IE 8 B2 - starting additional instances of the browser

Robert M. Soran

IE 8 B2 - starting additional instances of the browser
Question

Environ: Vista SP1, latest updates, IE 8 B2.

It's not possible to start via the IE icon additional IE8 instances/sessions
after having successfully started the first one.
Once I click on the icon (any IE icon) to start the second instance of the
application it opens for half a second and then closes.

Opening an new window via "File"/"Open new window" works, but this is just a
new window and I need a new instance!

All other browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari) still allow me to open
additional instances.

I didn't change my boot.ini and I haven't installed Google Toolbar Notifier
or alikes.

Anyone els with this "bug" or with an idea for a solution?

Kind regards,

Prof. Dr. Mihai-Robert Soran
Former SVP Research and Consulting, Forrester Research and Giga Information
Group

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE 8 B2 - starting additional instances of the browser
(cross-post added to IE Beta)
"Robert M. Soran" <RobertMSoran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Question
>
> Environ: Vista SP1, latest updates, IE 8 B2.

Please post in IE Beta about problems seen using IE8b2.
Cross-posting for convenience. Depending on the web portal
you are using to post with you may be able to click on the new newsgroup
name to make the switch. Otherwise we can continue via the cross-post.

> It's not possible to start via the IE icon additional IE8 instances/sessions
> after having successfully started the first one.

I would agree it's different. ; )

> Once I click on the icon (any IE icon) to start the second instance of the
> application it opens for half a second and then closes.

Try starting both instances in No Add-ons mode. Does the second instance
still close?

> Opening an new window via "File"/"Open new window" works, but this is just a
> new window and I need a new instance!

Previous to IE8 I often used to get a new iexplore tasks by starting them via
the XP Start menu. E.g. I have explorer.exe use the Favorites menu that way.
Now I seem to only get new ones when I explicitly request them with:

iexplore.exe -new

Hmm... well, it sometimes still works, I think. Maybe only after crash
recovery has been invoked? There are plenty of possibilities of that
being suggested in the IE Beta NG. ; )

However, I haven't really tried testing the extent of this discrepancy.
E.g. it could be due to tabbed browsing, or the new task recovery feature
or even something changed about Reuse windows for launching shortcuts
(when tabbed browsing is off).

> All other browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari) still allow me to open
> additional instances.
>
> I didn't change my boot.ini and I haven't installed Google Toolbar Notifier
> or alikes.
>
> Anyone els with this "bug" or with an idea for a solution?

I wouldn't call it a bug, just a new quirk or undocumented function change
in IE8. <eg>

> Kind regards,
>
> Prof. Dr. Mihai-Robert Soran
> Former SVP Research and Consulting, Forrester Research and Giga Information
> Group

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: IE 8 B2 - starting additional instances of the browser
IE Beta Public Newsgroup Support: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta

Via the web-interface:

Via your newsreader:

[Yes, I understand that the link you used probably brought you to IE General
newsgroup. That needs to be fixed.]
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Robert M. Soran wrote:
> Question
>
> Environ: Vista SP1, latest updates, IE 8 B2.
>
> It's not possible to start via the IE icon additional IE8
> instances/sessions
> after having successfully started the first one.
> Once I click on the icon (any IE icon) to start the second instance of the
> application it opens for half a second and then closes.
>
> Opening an new window via "File"/"Open new window" works, but this is just
> new window and I need a new instance!
>
> All other browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari) still allow me to open
> additional instances.
>
> I didn't change my boot.ini and I haven't installed Google Toolbar
> Notifier
> or alikes.
>
> Anyone els with this "bug" or with an idea for a solution?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Prof. Dr. Mihai-Robert Soran
> Former SVP Research and Consulting, Forrester Research and Giga
> Information
> Group

ajaxoz

Re: IE 8 B2 - starting additional instances of the browser
Hi,

This is the only link that I could find relating to additional instances of
the browser - IE8 B2 - or sub-windows that some sites use.

I am currently experiencing frustration with banks and financial
institutions here in Australia when using IE8 B2. When looking at an
account, a new encrypted window is opened, but has none of the usual address
or back or forward buttons, menus or anything that can be changed or altered
by the user - nothing unusual or unexpected as this is usual practice. My
issue arises when the contents are not displayed within the new window.
I have encountered this previously on some websites, but have had the luxury
of using Compatibility View which works without issue. With these additional
windows
I have nowhere to click on compatibility view to allow the contents to
display.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
When getting into the site initially, I DO have to click on Compatibity View
to allow the contents to display correctly - is it possbile to add the
functionality of Compatibility View to any sub-windows that are opened by
websites such as these?

