IE7 XP Tabs Disabled

Rick

IE7 XP Tabs Disabled
The tabs had been working fine then I upgraded to SP3. Lost the tabs after
upgrade. Read some of the common problems others have had. I uninstalled
SP3, uninstalled IE7, then reinstalled IE7, still no tabs. Started IE
without Ad-ons, no difference. There is a lot of talk about gpedit.msc, this
file is not on the Home Edition of XP. I using and have been using SpyBot
Search and Destory, Antivir, and Zonealarm. The OS is XP SP2 Home Edition,
IE 7.0.5730.13.
Any Ideas????
Thanks in advance.

Re: IE7 XP Tabs Disabled

If AntiVir and ZA were both running in the background when you (1) installed
SP3, (2) uninstall SP3, (3) uninstalled IE7, and/or (4) reinstalled IE7,
that may have caused the problem.

That being said, you may just have yet another horked (dirty; bad; flawed)
install of IE7. I suggest that you...

1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
Programs!]

2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds).

2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.

3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10 &
#11; take note of #12, then STOP!

NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the

Or Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
Optional category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of
IE7's additional security.

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Rick wrote:
> The tabs had been working fine then I upgraded to SP3. Lost the tabs
> after
> upgrade. Read some of the common problems others have had. I uninstalled
> SP3, uninstalled IE7, then reinstalled IE7, still no tabs. Started IE
> without Ad-ons, no difference. There is a lot of talk about gpedit.msc,
> this file is not on the Home Edition of XP. I using and have been using
> SpyBot Search and Destory, Antivir, and Zonealarm. The OS is XP SP2 Home
> Edition, IE 7.0.5730.13.
> Any Ideas????
> Thanks in advance.

Rick

Re: IE7 XP Tabs Disabled
Thanks for the info.

I checked the XP and it is at SP3 right now and I tried to uninstall it
through the Control Panel, Add Remove programs and got this error, 'An error
occurred while trying to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3. It may have
already been uninstalled. Would you like to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3
from the Add or Remove programs list? Yes/No' I select No at this time. I
did a restore, back to the oldest restore available, and this is what I have
at this time. Should I try a different restore or is there a fix for this
situation?
Thanks for your time.
Rick

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>
> If AntiVir and ZA were both running in the background when you (1) installed
> SP3, (2) uninstall SP3, (3) uninstalled IE7, and/or (4) reinstalled IE7,
> that may have caused the problem.
>
> That being said, you may just have yet another horked (dirty; bad; flawed)
> install of IE7. I suggest that you...
>
> 1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
> %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
> Programs!]
>
> 2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
> Blinds).
>
> 2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.
>
> 3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10 &
> #11; take note of #12, then STOP!
>
> NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the
> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update.
>
> Or Direct Download link:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b
>
> Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.
>
> 4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
> critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
> Optional category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of
> IE7's additional security.
>
> Also see:
>
> IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
>
> IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Rick wrote:
> > The tabs had been working fine then I upgraded to SP3. Lost the tabs
> > after
> > upgrade. Read some of the common problems others have had. I uninstalled
> > SP3, uninstalled IE7, then reinstalled IE7, still no tabs. Started IE
> > without Ad-ons, no difference. There is a lot of talk about gpedit.msc,
> > this file is not on the Home Edition of XP. I using and have been using
> > SpyBot Search and Destory, Antivir, and Zonealarm. The OS is XP SP2 Home
> > Edition, IE 7.0.5730.13.
> > Any Ideas????
> > Thanks in advance.

Re: IE7 XP Tabs Disabled
> I checked the XP and it is at SP3 right now

1. In your previous reply, you'd said that you'd already uninstalled WinXP
SP3 and you were running WinXP SP2 now. Had you reinstalled SP3 after
making your first post? (Just asking for clarification here.)

> ...I did a restore, back to the oldest restore available, and this is what
> have at this time.

2. Start | Run | (type in) winver | OK => Does the result include "Service
Pack 3" or "Service Pack 2"?

3. Is WinXP SP3 still listed in Add/Remove Programs?
--
~PA Bear

Rick wrote:
> [...]
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
>>
>> IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

>> Rick wrote:
>>> The tabs had been working fine then I upgraded to SP3. Lost the tabs
>>> after
>>> upgrade. Read some of the common problems others have had. I
>>> uninstalled
>>> SP3, uninstalled IE7, then reinstalled IE7, still no tabs. Started IE
>>> without Ad-ons, no difference. There is a lot of talk about gpedit.msc,
>>> this file is not on the Home Edition of XP. I using and have been using
>>> SpyBot Search and Destory, Antivir, and Zonealarm. The OS is XP SP2

Rick

Re: IE7 XP Tabs Disabled
I went to the oldest restore I have and it has SP3 in it. I checked the
winver and it is SP3. Like I wrote earlier, the icon for SP3 is in the
Add/Remove programs but is not working.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> >> &
> >> #11; take note of #12, then STOP!
> >>
> >> NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the
> >> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update.
> >>
> >> Or Direct Download link:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b
> >>
> >> Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.
> >>
> >> 4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
> >> critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in
> >> the
> >> Optional category, you might install it, too, to take full advantage of
> >> IE7's additional security.
> >>
> >> Also see:
> >>
> >> IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
> >>
> >> IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3

Re: IE7 XP Tabs Disabled
[Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]

>> I using and have been using
>> SpyBot Search and Destory, Antivir, and Zonealarm.

I suspect that having AntiVir and/or ZA and/or Spybot Tea Timer enabled and
running in the background when you installed SP3 was the cause of all this.

