ftp usage w/ ie7?

JimSturtz

ftp usage w/ ie7?
i am trying to login to our ftp site w/

ftp://username@ftp.oursite.com:pword..._html/username

the users folder is in the public_html folder off the root of the site.

w/o much luck. tried different variations of this.

is there a pointer to an ftp syntax to use in ie7.

i have a ftpclient i normally use, but want to let my daughter copy a file
up and didnt want to have her go thru getting another client, setting it up
etc for what is probably a 1 time thing.

thanks.

jim

thanks.

jim
Don Varnau

Re: ftp usage w/ ie7?
Hi,
Windows XP or Vista?

That syntax (including the username/password) won't work with IE7, but can
be used to create a Network Place / Network Location.

Why can't she access ftp@ftp.oursite.com and login?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"JimSturtz" <JimSturtz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i am trying to login to our ftp site w/
>
> ftp://username@ftp.oursite.com:pword..._html/username
>
> the users folder is in the public_html folder off the root of the site.
>
> w/o much luck. tried different variations of this.
>
> is there a pointer to an ftp syntax to use in ie7.
>
> i have a ftpclient i normally use, but want to let my daughter copy a file
> up and didnt want to have her go thru getting another client, setting it

up
> etc for what is probably a 1 time thing.
>
> thanks.
>
> jim

JimSturtz

Re: ftp usage w/ ie7?
can you give me both, they have 1 of each at home.

as for logging in, i tried on my machine (xp) and it logs in to the root of
the server rather than the user area.

i logged into the 'management' program of our site and told it to create
another user. it did so and made that user area be off of \public_html.

i dont know how to tell ie7 (or whatever) to login to THAT folder, so that
was why i was looking for a way to combine the whole process into one url
instruction.

thanks.

jim

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Windows XP or Vista?
>
> That syntax (including the username/password) won't work with IE7, but can
> be used to create a Network Place / Network Location.
>
> Why can't she access ftp@ftp.oursite.com and login?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "JimSturtz" <JimSturtz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > i am trying to login to our ftp site w/
> >
> > ftp://username@ftp.oursite.com:pword..._html/username
> >
> > the users folder is in the public_html folder off the root of the site.
> >
> > w/o much luck. tried different variations of this.
> >
> > is there a pointer to an ftp syntax to use in ie7.
> >
> > i have a ftpclient i normally use, but want to let my daughter copy a file
> > up and didnt want to have her go thru getting another client, setting it

> up
> > etc for what is probably a 1 time thing.
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > jim

Don Varnau

Re: ftp usage w/ ie7?
Hi,
I don't think you can send a hyperlink which can simply be clicked.

This took me directly to the public_html folder on a FTP site I have access
to:
ftp://usernameassword@domain name.com/public_html
That syntax will not work through IE7 but can be made a Network Place in XP
or Network Location in Vista. If a second login were required to access the
public_html older, I'm not sure how to work that in.

XP:
Go to My Network Places> Add Network Place. Follow the wizard to add the FTP
site. The URL format
ftp://usernameassword@domain name.com/public_html should work.

If Network Places isn't on the desktop... Display Properties> Desktop>
Customize> check it.
- - -
Vista:
Open My Computer. Right-click in the My Computer window. Select "Add a
Network location." Work through the wizard.