Support/Upgrades for older browsers

HarryWx

Support/Upgrades for older browsers
Microsoft NEEDS to start releasing upgrades for the older browsers such as IE
6 etc. I do not understand why this company refuses to do so either
considering Firefox etc can and does it.
This is causing massive issues with a good number of websites. Which yes i
happen to own a couple. A number of which now wont even support IE period
because of this debacle.

Thus i would find a way to make it so those stuck on ie 6 or whatever can
move on up with the rest of the world to ie 8. We ALL know it can be done or
would you all rather PO the rest of the world as you guys seem to be doing a
fine job of already?

Time to fix this once and for all.

Thanks...

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

N. Miller

Re: Support/Upgrades for older browsers
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 01:35:07 -0700, HarryWx wrote:

> Microsoft NEEDS to start releasing upgrades for the older browsers such as IE
> 6 etc. I do not understand why this company refuses to do so either
> considering Firefox etc can and does it.

Actually, Mozilla (publisher of Firefox) ends support of its older products
at some point, too:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

I don't remember the last of the Fx v.1.0.0.x series, or when Mozilla
stopped support.

> This is causing massive issues with a good number of websites. Which yes i
> happen to own a couple. A number of which now wont even support IE period
> because of this debacle.

MSIE still commands a respectable lead in the browser market. I doubt if web
site support for it will end any time soon. OTOH, I just upgraded one
Windows Me computer to Windows XP, and will likely upgrade another, soon.
When I did that, I also installed MSIE 7 (not that I use it for anything
other than Windows Updates).

While Windows 9x can't run anything higher than MSIE 6, support for those
OSes stopped years ago. MSFT stopped selling Windows XP on June 30, 2008;
and support is only slated until 2014.

> Thus i would find a way to make it so those stuck on ie 6 or whatever can
> move on up with the rest of the world to ie 8. We ALL know it can be done or
> would you all rather PO the rest of the world as you guys seem to be doing a
> fine job of already?
>
> Time to fix this once and for all.

MSFT has engineered MSIE into the operating system. When older OSes are out
of support, the browser support ends with it. That is just the way MSFT
operates. Don't like it? Get Linux.

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,
Kayman

Re: Support/Upgrades for older browsers
On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 01:35:07 -0700, HarryWx wrote:

> Microsoft NEEDS to start releasing upgrades for the older browsers such as IE
> 6 etc.

<snip>
From a security point of view, you should've moved to IE7 a long time ago
or use an alternative browser :-)
rob^_^

Re: Support/Upgrades for older browsers
Here here!

"Kayman" <kaymanDeleteThis@operamail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 01:35:07 -0700, HarryWx wrote:
>
>> Microsoft NEEDS to start releasing upgrades for the older browsers such
>> as IE
>> 6 etc.

> <snip>
> From a security point of view, you should've moved to IE7 a long time ago
> or use an alternative browser :-)

Re: Support/Upgrades for older browsers
One assumes you're referring to Win2K and older.

IE is part and parcel of the Windows OS (just ask the EU about it). When
support for the OS ends, support for IE running in the OS ends (e.g., IE6
running in Win98SE).

IE5.5 is still supported in some versions of Win2K. and IE6 is still
supported in Win2K SP4, WinXP SP2/SP3, and Win2003. The bimonthly
Cumulative Security Updates apply to these three versions of IE and most of
them include Hotfix Rollups.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/