Word 2003 document blinking in taskbar when opening with IE7

LAUER Edouard

Word 2003 document blinking in taskbar when opening with IE7
Hello,

we've following configuration: Windows XP SP2 with latest updates, IE7 with
latest updates and Office 2003 with latest updates.

Since we installed Internet Explorer 7 we've following problem (please note
that browse in same window is deactivated in Windows Explorer - Folder
Options for filetype .doc):
Open an Internet Explorer Window and use google, then type: "filetype:doc
url:www.cssf.lu" as search argument.
Now open the 1st Word document listed in Internet Explorer 7. It should be
opened in a new winword instance.
Now in the Internet Explorer window click on the second word document listed.
Instead of coming up the taskbar blinks and only if you click on the
blinking item the
2nd Word document opens.
It seems to us that this is a bug since this was not the case in Internet
Explorer 6.

Can someone comment this?

Regards,
-- Edi
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Word 2003 document blinking in taskbar when opening with IE7
"LAUER Edouard" <LAUEREdouard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> we've following configuration: Windows XP SP2 with latest updates, IE7 with
> latest updates and Office 2003 with latest updates.
>
> Since we installed Internet Explorer 7 we've following problem (please note
> that browse in same window is deactivated in Windows Explorer - Folder
> Options for filetype .doc):
> Open an Internet Explorer Window and use google, then type: "filetype:doc
> url:www.cssf.lu" as search argument.
> Now open the 1st Word document listed in Internet Explorer 7. It should be
> opened in a new winword instance.
> Now in the Internet Explorer window click on the second word document listed.

> Instead of coming up the taskbar blinks and only if you click on the
> blinking item the
> 2nd Word document opens.
> It seems to us that this is a bug since this was not the case in Internet
> Explorer 6.

What was "the case in Internet Explorer 6"? ; )

> Can someone comment this?

Are you using TweakUI's fix for focus stealing?
What you are seeing could be a symptom of using its
"Flash taskbar button until I click on it."

---

LAUER Edouard

Re: Word 2003 document blinking in taskbar when opening with IE7
Hello,

I mean that with Internet Explorer 6 the behaviour was as expected i.e
Clicking on the 1st Word document in Internet Explorer 6 brought up an
Winword instance with the 1st document, clicking on the 2nd Word document in
Internet Explorer 6 brought up a 2nd instance with the 2nd document.

Now with Internet Explorer 7 the word icon in taskbar keeps flashing and
only when clicking on it the 2nd document is coming up. It seems that the 2nd
Word document stays behind the 1st one in the taskbar and that's why it keeps
flashing until being clicked.

We've newer installed TweakUi and I've also tested changing registry setting
HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ForegroundLockTimeout but with no results.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "LAUER Edouard" <LAUEREdouard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > we've following configuration: Windows XP SP2 with latest updates, IE7 with
> > latest updates and Office 2003 with latest updates.
> >
> > Since we installed Internet Explorer 7 we've following problem (please note
> > that browse in same window is deactivated in Windows Explorer - Folder
> > Options for filetype .doc):
> > Open an Internet Explorer Window and use google, then type: "filetype:doc
> > url:www.cssf.lu" as search argument.
> > Now open the 1st Word document listed in Internet Explorer 7. It should be
> > opened in a new winword instance.
> > Now in the Internet Explorer window click on the second word document listed.

> > Instead of coming up the taskbar blinks and only if you click on the
> > blinking item the
> > 2nd Word document opens.
> > It seems to us that this is a bug since this was not the case in Internet
> > Explorer 6.

> What was "the case in Internet Explorer 6"? ; )
>

> > Can someone comment this?

