed it, all returned
to normal working of the OS.
I heard good things about BitDefender, but it didn't like my system. I'm
now engaged with BitDefender - either get it to work now, or refund me!
I still don't know why MS installs 2 versions of IE on the OS; perhaps to
make it even more difficult to isolate and troublshoot issues????
Thanks you for your help, and let's keep pressing this technology forward in
every way. I like 64-bits!

"Butcherboy" wrote:

> Messers Grey and Bear: To be direct with you fellows, I want to follow the
> leading edges of technology trends and I am curious about a 64-bit system's
> performance. I find the machine to operate a bit smoother all around, but I
> could be fooling myself about that. Anyway, somebody has to keep good people
> like you busy helping them out of messes, like the one I find myself in.
> It's the nature of the human beast, isn't it?
> Once again thanks for your help and I'll get right on fixing the problem
> before it grows any bigger, I hope.
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > > At first the error message included somthing about Adobe
> > > helper, but I didn't pay attention to the details.

> > Pay attention next time. Adobe Acrobat Reader v8.1.2 Security Update 1
> > should be the only version installed.
> >
> > > Why are there two IEs on one OS?

> > Again, this is the default in all Windows x64 versions (e.g., WinXP x64).
> > (Perhaps you really didn't need to purchase a Vista x64 version.)
> >
> > Windows Vista Help: 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions:
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...c8a701033.mspx
> >
> > A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows Vista
> > and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765
> >
> > Compare editions: 64-bit editions of Windows Vista:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ns/64-bit.aspx
> > --
> > ~PA Bear
> >

> > Butcherboy wrote:
> > > Thank you so much for the response. I'll get going on those suggestions
> > > this evening when I get home. I apologize for not including info about
> > > sp1.
> > > My install disk includes it. Initially the IE7 worked fine, but the issue
> > > started yesterday. At first the error message included somthing about
> > > Adobe
> > > helper, but I didn't pay attention to the details. Then afterwards
> > > everytime I open it a vague error message pops up saying IE will close.
> > > Most of the time it doesn't appear to close but just starts working.
> > > However, the add on and tools won't open now. As of last night, there
> > > were
> > > no more updates available for my machine.
> > > Why are there two IEs on one OS?

> > > Again, I will work on the solutions you provided and thank you much.
> > > C.

Re: 2 IE 7s in Vista Ultimate Why?
> ...I installed BitDefender last
> week. It appear to install and setup fine, but it was the culprit,
> gradually inflicting harm throughout my system. As soon as I removed it,
> all returned to normal working of the OS.

What anti-virus application had you been using before you installed
BitDefender? Did you uninstall it before you installed BitDefender? What
anti-virus application is installed now? Was a Norton or McAfee application
ever installed (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled on the
machine)?

How to uninstall BitDefender:
http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB333-en--...tDefender.html

> I still don't know why MS installs 2 versions of IE on the OS

Then perhaps it didn't make sense to purchase Vista x64.

Butcherboy wrote:
> All Right, Messers Grey and Bear: I went through most of the suggestions
> presented. I became clear that the issue wasn't isolated to IE 7, the
> 256bit part, as I mentioned the 64-bit one had "no" issues. that makes it
> a bit puzzling, I mean have two installed on one OS wherein One operates
> fine and the Other messed up.
> To shorten it all, I decided to begin removing programs, beginning with,
> wouldn't you know it? The Anit-V program! Yes, I installed BitDefender
> last
> week. It appear to install and setup fine, but it was the culprit,
> gradually inflicting harm throughout my system. As soon as I removed it,
> all returned to normal working of the OS.
> I heard good things about BitDefender, but it didn't like my system. I'm
> now engaged with BitDefender - either get it to work now, or refund me!
> I still don't know why MS installs 2 versions of IE on the OS; perhaps to
> make it even more difficult to isolate and troublshoot issues????
> Thanks you for your help, and let's keep pressing this technology forward
> in
> every way. I like 64-bits!
>
> "Butcherboy" wrote:
>
>> Messers Grey and Bear: To be direct with you fellows, I want to follow
>> the
>> leading edges of technology trends and I am curious about a 64-bit
>> system's
>> performance. I find the machine to operate a bit smoother all around,
>> but
>> I could be fooling myself about that. Anyway, somebody has to keep good
>> people like you busy helping them out of messes, like the one I find
>> myself in. It's the nature of the human beast, isn't it?
>> Once again thanks for your help and I'll get right on fixing the problem
>> before it grows any bigger, I hope.

