Removing Java

BobJam

Removing Java
I've removed Java (via Revo and then JavaRa just to make sure), and with the
exception of trying to run the Secunia on line scan for checking software
security updates, I won't miss it. Browsing is fine without it, and the
removal enhanced my performance anyway.

But I was just thinking. Do those on line virus scanners (Housecall,
Kaspersky, and such) require Java?? It's been a while since I used one and
I can't remember.

BJ

Re: Removing Java
Most of them, yes.

BobJam wrote:
> I've removed Java (via Revo and then JavaRa just to make sure), and with
> the
> exception of trying to run the Secunia on line scan for checking software
> security updates, I won't miss it. Browsing is fine without it, and the
> removal enhanced my performance anyway.
>
> But I was just thinking. Do those on line virus scanners (Housecall,
> Kaspersky, and such) require Java?? It's been a while since I used one
> and
> I can't remember.
>
> BJ

BobJam

Re: Removing Java
So, if I have to use one (and I hope I don't, though it's wise to do them
now and then just as a backup check on your regular antivirus), can I just
install Java for that then and then uninstall it. I hate to have Java on my
machine permanently just for an infrequent on line virus scan. In fact, to
me, that's not enough justification to have Java permanently on your
machine.

And as far as uninstalling goes, I use JavaRa and RevoUninstaller to dig out
all the remnants of Java in the registry, so I'm pretty confident of just
installing for the moment and then uninstalling. I say this because Java is
notorious for leaving registry remnants. A lot of users get a "JRE failed"
warning because they didn't completely remove prior versions.

And you said "most of them". So is there one you know of that DOESN'T use
Java??

This really isn't urgent, I'm mostly just curious.

BJ

> Most of them, yes.
>
> BobJam wrote:
>> I've removed Java (via Revo and then JavaRa just to make sure), and with
>> the
>> exception of trying to run the Secunia on line scan for checking software
>> security updates, I won't miss it. Browsing is fine without it, and the
>> removal enhanced my performance anyway.
>>
>> But I was just thinking. Do those on line virus scanners (Housecall,
>> Kaspersky, and such) require Java?? It's been a while since I used one
>> and
>> I can't remember.
>>
>> BJ

Kayman

Re: Removing Java
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 10:13:51 -0700, BobJam wrote:

> I've removed Java (via Revo and then JavaRa just to make sure), and with the
> exception of trying to run the Secunia on line scan for checking software
> security updates, I won't miss it. Browsing is fine without it, and the
> removal enhanced my performance anyway.
> But I was just thinking. Do those on line virus scanners (Housecall,
> Kaspersky, and such) require Java?? It's been a while since I used one and
> I can't remember.

On-line scanners are the most unsafe and next to useless. Because by the
time you've started your infected Windows and connected to the
Internet via this infected code base, and start to look for scanning sites
through infected DNS, you are almost certain to have the malware
perfectly positioned to overrule your attempts to clean it.
What happens if active malware is found? Don't expect that the on-line
scanner will do anything about it. Most of them are just just marketing
tools for selling you their products. Quite often, malware removal on the
NT based OS (Win 2K and XP) is far from easy. Sometimes a (good) resident
AV can deal with it in Safe Mode.

David H. Lipman's Multi-AV is *better and safer*, because you don't have to
be on-line to use it (it has no dependencies on using a web browser or Java
to perform its function), and it can be used in Safe Mode.

Download David's MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL:
http://www.pctipp.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
English:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...irus-for-free/
When the menu is displayed hitting 'H' or 'h' will bring up a more
comprehensive PDF help file.
Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm

Other quality Standalone Malware Scanners are:
Kaspersky® AVPTool
http://avptool.virusinfo.info/en/
http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
and
Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
and
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware

Kaspersky® AVPTool, Dr.Web CureIt!® and Malwarebytes© are a standalone
malware scanners. They have no update feature (so it doesn't turn into a
full blown scanner), thus you need to download it every time there's an
update,

It's safer still if you can avoid running any code from the infected system
at all, and that can be done by working from Bart CDR boot.
But that means having a clean system to build the Bart disk, and more to
the point, a fair bit of effort and technical fiddling.

Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Good luck

Re: Removing Java
Sorry, I misspoke earlier: Most, if not all, of the online scans are now
ActiveX-based. HouseCall (EU) used to have a Java-based online scan but
it's no longer offered.
--
~PA Bear

BobJam wrote:
> So, if I have to use one (and I hope I don't, though it's wise to do them
> now and then just as a backup check on your regular antivirus), can I just
> install Java for that then and then uninstall it. I hate to have Java on
> my
> machine permanently just for an infrequent on line virus scan. In fact,
> me, that's not enough justification to have Java permanently on your
> machine.
>
> And as far as uninstalling goes, I use JavaRa and RevoUninstaller to dig
> out
> all the remnants of Java in the registry, so I'm pretty confident of just
> installing for the moment and then uninstalling. I say this because Java
> is
> notorious for leaving registry remnants. A lot of users get a "JRE
> failed"
> warning because they didn't completely remove prior versions.
>
> And you said "most of them". So is there one you know of that DOESN'T use
> Java??
>
> This really isn't urgent, I'm mostly just curious.
>
> BJ