> Are you using TweakUI's fix for focus stealing?
> What you are seeing could be a symptom of using its
> "Flash taskbar button until I click on it."
>

> ---

LAUER Edouard

Re: BUG: Word 2003 document blinking in taskbar when opening with IE7
Hello,

I've resolved this phenomena and it's due to guess what: A Microsoft update
that we've received from our WSUS Server. After deinstalling this update we
could again open in Internet Explorer 2 separate Word documents without the
taskbar flashing orange.
The update implied is: Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003
(KB954464)
I've tried to called Microsoft support in Belgium about that problem but the
guy was not really pleased about me calling Microsoft support and said I
should look at the newsgroup or pay technical assistance for this problem. He
said that in a not very friendly tone.
What makes me a little sad is that a feature changed without Microsoft
giving any clear details about what they changed with that update and I've
lost 3 days at work for finding out what was making the problem....so no
comment...but Microsoft should test security updates more toroughly....

-- Edi

"LAUER Edouard" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I mean that with Internet Explorer 6 the behaviour was as expected i.e
> Clicking on the 1st Word document in Internet Explorer 6 brought up an
> Winword instance with the 1st document, clicking on the 2nd Word document in
> Internet Explorer 6 brought up a 2nd instance with the 2nd document.
>
> Now with Internet Explorer 7 the word icon in taskbar keeps flashing and
> only when clicking on it the 2nd document is coming up. It seems that the 2nd
> Word document stays behind the 1st one in the taskbar and that's why it keeps
> flashing until being clicked.
>
> We've newer installed TweakUi and I've also tested changing registry setting
> HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ForegroundLockTimeout but with no results.
>

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
> > "LAUER Edouard" <LAUEREdouard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > we've following configuration: Windows XP SP2 with latest updates, IE7 with
> > > latest updates and Office 2003 with latest updates.
> > >
> > > Since we installed Internet Explorer 7 we've following problem (please note
> > > that browse in same window is deactivated in Windows Explorer - Folder
> > > Options for filetype .doc):
> > > Open an Internet Explorer Window and use google, then type: "filetype:doc
> > > url:www.cssf.lu" as search argument.
> > > Now open the 1st Word document listed in Internet Explorer 7. It should be
> > > opened in a new winword instance.
> > > Now in the Internet Explorer window click on the second word document listed.

> > > Instead of coming up the taskbar blinks and only if you click on the
> > > blinking item the
> > > 2nd Word document opens.
> > > It seems to us that this is a bug since this was not the case in Internet
> > > Explorer 6.

> > What was "the case in Internet Explorer 6"? ; )
> >

> > > Can someone comment this?

> > Are you using TweakUI's fix for focus stealing?
> > What you are seeing could be a symptom of using its
> > "Flash taskbar button until I click on it."
> >

> > ---

Re: BUG: Word 2003 document blinking in taskbar when opening with IE7
> I've tried to called Microsoft support in Belgium about that problem but
> the
> guy was not really pleased about me calling Microsoft support and said I
> should look at the newsgroup or pay technical assistance for this problem.

Are you a "home user"?...

<QP>
How to obtain help and support for this security update

the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the Microsoft
International Support Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/common/....aspx?rdpath=4

<snip>

your usual support contacts.
</QP>
Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954464

I have KB954464 installed and I am not seeing the behavior you describe in
IE7/WinXP SP3. Perhaps you have a "horked" (bad) install of IE7, for
whatever reason?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

LAUER Edouard wrote:
> I've resolved this phenomena and it's due to guess what: A Microsoft
> update
> that we've received from our WSUS Server. After deinstalling this update
> we
> could again open in Internet Explorer 2 separate Word documents without
> the
> taskbar flashing orange.
> The update implied is: Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003
> (KB954464)
> I've tried to called Microsoft support in Belgium about that problem but
> the
> guy was not really pleased about me calling Microsoft support and said I
> should look at the newsgroup or pay technical assistance for this problem.
> He said that in a not very friendly tone.
> What makes me a little sad is that a feature changed without Microsoft
> giving any clear details about what they changed with that update and I've
> lost 3 days at work for finding out what was making the problem....so no
> comment...but Microsoft should test security updates more toroughly....
>
> -- Edi
>
> "LAUER Edouard" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I mean that with Internet Explorer 6 the behaviour was as expected i.e
>> Clicking on the 1st Word document in Internet Explorer 6 brought up an
>> Winword instance with the 1st document, clicking on the 2nd Word document
>> in Internet Explorer 6 brought up a 2nd instance with the 2nd document.
>>
>> Now with Internet Explorer 7 the word icon in taskbar keeps flashing and
>> only when clicking on it the 2nd document is coming up. It seems that the
>> 2nd Word document stays behind the 1st one in the taskbar and that's why
>> it keeps flashing until being clicked.
>>
>> We've newer installed TweakUi and I've also tested changing registry
>> setting HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ForegroundLockTimeout but with no
>> results.
>>

>> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>>
>>> "LAUER Edouard" <LAUEREdouard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message

>>> What was "the case in Internet Explorer 6"? ; )

>>> Are you using TweakUI's fix for focus stealing?
>>> What you are seeing could be a symptom of using its
>>> "Flash taskbar button until I click on it."
>>>

>>> ---

LAUER Edouard

Re: BUG: Word 2003 document blinking in taskbar when opening with
Hello,

we're corporate user and I'm the IT System Administrator of about 250 PC's
who have the same problem after KB954464 was installed.
It's strange that you don't have the same behaviour since I'm able to
reproduce the same problem at home after KB954464 was installed so for us
it's really the culprit and some bug (or feature) was introduced besides the
security update.
I've already seen the link for additional information on KB954464 but let me
say that it doesn't give any concise detail about the patch itself (besides
that it modifies winword.exe).

Regards,
LAUER Edouard

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > comment...but Microsoft should test security updates more toroughly....
> >
> > -- Edi
> >
> > "LAUER Edouard" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I mean that with Internet Explorer 6 the behaviour was as expected i.e
> >> Clicking on the 1st Word document in Internet Explorer 6 brought up an
> >> Winword instance with the 1st document, clicking on the 2nd Word document
> >> in Internet Explorer 6 brought up a 2nd instance with the 2nd document.
> >>
> >> Now with Internet Explorer 7 the word icon in taskbar keeps flashing and
> >> only when clicking on it the 2nd document is coming up. It seems that the
> >> 2nd Word document stays behind the 1st one in the taskbar and that's why
> >> it keeps flashing until being clicked.
> >>
> >> We've newer installed TweakUi and I've also tested changing registry
> >> setting HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ForegroundLockTimeout but with no

wordlordca@gmail.com

Re: BUG: Word 2003 document blinking in taskbar when opening with
Hi,
I'm the DBA of a site which uses MS Word document embedded in
Ineternet Explorer. Users are on IE6 experiencing this problem.
Our client base is around 200+ users on WinXP SP2

Our latest investigation shows that the likely cause of MS Word grey
window behavior is as a result of the recent MS Security patches.

In our case: If you verify your c:\winnt folder you will notice
KB953838.log dated August 16th 2008.
My only conclusion at this time is that Word has changed its behavior
as a result of this patch.
LAUER Edouard

Re: BUG: Word 2003 document blinking in taskbar when opening with
I'm using following command-line to uninstall KB954464 on over 250 PC's with
SMS 2003:

MsiExec.exe /package {90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE0150048383C9} /uninstall
"winword.msp" /qb

I'll put this evening 2 videos on my website demonstrating the strange
behaviour of KB954464. One will be without the patch and the other with the
"patch" or "bug" installed.

