IE7 Suddenly keeps crashing pretty quickly

Ronald Dodge

IE7 Suddenly keeps crashing pretty quickly
I don't need the usual speil about how to check for spyware and viruses via
the manage add-ins or using spyware/anti-virus programs as I know all about
those things and I do check for them. I even go so far as to check for them
within the process files, but the problem with checking within process
files, when it's within IE, they aren't listed as a separate process file.
Manage Add-Ons within IE doesn't seem to list every single hook either as I
would rather have something that list every single hook like what I have
been able to do with SpyBot [in advanced mode] for listing any program that
starts up when the system starts up and/or when the user logs onto the
computer. I am not your average computer user that hardly knows anything
about computers and the workings of computers as I am a programmer myself.
I therefore want to have a list that list every single hook into IE, so as I
can see about getting IE7 working again.

At this point of time, my only real alternative is FF (Formerly Netscape) by
Mozilla.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE7 Suddenly keeps crashing pretty quickly
"Ronald Dodge" <dodgester@roadrunner.com> wrote in message
>I don't need the usual speil about how to check for spyware and viruses via
> the manage add-ins or using spyware/anti-virus programs as I know all about
> those things and I do check for them. I even go so far as to check for them
> within the process files, but the problem with checking within process
> files, when it's within IE, they aren't listed as a separate process file.

You should be able to get a Stack Back Trace with Symbols at least? ; )

> Manage Add-Ons within IE doesn't seem to list every single hook either as I
> would rather have something that list every single hook like what I have
> been able to do with SpyBot [in advanced mode] for listing any program that
> starts up when the system starts up and/or when the user logs onto the
> computer.

There is also KB884931. ; )

> I am not your average computer user that hardly knows anything
> about computers and the workings of computers as I am a programmer myself.
> I therefore want to have a list that list every single hook into IE, so as I
> can see about getting IE7 working again.

Then there's Dependency Walker's Profiling feature
and ProcMon's tracing of file and registry accesses.

> At this point of time, my only real alternative is FF (Formerly Netscape) by
> Mozilla.

Have fun. ; }

---

Re: IE7 Suddenly keeps crashing pretty quickly
Anti-spyware apps and online scans do NOT detect everything.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Ronald Dodge wrote:
> I don't need the usual speil about how to check for spyware and viruses
> via
> the manage add-ins or using spyware/anti-virus programs as I know all
> about
> those things and I do check for them. I even go so far as to check for
> them
> within the process files, but the problem with checking within process
> files, when it's within IE, they aren't listed as a separate process file.
> Manage Add-Ons within IE doesn't seem to list every single hook either as
> would rather have something that list every single hook like what I have
> been able to do with SpyBot [in advanced mode] for listing any program
> that
> starts up when the system starts up and/or when the user logs onto the
> computer. I am not your average computer user that hardly knows anything
> about computers and the workings of computers as I am a programmer myself.
> I therefore want to have a list that list every single hook into IE, so as
> can see about getting IE7 working again.
>
> At this point of time, my only real alternative is FF (Formerly Netscape)
> by
> Mozilla.

Ronald R. Dodge, Jr.

Re: IE7 Suddenly keeps crashing pretty quickly
As far as I can tell, you are just using a speil as your reponse. As I have
stated, I am not your average computer user as I know what can happen as
well as I know how hard things can be to get rid of. What I want is a more
direct tool that I can use myself to catch these things, which one of MS's
problems has been, things are so scattered that there is no real good
organization. Just look at the registry file alone to see where all you
have to go just to locate anything within it to indicate what files are
started up when the system is started up. Spybot S&D has resolved that
problem indirectly by listing all such start up in one central location. I
want more or less the same thing for when IE is started up, which managing
Add-On doesn't seem to list them all. Of course, I suspect many of these
hiddens are also within the registry file.

Why should I have to use something to ultimately be paying someone else
large amount of money to fix the issue. Things has gotten to be so bad with
MS products in recent years that it's gotten to the point that I've started
to move away from MS products including getting more involved with the
Fedora projects.

--
Thanks,

Ronald R. Dodge, Jr.
Production Statistician
Master MOUS 2000
> Anti-spyware apps and online scans do NOT detect everything.

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
> log to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
> (in conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix
> anything on its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review
> by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>
> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Ronald Dodge wrote:
>> I don't need the usual speil about how to check for spyware and viruses
>> via
>> the manage add-ins or using spyware/anti-virus programs as I know all
>> about
>> those things and I do check for them. I even go so far as to check for
>> them
>> within the process files, but the problem with checking within process
>> files, when it's within IE, they aren't listed as a separate process
>> file.
>> Manage Add-Ons within IE doesn't seem to list every single hook either as
>> would rather have something that list every single hook like what I have
>> been able to do with SpyBot [in advanced mode] for listing any program
>> that
>> starts up when the system starts up and/or when the user logs onto the
>> computer. I am not your average computer user that hardly knows anything
>> about computers and the workings of computers as I am a programmer
>> myself.
>> I therefore want to have a list that list every single hook into IE, so
>> as I
>> can see about getting IE7 working again.
>>
>> At this point of time, my only real alternative is FF (Formerly Netscape)
>> by
>> Mozilla.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 Suddenly keeps crashing pretty quickly
"I am not your average computer user..."