I'll have to refer you to MS Support at this point, Rick:

Let us know how you make out, please. (I wouldn't be surprised if they
recommended doing a clean install, so prepare yourself for the news.)

Rick wrote:
> I went to the oldest restore I have and it has SP3 in it. I checked the
> winver and it is SP3. Like I wrote earlier, the icon for SP3 is in the
> Add/Remove programs but is not working.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> I checked the XP and it is at SP3 right now

>> 1. In your previous reply, you'd said that you'd already uninstalled
>> WinXP
>> SP3 and you were running WinXP SP2 now. Had you reinstalled SP3 after
>> making your first post? (Just asking for clarification here.)
>>
>>> ...I did a restore, back to the oldest restore available, and this is
>>> what
>>> have at this time.

>> 2. Start | Run | (type in) winver | OK => Does the result include
>> "Service
>> Pack 3" or "Service Pack 2"?
>>
>> 3. Is WinXP SP3 still listed in Add/Remove Programs?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> Rick wrote:
>>> Thanks for the info.
>>>
>>> I checked the XP and it is at SP3 right now and I tried to uninstall it
>>> through the Control Panel, Add Remove programs and got this error, 'An
>>> error
>>> occurred while trying to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3. It may have
>>> already been uninstalled. Would you like to remove Windows XP Service
>>> Pack
>>> 3
>>> from the Add or Remove programs list? Yes/No' I select No at this
>>> time.
>>> did a restore, back to the oldest restore available, and this is what I
>>> have
>>> at this time. Should I try a different restore or is there a fix for
>>> this
>>> situation?
>>> Thanks for your time.
>>> Rick

Rick

Re: IE7 XP Tabs Disabled
PA,

Thanks for your help, but I'm not ready to do a clean install at this
time, just to much work. I can continue to use IE7 with disabled tabs. Its
just like using IE6, sort of.
If there is a solution that I can use in the future, let me know.

Thanks,
Rick

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]
>
> >> I using and have been using
> >> SpyBot Search and Destory, Antivir, and Zonealarm.

> I suspect that having AntiVir and/or ZA and/or Spybot Tea Timer enabled and
> running in the background when you installed SP3 was the cause of all this.
>
> I'll have to refer you to MS Support at this point, Rick:

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>
> Let us know how you make out, please. (I wouldn't be surprised if they
> recommended doing a clean install, so prepare yourself for the news.)
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> Rick wrote:
> > I went to the oldest restore I have and it has SP3 in it. I checked the
> > winver and it is SP3. Like I wrote earlier, the icon for SP3 is in the
> > Add/Remove programs but is not working.

> >> 1. In your previous reply, you'd said that you'd already uninstalled
> >> WinXP
> >> SP3 and you were running WinXP SP2 now. Had you reinstalled SP3 after
> >> making your first post? (Just asking for clarification here.)

> >> 2. Start | Run | (type in) winver | OK => Does the result include
> >> "Service
> >> Pack 3" or "Service Pack 2"?
> >>
> >> 3. Is WinXP SP3 still listed in Add/Remove Programs?
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Rick

Re: IE7 XP Tabs Disabled
PA,

I went into the registery and made two changes as follows:
Classicshell and Forceactivedesktopon were changed to zeroes in directory
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1382974452-3028682893-592893099-1005\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\Explorer
This worked as for getting the tabs to work again. Strange but true.

Thanks,
Rick

"Rick" wrote:

> PA,
>
> Thanks for your help, but I'm not ready to do a clean install at this
> time, just to much work. I can continue to use IE7 with disabled tabs. Its
> just like using IE6, sort of.
> If there is a solution that I can use in the future, let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]

> > I suspect that having AntiVir and/or ZA and/or Spybot Tea Timer enabled and
> > running in the background when you installed SP3 was the cause of all this.
> >
> > I'll have to refer you to MS Support at this point, Rick:
> >
> > Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> > Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> > e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> > http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> > XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> >
> > Let us know how you make out, please. (I wouldn't be surprised if they
> > recommended doing a clean install, so prepare yourself for the news.)
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >

> > Rick wrote:
> > > I went to the oldest restore I have and it has SP3 in it. I checked the
> > > winver and it is SP3. Like I wrote earlier, the icon for SP3 is in the
> > > Add/Remove programs but is not working.

Re: IE7 XP Tabs Disabled
What had changed them?

Rick wrote:
> PA,
>
> I went into the registery and made two changes as follows:
> Classicshell and Forceactivedesktopon were changed to zeroes in directory
> HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1382974452-3028682893-592893099-1005\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\Explorer
> This worked as for getting the tabs to work again. Strange but true.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick
>
> "Rick" wrote:
>
>> PA,
>>
>> Thanks for your help, but I'm not ready to do a clean install at this
>> time, just to much work. I can continue to use IE7 with disabled tabs.
>> Its just like using IE6, sort of.
>> If there is a solution that I can use in the future, let me know.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rick
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> [Crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]

>>> I suspect that having AntiVir and/or ZA and/or Spybot Tea Timer enabled
>>> and running in the background when you installed SP3 was the cause of
>>> all
>>> this.
>>>
>>> I'll have to refer you to MS Support at this point, Rick:
>>>
>>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
>>> "Windows
>>> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>>>
>>> Let us know how you make out, please. (I wouldn't be surprised if they
>>> recommended doing a clean install, so prepare yourself for the news.)
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Rick

Re: IE7 XP Tabs Disabled
No Idea what changed them, could be the SP3 load, not sure as I can't get
back to SP2. Everything is now working, must be some dumb luck somewhere
along the line.
Thanks