Regards,
LAUER Edouard

"LAUER Edouard" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've resolved this phenomena and it's due to guess what: A Microsoft update
> that we've received from our WSUS Server. After deinstalling this update we
> could again open in Internet Explorer 2 separate Word documents without the
> taskbar flashing orange.
> The update implied is: Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003
> (KB954464)
> I've tried to called Microsoft support in Belgium about that problem but the
> guy was not really pleased about me calling Microsoft support and said I
> should look at the newsgroup or pay technical assistance for this problem. He
> said that in a not very friendly tone.
> What makes me a little sad is that a feature changed without Microsoft
> giving any clear details about what they changed with that update and I've
> lost 3 days at work for finding out what was making the problem....so no
> comment...but Microsoft should test security updates more toroughly....
>
> -- Edi
>
> "LAUER Edouard" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I mean that with Internet Explorer 6 the behaviour was as expected i.e
> > Clicking on the 1st Word document in Internet Explorer 6 brought up an
> > Winword instance with the 1st document, clicking on the 2nd Word document in
> > Internet Explorer 6 brought up a 2nd instance with the 2nd document.
> >
> > Now with Internet Explorer 7 the word icon in taskbar keeps flashing and
> > only when clicking on it the 2nd document is coming up. It seems that the 2nd
> > Word document stays behind the 1st one in the taskbar and that's why it keeps
> > flashing until being clicked.
> >
> > We've newer installed TweakUi and I've also tested changing registry setting
> > HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ForegroundLockTimeout but with no results.
> >

> > "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
> >
> > > "LAUER Edouard" <LAUEREdouard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > What was "the case in Internet Explorer 6"? ; )

> > > Are you using TweakUI's fix for focus stealing?
> > > What you are seeing could be a symptom of using its
> > > "Flash taskbar button until I click on it."
> > >

> > > ---

LAUER Edouard

Re: BUG: Word 2003 document blinking in taskbar when opening with
Hi here are the videos to reproduce the problem: (Please note that I've the
following flags for Word.Document.8 in Registry "BrowserFlags:reg_dword:8"):

Behaviour when open 2 word documents in IE without KB954464
http://www.lauer.lu/videos/BehaviourWithoutKB954464.htm

Behaviour when opening 2 word documents in IE with KB954464
http://www.lauer.lu/videos/BehaviourWithKB954464.htm

Is someone from the Microsoft Word Team looking at this?

-- Edi

"LAUER Edouard" wrote:

> I'm using following command-line to uninstall KB954464 on over 250 PC's with
> SMS 2003:
>
> MsiExec.exe /package {90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE0150048383C9} /uninstall
> "winword.msp" /qb
>
> I'll put this evening 2 videos on my website demonstrating the strange
> behaviour of KB954464. One will be without the patch and the other with the
> "patch" or "bug" installed.
>
> Regards,
> LAUER Edouard
>
> "LAUER Edouard" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've resolved this phenomena and it's due to guess what: A Microsoft update
> > that we've received from our WSUS Server. After deinstalling this update we
> > could again open in Internet Explorer 2 separate Word documents without the
> > taskbar flashing orange.
> > The update implied is: Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003
> > (KB954464)
> > I've tried to called Microsoft support in Belgium about that problem but the
> > guy was not really pleased about me calling Microsoft support and said I
> > should look at the newsgroup or pay technical assistance for this problem. He
> > said that in a not very friendly tone.
> > What makes me a little sad is that a feature changed without Microsoft
> > giving any clear details about what they changed with that update and I've
> > lost 3 days at work for finding out what was making the problem....so no
> > comment...but Microsoft should test security updates more toroughly....
> >
> > -- Edi
> >
> > "LAUER Edouard" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I mean that with Internet Explorer 6 the behaviour was as expected i.e
> > > Clicking on the 1st Word document in Internet Explorer 6 brought up an
> > > Winword instance with the 1st document, clicking on the 2nd Word document in
> > > Internet Explorer 6 brought up a 2nd instance with the 2nd document.
> > >
> > > Now with Internet Explorer 7 the word icon in taskbar keeps flashing and
> > > only when clicking on it the 2nd document is coming up. It seems that the 2nd
> > > Word document stays behind the 1st one in the taskbar and that's why it keeps
> > > flashing until being clicked.
> > >
> > > We've newer installed TweakUi and I've also tested changing registry setting
> > > HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ForegroundLockTimeout but with no results.

Re: BUG: Word 2003 document blinking in taskbar when opening with
<QP>
How to obtain help and support for this security update

the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the Microsoft
International Support Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/common/....aspx?rdpath=4

North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited
no-charge e-mail support or to unlimited individual chat support by visiting
the following Microsoft Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?&prid=7552