502 proxy error msg when using IE7

Jim in Cleveland

502 proxy error msg when using IE7
I work for a Public Library that provides the Public with computers to access
the Internet. We are running Windows XP and using IE7. Our firewall
solution is Microsoft's ISA 2004. Some of our patrons are college students
who gain access to online material thru "blackboard software". When a lot of
them try to access their college's Blackboard site using IE7, they get a "502
proxy error msg". This only happens when using IE. If they use Firefox,
they do not get this error and they are able to get to the web site. At
first I thought it was a ISA setting but if that were the case, I would
assume that Firefox would get the same error msg.

If I go to IE >>Tools >> Internet Options >> Connections >> LAN settings and
uncheck Auto detect settings, Use auto config script and Proxy server
setting, IE will gain access to the Blackboard site. We've tried unchecking
these settings in the past and have had trouble getting out to the Internet.
Sometimes these settings work, sometimes they don't. Is there anything else
within IE 7 settings that I can set or unset that will help alleviate this
502 Proxy error msg and allow access to blackboard sites?
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: 502 proxy error msg when using IE7
(cross-post added to ISA Clients)
"Jim in Cleveland" <JiminCleveland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I work for a Public Library that provides the Public with computers to access
> the Internet. We are running Windows XP and using IE7. Our firewall
> solution is Microsoft's ISA 2004. Some of our patrons are college students
> who gain access to online material thru "blackboard software". When a lot of
> them try to access their college's Blackboard site using IE7, they get a "502
> proxy error msg". This only happens when using IE.

> If they use Firefox,
> they do not get this error and they are able to get to the web site. At
> first I thought it was a ISA setting but if that were the case, I would
> assume that Firefox would get the same error msg.

I suspect the proxy server is issuing the error message.
So, the question is: why?

Looks like you need to get a more precise symptom description.
E.g. ask your users to see if there is more detail than just HTTP 502

The following search produces several possibilities if you just want
to keep guessing:

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q...heckcustom= 1

(Live Search for
client http 502 ISA 2004 site:support.microsoft.com
- 19 hits
)

I had to add the words client and 2004 to cut my first search results
down to a more practical number, so you could probably also get more
ideas by using a less specific search but that will mean more reading
for you. ; )

> If I go to IE >>Tools >> Internet Options >> Connections >> LAN settings and
> uncheck Auto detect settings, Use auto config script and Proxy server
> setting, IE will gain access to the Blackboard site. We've tried unchecking
> these settings in the past and have had trouble getting out to the Internet.
> Sometimes these settings work, sometimes they don't.

That's entirely dependent on what the proxy server does with
the resulting protocol changes.

> Is there anything else
> within IE 7 settings that I can set or unset that will help alleviate this
> 502 Proxy error msg and allow access to blackboard sites?

If you don't get any better clues by getting more details from the error
message or by checking on the server side for why it is being issued,
I suggest getting TCP packet traces of all your cases and comparing them
to understand what is happening in each. E.g. on the client side you could
use netcap for capture and Ethereal (aka WireShark) for procol analysis.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Jim in Cleveland

Re: 502 proxy error msg when using IE7
I guess what puzzles me is why doesn't this happen with Firefox? Why does it
happen with Internet Explorer? If it was a proxy server issue, shouldn't I
get the same error from the proxy server when using Firefox?

The actual error message is;
Error Code: 502 Proxy Error. The specified Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) port
is not allowed. ISA Server is not configured to allow SSL requests from this
port. Most Web browsers use port 443 for SSL requests. (12204).

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to ISA Clients)
> "Jim in Cleveland" <JiminCleveland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I work for a Public Library that provides the Public with computers to access
> > the Internet. We are running Windows XP and using IE7. Our firewall
> > solution is Microsoft's ISA 2004. Some of our patrons are college students
> > who gain access to online material thru "blackboard software". When a lot of
> > them try to access their college's Blackboard site using IE7, they get a "502
> > proxy error msg". This only happens when using IE.

> > If they use Firefox,
> > they do not get this error and they are able to get to the web site. At
> > first I thought it was a ISA setting but if that were the case, I would
> > assume that Firefox would get the same error msg.

> I suspect the proxy server is issuing the error message.
> So, the question is: why?
>
> Looks like you need to get a more precise symptom description.
> E.g. ask your users to see if there is more detail than just HTTP 502
>
> The following search produces several possibilities if you just want
> to keep guessing:
>
> http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q...heckcustom= 1
>
> (Live Search for
> client http 502 ISA 2004 site:support.microsoft.com
> - 19 hits
> )
>
> I had to add the words client and 2004 to cut my first search results
> down to a more practical number, so you could probably also get more
> ideas by using a less specific search but that will mean more reading
> for you. ; )
>

> > If I go to IE >>Tools >> Internet Options >> Connections >> LAN settings and
> > uncheck Auto detect settings, Use auto config script and Proxy server
> > setting, IE will gain access to the Blackboard site. We've tried unchecking
> > these settings in the past and have had trouble getting out to the Internet.
> > Sometimes these settings work, sometimes they don't.

> That's entirely dependent on what the proxy server does with
> the resulting protocol changes.
>

> > Is there anything else
> > within IE 7 settings that I can set or unset that will help alleviate this
> > 502 Proxy error msg and allow access to blackboard sites?

> If you don't get any better clues by getting more details from the error
> message or by checking on the server side for why it is being issued,
> I suggest getting TCP packet traces of all your cases and comparing them
> to understand what is happening in each. E.g. on the client side you could
> use netcap for capture and Ethereal (aka WireShark) for procol analysis.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Phillip Windell

message news:9A07DAA2-A01C-4717-B84E-CE8A8957F60D@microsoft.com...
>I guess what puzzles me is why doesn't this happen with Firefox? Why does
>it
> happen with Internet Explorer? If it was a proxy server issue, shouldn't
> get the same error from the proxy server when using Firefox?
>
> The actual error message is;
> Error Code: 502 Proxy Error. The specified Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
> port
> is not allowed. ISA Server is not configured to allow SSL requests from
> this
> port. Most Web browsers use port 443 for SSL requests. (12204).
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

ISA, by default, for security reasons, will only allow SSL on port 443.
Look at the URL when the error occurs,...if it is a port other than 443 it
will show in the URL.

Since the website *knows* what browser is being used it may serve different
pages and the user will therfore follow a different "path" when using
Firefox,...like maybe a path that either doesn't use SSL or uses SSL on the
correct port.

You also said, "when a lot of them try..."
The site may load balance with more than one webserver and one of the
servers (possibly the secondary one) uses SSL on a non-standard port. To me
it would be silly to do that with the SSL,...but any non-sense is possible
when "web developers" are concerned.

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com