cannot display any web pages

Martmcd

cannot display any web pages
Xp media center sp2, connected to bt home hub.
IE7 claims the pc is not connected to the internet, cannot display page etc.
including the router GUI.

the router is definately connected to the internet, other computers are able
to surf without issue.

i have tried pinging the router - no problem
pinging googles ip address - no problem
pinging www.google.co.uk - no problem

tried resetting IE7 - no change

tried uninstalling IE7, i now have the same issue with IE6

any idea what might cause this and/or how to fix it?

thanks for your help.

Re: cannot display any web pages
How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer
[ignore APPLIES TO section if you're not running Vista or IE7]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Martmcd wrote:
> Xp media center sp2, connected to bt home hub.
> IE7 claims the pc is not connected to the internet, cannot display page
> etc.
> including the router GUI.
>
> the router is definately connected to the internet, other computers are
> able
> to surf without issue.
>
> i have tried pinging the router - no problem
> pinging googles ip address - no problem
> pinging www.google.co.uk - no problem
>
> tried resetting IE7 - no change
>
> tried uninstalling IE7, i now have the same issue with IE6
>
> any idea what might cause this and/or how to fix it?
>
> thanks for your help.

Martmcd

Re: cannot display any web pages
Thanks for the response.
unfortunately none of the steps mentioned have solved the problem (i had
already tried most of them)

incidentaly - windows automatic updates still happen and email manages to
connect to the mail server

i haven't tried a different browser yet, but it seems that it is only ie
that cannot get the internet

> How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer
> [ignore APPLIES TO section if you're not running Vista or IE7]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Martmcd wrote:
>> Xp media center sp2, connected to bt home hub.
>> IE7 claims the pc is not connected to the internet, cannot display page
>> etc.
>> including the router GUI.
>>
>> the router is definately connected to the internet, other computers are
>> able
>> to surf without issue.
>>
>> i have tried pinging the router - no problem
>> pinging googles ip address - no problem
>> pinging www.google.co.uk - no problem
>>
>> tried resetting IE7 - no change
>>
>> tried uninstalling IE7, i now have the same issue with IE6
>>
>> any idea what might cause this and/or how to fix it?
>>
>> thanks for your help.

Re: cannot display any web pages
Another possibility:

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB953838)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

**Vista: Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7
(KB953838)" via Control Panel | Security | Windows Update | View installed
updates and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered (i.e., KB953838). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

**Vista: Run Windows Update manually and install any Important updates
offered (i.e., KB953838). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.
--
~PA Bear

Martmcd wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
> unfortunately none of the steps mentioned have solved the problem (i had
> already tried most of them)
>
> incidentaly - windows automatic updates still happen and email manages to
> connect to the mail server
>
> i haven't tried a different browser yet, but it seems that it is only ie
> that cannot get the internet

>> How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer
>> [ignore APPLIES TO section if you're not running Vista or IE7]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Martmcd wrote:
>>> Xp media center sp2, connected to bt home hub.
>>> IE7 claims the pc is not connected to the internet, cannot display page
>>> etc.
>>> including the router GUI.
>>>
>>> the router is definately connected to the internet, other computers are
>>> able
>>> to surf without issue.
>>>
>>> i have tried pinging the router - no problem
>>> pinging googles ip address - no problem
>>> pinging www.google.co.uk - no problem
>>>
>>> tried resetting IE7 - no change
>>>
>>> tried uninstalling IE7, i now have the same issue with IE6
>>>
>>> any idea what might cause this and/or how to fix it?
>>>
>>> thanks for your help.

Martmcd

Re: cannot display any web pages
I have been playing with this all day.
I have already uninstalled ie 7 and all its updates and tried ie6 and
firefox

it seems to be error 12029 on http, https and ftp.
DNS works fine

i have tried googling the error but have not found a fix.
any other suggestions?

thanks

> Another possibility:
>
> Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
> Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
>
> If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
> following:
>
> 1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
> real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
> Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
> guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
> Windows Firewall.
>
> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online
> (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your
> anti-virus application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free
> firewall, you may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.
>
> 2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB953838)"
> via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top
> right) and reboot.
>
> **Vista: Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7
> (KB953838)" via Control Panel | Security | Windows Update | View installed
> updates and reboot.
>
> 3. Re-do #1 above.
>
> 4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical
> Updates offered (i.e., KB953838). If a Root Certificates update is
> listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage
> of IE7's enhanced security.
>
> **Vista: Run Windows Update manually and install any Important updates
> offered (i.e., KB953838). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
> Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
> enhanced security.
>
> 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
> applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
> third-party firewall.
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Martmcd wrote:
>> Thanks for the response.
>> unfortunately none of the steps mentioned have solved the problem (i had
>> already tried most of them)
>>
>> incidentaly - windows automatic updates still happen and email manages to
>> connect to the mail server
>>
>> i haven't tried a different browser yet, but it seems that it is only ie
>> that cannot get the internet

>>> How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer
>>> [ignore APPLIES TO section if you're not running Vista or IE7]
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net