But with a little work you could reach that level.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Ronald R. Dodge, Jr. wrote:
> As far as I can tell, you are just using a speil as your reponse. As I have
> stated, I am not your average computer user as I know what can happen as
> well as I know how hard things can be to get rid of. What I want is a more
> direct tool that I can use myself to catch these things, which one of MS's
> problems has been, things are so scattered that there is no real good
> organization. Just look at the registry file alone to see where all you
> have to go just to locate anything within it to indicate what files are
> started up when the system is started up. Spybot S&D has resolved that
> problem indirectly by listing all such start up in one central location. I
> want more or less the same thing for when IE is started up, which managing
> Add-On doesn't seem to list them all. Of course, I suspect many of these
> hiddens are also within the registry file.
>
> Why should I have to use something to ultimately be paying someone else
> large amount of money to fix the issue. Things has gotten to be so bad with
> MS products in recent years that it's gotten to the point that I've started
> to move away from MS products including getting more involved with the
> Fedora projects.

Re: IE7 Suddenly keeps crashing pretty quickly
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please. (Of course, as an expert you knew that
already, didn't you, and it must have skipped your mind.)

Repost:
> Anti-spyware apps and online scans do NOT detect everything.

Sometimes you've gotta do hands-on digging and rip 'em out by their roots.

I'd cite some KB articles but I'm sure you're aware of them. Good luck.

Ronald R. Dodge, Jr. wrote:
> [...]
>>> file.
>>> Manage Add-Ons within IE doesn't seem to list every single hook either
>>> as
>>> would rather have something that list every single hook like what I have
>>> been able to do with SpyBot [in advanced mode] for listing any program
>>> that
>>> starts up when the system starts up and/or when the user logs onto the
>>> computer. I am not your average computer user that hardly knows
>>> anything
>>> about computers and the workings of computers as I am a programmer
>>> myself.
>>> I therefore want to have a list that list every single hook into IE, so
>>> as I
>>> can see about getting IE7 working again.
>>>
>>> At this point of time, my only real alternative is FF (Formerly
>>> by
>>> Mozilla.

Re: IE7 Suddenly keeps crashing pretty quickly
Screenwipe, please.

Leonard Grey wrote:
> "I am not your average computer user..."
>
> But with a little work you could reach that level.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Ronald R. Dodge, Jr. wrote:
>> As far as I can tell, you are just using a speil as your reponse. As I
>> have stated, I am not your average computer user as I know what can
>> happen
>> as well as I know how hard things can be to get rid of. What I want is a
>> more direct tool that I can use myself to catch these things, which one
>> of
>> MS's problems has been, things are so scattered that there is no real
>> good
>> organization. Just look at the registry file alone to see where all you
>> have to go just to locate anything within it to indicate what files are
>> started up when the system is started up. Spybot S&D has resolved that
>> problem indirectly by listing all such start up in one central location.
>> want more or less the same thing for when IE is started up, which
>> managing
>> Add-On doesn't seem to list them all. Of course, I suspect many of these
>> hiddens are also within the registry file.
>>
>> Why should I have to use something to ultimately be paying someone else
>> large amount of money to fix the issue. Things has gotten to be so bad
>> with MS products in recent years that it's gotten to the point that I've
>> started to move away from MS products including getting more involved
>> with
>> the Fedora projects.

Ronald Dodge

Re: IE7 Suddenly keeps crashing pretty quickly
Yes, some digging at times is required, but helpful tools to know of *ALL*
hooks into IE would also be helpful. Yes, it is true no spyware/anti-virus
program is going to catch everything, which as a programmer, that would be
impractical to ask. On the other hand, knowing what all has hooks into a
particular program is not something too big to ask for. Here's the reason
why I say it's not too big to ask for. A computer has to know what all get
started up, and they must be told where to go to find out what all are
started up. Given these 2 things, I don't feel there should be any big deal
of knowing at least that much.

It's just when people use speils only to respond, it's essentially like
saying they are a level 1 tech that only handles common issues, and when it
gets to be more challenging, they just pass it off to someone else that is
more knowledgable in the area like a level 2 tech.

As for what OS version, it's the following:

WinXP Home Edition, SP3

It's already bad enough I have to spend several hours at work just to have
ends met financially. I don't want to have to spend several hours at home
either just to fix a single issue, and things has only been getting worse as
time progresses with MS products. It's like things has went down hill since
about 2000 with MS products.

It's one thing to have scheduled maintenance on the PCs to keep them up to
date, but it's another when you can't even use the proper tools to help you
in solving the issues without having to take drastic measures.

>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
>>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm

>>> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
>>> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for
>>> review
>>> by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>>>
>>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>>> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
>>> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair
>>> shop.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Ronald Dodge

Re: IE7 Suddenly keeps crashing pretty quickly
Very funny. Looks like you attempting to make me out as if I know almost
nothing.