>> Most of them, yes.
>>
>> BobJam wrote:
>>> I've removed Java (via Revo and then JavaRa just to make sure), and with
>>> the
>>> exception of trying to run the Secunia on line scan for checking
>>> software
>>> security updates, I won't miss it. Browsing is fine without it, and the
>>> removal enhanced my performance anyway.
>>>
>>> But I was just thinking. Do those on line virus scanners (Housecall,
>>> Kaspersky, and such) require Java?? It's been a while since I used one
>>> and
>>> I can't remember.
>>>
>>> BJ

Re: Removing Java
Kayman wrote:
<snip>
> On-line scanners are the most unsafe and next to useless. Because by the
> time you've started your infected Windows and connected to the
> Internet via this infected code base, and start to look for scanning sites
> through infected DNS, you are almost certain to have the malware
> perfectly positioned to overrule your attempts to clean it...

This is OT but...

In what way are online scans unsafe?

Some online scans will remove some, but certainly not all, of what they
detect. Most of them offer a log of what was found that will indicate what
was removed (some prompt you to purchase their product before anything found
can be removed) and what wasn't. These logs can then be useful in removing
the other stuff manually.
--
~PA Bear

Leonard Grey

Re: Removing Java
Look out...Kayman has this 'crusade' against online scanners and rants
about them at every opportunity (one reason s/he is in my killfile). You
may have opened a can of worms.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Kayman wrote:
> <snip>
>> On-line scanners are the most unsafe and next to useless. Because by the
>> time you've started your infected Windows and connected to the
>> Internet via this infected code base, and start to look for scanning
>> sites
>> through infected DNS, you are almost certain to have the malware
>> perfectly positioned to overrule your attempts to clean it...

> This is OT but...
>
> In what way are online scans unsafe?
>
> Some online scans will remove some, but certainly not all, of what they
> detect. Most of them offer a log of what was found that will indicate
> what was removed (some prompt you to purchase their product before
> anything found can be removed) and what wasn't. These logs can then be
> useful in removing the other stuff manually.

Re: Removing Java
I have an Ignore option and a killfile.

Leonard Grey wrote:
> Look out...Kayman has this 'crusade' against online scanners and rants
> about them at every opportunity (one reason s/he is in my killfile). You
> may have opened a can of worms.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Kayman wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> On-line scanners are the most unsafe and next to useless. Because by the
>>> time you've started your infected Windows and connected to the
>>> Internet via this infected code base, and start to look for scanning
>>> sites
>>> through infected DNS, you are almost certain to have the malware
>>> perfectly positioned to overrule your attempts to clean it...

>> This is OT but...
>>
>> In what way are online scans unsafe?
>>
>> Some online scans will remove some, but certainly not all, of what they
>> detect. Most of them offer a log of what was found that will indicate
>> what was removed (some prompt you to purchase their product before
>> anything found can be removed) and what wasn't. These logs can then be
>> useful in removing the other stuff manually.

BobJam

Re: Removing Java
PA Bear,

So I guess I could try one to make sure, but as I understand what you're
saying, these on line scanners DON'T require Java. Since they're
ActiveX-based, can you run them in FF or does that take a FF add-on??

BJ

P.S. I saw Kayman's reply . . . definitely looks like he's "anti" on line
scan, but I agree with your reply . . . even if they don't remove malware,
at least they can identify malware and then the user may be able to get a
removal tool for it. They do have some use at the least.

> Sorry, I misspoke earlier: Most, if not all, of the online scans are now
> ActiveX-based. HouseCall (EU) used to have a Java-based online scan but
> it's no longer offered.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> BobJam wrote:
>> So, if I have to use one (and I hope I don't, though it's wise to do them
>> now and then just as a backup check on your regular antivirus), can I
>> just
>> install Java for that then and then uninstall it. I hate to have Java on
>> my
>> machine permanently just for an infrequent on line virus scan. In fact,
>> me, that's not enough justification to have Java permanently on your
>> machine.
>>
>> And as far as uninstalling goes, I use JavaRa and RevoUninstaller to dig
>> out
>> all the remnants of Java in the registry, so I'm pretty confident of just
>> installing for the moment and then uninstalling. I say this because Java
>> is
>> notorious for leaving registry remnants. A lot of users get a "JRE
>> failed"
>> warning because they didn't completely remove prior versions.
>>
>> And you said "most of them". So is there one you know of that DOESN'T
>> use
>> Java??
>>
>> This really isn't urgent, I'm mostly just curious.
>>
>> BJ

>>> Most of them, yes.

Re: Removing Java
ActiveX Controls do not run natively in FF and most other browsers, Bob.
Installing the IE Plugin might be necessary.