A specific example is www.sunsuper.com.au

Thanks!

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to IE Beta)
> "Robert M. Soran" <RobertMSoran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Question
> >
> > Environ: Vista SP1, latest updates, IE 8 B2.

> Please post in IE Beta about problems seen using IE8b2.
> Cross-posting for convenience. Depending on the web portal
> you are using to post with you may be able to click on the new newsgroup
> name to make the switch. Otherwise we can continue via the cross-post.
>

> > It's not possible to start via the IE icon additional IE8 instances/sessions
> > after having successfully started the first one.

> I would agree it's different. ; )
>

> > Once I click on the icon (any IE icon) to start the second instance of the
> > application it opens for half a second and then closes.

> Try starting both instances in No Add-ons mode. Does the second instance
> still close?
>

> > Opening an new window via "File"/"Open new window" works, but this is just a
> > new window and I need a new instance!

> Previous to IE8 I often used to get a new iexplore tasks by starting them via
> the XP Start menu. E.g. I have explorer.exe use the Favorites menu that way.
> Now I seem to only get new ones when I explicitly request them with:
>
> iexplore.exe -new
>
> Hmm... well, it sometimes still works, I think. Maybe only after crash
> recovery has been invoked? There are plenty of possibilities of that
> being suggested in the IE Beta NG. ; )
>
> However, I haven't really tried testing the extent of this discrepancy.
> E.g. it could be due to tabbed browsing, or the new task recovery feature
> or even something changed about Reuse windows for launching shortcuts
> (when tabbed browsing is off).
>

> > All other browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari) still allow me to open
> > additional instances.
> >
> > I didn't change my boot.ini and I haven't installed Google Toolbar Notifier
> > or alikes.
> >
> > Anyone els with this "bug" or with an idea for a solution?

> I wouldn't call it a bug, just a new quirk or undocumented function change
> in IE8. <eg>
>

> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Prof. Dr. Mihai-Robert Soran
> > Former SVP Research and Consulting, Forrester Research and Giga Information
> > Group
> >

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 B2 - starting additional instances of the browser
I'm not aware of any bank or financial institution that supports beta
versions of software.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

"A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

"ajaxoz" <ajaxoz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> This is the only link that I could find relating to additional instances of
> the browser - IE8 B2 - or sub-windows that some sites use.

Unfortunately some of the IE8 support documentation points you to the IE General NG.
If you are able to switch to the IE Beta NG please do so. E.g. you could click on the link
in the header of this message to test such a switch and then to stop the cross-post to the
IE General NG you probably have to use the Advanced dialog from your Reply window
(e.g. leave only the name of the IE Beta newsgroup there).

> I am currently experiencing frustration with banks and financial
> institutions here in Australia when using IE8 B2.

Which really has nothing to do with the OP's problem or the Subject under discussion.
Please start a new thread in the proper newsgroup to avoid confusing this one any more.

> When looking at an account, a new encrypted window is opened,
> but has none of the usual address or back or forward buttons, menus
> or anything that can be changed or altered by the user - nothing unusual
> or unexpected as this is usual practice.

> My issue arises when the contents are not displayed within the new window.
> I have encountered this previously on some websites, but have had the luxury
> of using Compatibility View which works without issue.

> With these additional windows I have nowhere to click on compatibility view
> to allow the contents to display.

> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Two possible options. Often a popup window can be cloned, with more controls
available for it, by pressing Ctrl-N. Secondly, notice that there is an option in Tools
which allows you to request compatibility mode for *all* sites: Alt-T,b,Enter,Alt-e
That might be necessary if the Address in the popup's Address bar is from a different
domain from the one that the parent window shows (assuming that that one was already
marked as requiring compatibility mode. If that worked you could then try to figure
out what the different domain name was and add just that one to the list.

> When getting into the site initially, I DO have to click on Compatibity View
> to allow the contents to display correctly - is it possbile to add the
> functionality of Compatibility View to any sub-windows that are opened by
> websites such as these?
>

> A specific example is www.sunsuper.com.au

A more precise procedure may help others test how reproducible your symptoms are... ; }

> Thanks!

Good luck

Robert
---