>>> Pay attention next time. Adobe Acrobat Reader v8.1.2 Security Update 1
>>> should be the only version installed.

>>> Again, this is the default in all Windows x64 versions (e.g., WinXP
>>> x64).
>>> (Perhaps you really didn't need to purchase a Vista x64 version.)
>>>
>>> Windows Vista Help: 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked
>>> questions:
>>> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...c8a701033.mspx
>>>
>>> A description of the differences between 32-bit versions of Windows
>>> Vista
>>> and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946765
>>>
>>> Compare editions: 64-bit editions of Windows Vista:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ns/64-bit.aspx
>>> --
>>> ~PA Bear

Butcherboy

Re: 2 IE 7s in Vista Ultimate Why?
Mr. Bear, do you not like 64-bit OS, or do you despise me for my ignorance in
selecting the 64-bit choice? I assume that there are 2 versions of IE, one
64-bit and the other appears to be 256-bit, because many internet sites are
not set up for 64-bit browsers. However, not being an expert in the field, I
appealed to people smarter then me, like you, Mr. Bear, to give at least a
hint why there are two versions so that I could save face and gain a bit more
knowledge about what I have gotten myself into with this magnificant system I
have. Yes, I like the way it is performing. As I mentioned above I could be
fooling myself, but it really seems to operate smoother than my 32-bit
Windows XP. Of course, Vista is not XP.
I have an idea that you know why microsoft imbedded the two versions, but
why are you so reluctant to pound on me for selecting 64-bit over 32-bit
instead of just coming out with it? Is my assumption right or wrong? Are
the 2 versions there to meet the requirements of websites or am I way out in
left field? If I am, again, just lay it on me. Why 2 browsers? Oh, and
please don't get angry with me.
Appreciate your help, and by the way, I discovered additonal problem which I
posted in another thread. This time it's about not being able to open the
CBS.log file, as the result of sfc /scannow finding and repairing corrupt
files; not once, but every time I run it.
Thanks, Mr. Bear

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > ...I installed BitDefender last
> > week. It appear to install and setup fine, but it was the culprit,
> > gradually inflicting harm throughout my system. As soon as I removed it,
> > all returned to normal working of the OS.

> What anti-virus application had you been using before you installed
> BitDefender? Did you uninstall it before you installed BitDefender? What
> anti-virus application is installed now? Was a Norton or McAfee application
> ever installed (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled on the
> machine)?
>
> How to uninstall BitDefender:
> http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB333-en--...tDefender.html
>
> > I still don't know why MS installs 2 versions of IE on the OS

> Then perhaps it didn't make sense to purchase Vista x64.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Butcherboy wrote:
> > All Right, Messers Grey and Bear: I went through most of the suggestions
> > presented. I became clear that the issue wasn't isolated to IE 7, the
> > 256bit part, as I mentioned the 64-bit one had "no" issues. that makes it
> > a bit puzzling, I mean have two installed on one OS wherein One operates
> > fine and the Other messed up.
> > To shorten it all, I decided to begin removing programs, beginning with,
> > wouldn't you know it? The Anit-V program! Yes, I installed BitDefender
> > last
> > week. It appear to install and setup fine, but it was the culprit,
> > gradually inflicting harm throughout my system. As soon as I removed it,
> > all returned to normal working of the OS.
> > I heard good things about BitDefender, but it didn't like my system. I'm
> > now engaged with BitDefender - either get it to work now, or refund me!
> > I still don't know why MS installs 2 versions of IE on the OS; perhaps to
> > make it even more difficult to isolate and troublshoot issues????
> > Thanks you for your help, and let's keep pressing this technology forward
> > in
> > every way. I like 64-bits!
> >
> > "Butcherboy" wrote:
> >
> >> Messers Grey and Bear: To be direct with you fellows, I want to follow
> >> the
> >> leading edges of technology trends and I am curious about a 64-bit
> >> system's
> >> performance. I find the machine to operate a bit smoother all around,
> >> but
> >> I could be fooling myself about that. Anyway, somebody has to keep good
> >> people like you busy helping them out of messes, like the one I find
> >> myself in. It's the nature of the human beast, isn't it?
> >> Once again thanks for your help and I'll get right on fixing the problem
> >> before it grows any bigger, I hope.

Leonard Grey

Re: 2 IE 7s in Vista Ultimate Why?
If you try a Lamborghini without the knowledge and experience to drive
one, you will eventually wrap it around a tree. Same thing with
software. I would not accuse you of being a poser. I just find it
amusing, that's all.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est