Re: IE 7 not working

Loochie

Re: IE 7 not working
Frank, I've tried all your suggestions to no avail.
I am having the same problem as mentioned by cummindl on the original post.
I have XP Pro. I too tried to install IE7 and it says it was successful but
when I tried to open IE7 it just flashes and does not open.

I tried to run with no add-ons... that didn't help.
Then I tried to reset IE via Internet Options.... that didn't help.

Is there maybe some way I can diagnose this problem? Some log file that
will tell me what the problem is? Or is there a way to insure a CLEAN
install of IE7?

Thanks!
Steve

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote:

> "colin" <colin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Please, please anybody
> > ive just bought a new pc with vista and connected it to broadband but ie7
> > will not open. u click on the ie icon and error "internet explorer has
> > stopped working"
> > if u do reset internet properties on the advanced tab it works but if u
> > close ie and open it again, u have to reset again to open it
> > can any 1 help !!!!

> I know of two causes for the vast majority of such problems:
> 1. Incompatible add-ons: What if you right click the IE icon on the desktop
> and choose Start Without Add-ons?
> Or go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> Explorer (No Add-ons).
>
> 2. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
> All MS-MVP Sites.
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
>
> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
> For quite a few people it's by installing Messenger Plus, whose ads for
> malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
> owe it to the author. See also:
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971
> Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and see
> what else is being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not sure
> of.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Answer in newsgroup. Don't expect an answer to email.

Re: IE 7 not working
When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for review

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Loochie wrote:
> Frank, I've tried all your suggestions to no avail.
> I am having the same problem as mentioned by cummindl on the original
> post.
> I have XP Pro. I too tried to install IE7 and it says it was successful
> but
> when I tried to open IE7 it just flashes and does not open.
>
> I tried to run with no add-ons... that didn't help.
> Then I tried to reset IE via Internet Options.... that didn't help.
>
> Is there maybe some way I can diagnose this problem? Some log file that
> will tell me what the problem is? Or is there a way to insure a CLEAN
> install of IE7?
>
> Thanks!
> Steve
>

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote:
>
>> "colin" <colin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Please, please anybody
>>> ive just bought a new pc with vista and connected it to broadband but
>>> ie7
>>> will not open. u click on the ie icon and error "internet explorer has
>>> stopped working"
>>> if u do reset internet properties on the advanced tab it works but if u
>>> close ie and open it again, u have to reset again to open it
>>> can any 1 help !!!!

>> I know of two causes for the vast majority of such problems:
>> 1. Incompatible add-ons: What if you right click the IE icon on the
>> desktop and choose Start Without Add-ons?
>> Or go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>> Explorer (No Add-ons).
>>
>> 2. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
>> All MS-MVP Sites.
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
>>
>> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>>
>> So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
>> For quite a few people it's by installing Messenger Plus, whose ads for
>> malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that
>> you
>> owe it to the author. See also:
>> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971
>> Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and
>> see what else is being carried along. Don't install any extras you're
>> not
>> sure of.
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
>> http://www.fjsmjs.com
>> Answer in newsgroup. Don't expect an answer to email.

Re: IE 7 not working
Please cite a link to the forum where you've posted your HijackThis log for
review.

Loochie wrote:
> Thank you for that Bear.
> Unfortunately, I'm still not able to find the problem.
>
> Basically, IE7 just flashes on the screen when I try to open it then
> nothing happens- no matter how many times I try. I've tried to run with
> no add-ons and also as Administrator but nothing works.
>
> I've uninstalled it and ran IE6 and all was fine. Then I re-installed
> IE7 again but have the same problem with it not opening.
>
> Does anyone have any other ideas or even other resources I could check?
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
>> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
>> (in conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix
>> anything on its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove
>> any hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log
>> to http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
>> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for
>> review by an expert in such matters, not here.**

Loochie

Re: IE 7 not working
Thanks Bear... I posted on aumha.net
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=35840&start=0

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> Please cite a link to the forum where you've posted your HijackThis log
> for review.
>
> Loochie wrote:
>> Thank you for that Bear.
>> Unfortunately, I'm still not able to find the problem.
>>
>> Basically, IE7 just flashes on the screen when I try to open it then
>> nothing happens- no matter how many times I try. I've tried to run with
>> no add-ons and also as Administrator but nothing works.
>>
>> I've uninstalled it and ran IE6 and all was fine. Then I re-installed
>> IE7 again but have the same problem with it not opening.
>>
>> Does anyone have any other ideas or even other resources I could check?
>>
>> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>>> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
>>> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
>>> (in conjuction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix
>>> anything on its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove
>>> any hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log
>>> to http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30,
>>> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
>>> http://castlecops.com/forum67.html, or other appropriate forums for
>>> review by an expert in such matters, not here.**

Re: IE 7 not working
Thank you. I have a few comments & questions:

1. Please be advised that AumHa Forums has a limited number of experts to
handle those threads and that there are well over a dozen other threads
ahead of you. Also keep the holiday weekend in mind.

2. It doesn't look like you followed the instructions
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075 before posting your log. This
may cause our experts to ignore your post.

3. When did you first install AVG Free v8.0? Have you purchased Kaspersky
Internet Security or did you just download/install the 30-day free trial?
Were you running without an anti-virus application until just now?
--
~PA Bear

Loochie wrote:
> Thanks Bear... I posted on aumha.net
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=35840&start=0
>

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> Please cite a link to the forum where you've posted your HijackThis log
>> for review.
>>
>> Loochie wrote:
>>> Thank you for that Bear.
>>> Unfortunately, I'm still not able to find the problem.
>>>
>>> Basically, IE7 just flashes on the screen when I try to open it then
>>> nothing happens- no matter how many times I try. I've tried to run with
>>> no add-ons and also as Administrator but nothing works.
>>>
>>> I've uninstalled it and ran IE6 and all was fine. Then I re-installed
>>> IE7 again but have the same problem with it not opening.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any other ideas or even other resources I could check?

Loochie

Re: IE 7 not working
I purchased Kaspersky Internet Security long before having this problem
with IE7.