Cannot Find My Version of Windows for IE Download

IE 7 Download Novice

Cannot Find My Version of Windows for IE Download
I am on the
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...wnload-ie.aspx page, and
cannot find my version of operating system to correspond with the compatible
IE 7 download.

My Windows is Version 5.1 (Build 2500.xpsp3.050301-1526 : Service Pack 1)
for Windows XP Home Edition.

Can someone point me in the right direction of what I should select as my
operating system for the above download page?

Thank you!
IE 7 Download Novice

Re: Cannot Find My Version of Windows for IE Download
As suggested, I selected XP SP2 and when I attempted to install the new
download, I got the following error message:

- "This installation does not support your operating system's current
Service Pack version."

"Hans Le Roy" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "IE 7 Download Novice" <IE 7 Download Novice@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:2BFF96CA-7123-4654-BF23-0BD628E9F5DF@microsoft.com...
> > I am on the
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...wnload-ie.aspx page,
> > and
> > cannot find my version of operating system to correspond with the
> > compatible
> > IE 7 download.
> >
> > My Windows is Version 5.1 (Build 2500.xpsp3.050301-1526 : Service Pack 1)
> > for Windows XP Home Edition.
> >
> > Can someone point me in the right direction of what I should select as my
> > operating system for the above download page?
> >
> > Thank you!

> You should select XP SP2.
>
> Success!
>
> Hans

Bruce Hagen

Re: Cannot Find My Version of Windows for IE Download
You want to install IE8 Beta and you're running SP1? Any reason you have not
installed at least SP2 if not SP3?

You need to get at the very least SP2 and all the critical updates that
follow.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"IE 7 Download Novice" <IE 7 Download Novice@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:2BFF96CA-7123-4654-BF23-0BD628E9F5DF@microsoft.com...
>I am on the
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...wnload-ie.aspx page,
> and
> cannot find my version of operating system to correspond with the
> compatible
> IE 7 download.
>
> My Windows is Version 5.1 (Build 2500.xpsp3.050301-1526 : Service Pack 1)
> for Windows XP Home Edition.
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction of what I should select as my
> operating system for the above download page?
>
> Thank you!

IE 7 Download Novice

Re: Cannot Find My Version of Windows for IE Download
I want to install IE7 and not IE8 Beta. I have not installed SP2 or SP3
because my computer was crashing. Given my version of Windows, what should I
do?

Can someone point me to the links and precise steps I should take? As
indicated in my Display Name, I am a novice. Thank you!

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

> You want to install IE8 Beta and you're running SP1? Any reason you have not
> installed at least SP2 if not SP3?
>
> You need to get at the very least SP2 and all the critical updates that
> follow.
> --
>
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP Outlook Express
> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "IE 7 Download Novice" <IE 7 Download Novice@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:2BFF96CA-7123-4654-BF23-0BD628E9F5DF@microsoft.com...
> >I am on the
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...wnload-ie.aspx page,
> > and
> > cannot find my version of operating system to correspond with the
> > compatible
> > IE 7 download.
> >
> > My Windows is Version 5.1 (Build 2500.xpsp3.050301-1526 : Service Pack 1)
> > for Windows XP Home Edition.
> >
> > Can someone point me in the right direction of what I should select as my
> > operating system for the above download page?
> >
> > Thank you!

Jim

Re: Cannot Find My Version of Windows for IE Download

"IE 7 Download Novice" <IE 7 Download Novice@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:2BFF96CA-7123-4654-BF23-0BD628E9F5DF@microsoft.com...
>I am on the
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...wnload-ie.aspx page,
> and
> cannot find my version of operating system to correspond with the
> compatible
> IE 7 download.
>
> My Windows is Version 5.1 (Build 2500.xpsp3.050301-1526 : Service Pack 1)
> for Windows XP Home Edition.
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction of what I should select as my
> operating system for the above download page?
>
> Thank you!

There is something strange about the string. At one place it says "xpsp3"
and at the other place it says "Service Pack 1"
My XP Pro system says Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254:
Service Pack 2)
I would guess that you are looking for IE7 for XP SP1. But....
Jim

IE 7 Download Novice

Re: Cannot Find My Version of Windows for IE Download
I copied verbatim what my winver popup indicated: Version 5.1 (Build
2500.xpsp3.050301-1526 : Service Pack 1) for Windows XP Home Edition.

I tried both versions: Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and Windows XP Pro
x64 Edition. Neither toggled operating system selection, gives me the
download version that is able to install automatically. Each time I attempt
to install, I get an error message.

"Jim" wrote:

> "IE 7 Download Novice" <IE 7 Download Novice@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:2BFF96CA-7123-4654-BF23-0BD628E9F5DF@microsoft.com...
> >I am on the
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...wnload-ie.aspx page,
> > and
> > cannot find my version of operating system to correspond with the
> > compatible
> > IE 7 download.
> >
> > My Windows is Version 5.1 (Build 2500.xpsp3.050301-1526 : Service Pack 1)
> > for Windows XP Home Edition.
> >
> > Can someone point me in the right direction of what I should select as my
> > operating system for the above download page?
> >
> > Thank you!

> There is something strange about the string. At one place it says "xpsp3"
> and at the other place it says "Service Pack 1"
> My XP Pro system says Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254:
> Service Pack 2)
> I would guess that you are looking for IE7 for XP SP1. But....
> Jim

Bruce Hagen

Re: Cannot Find My Version of Windows for IE Download
You can't get IE7 unless you have SP2 or higher. You can't get SP3 unless
you have SP1A or SP2 installed.

Click Download and Save it to a folder or Desktop. Close all programs and
turn off your ant-virus before you install.

Service Pack 2 for XP:

The advice in the first two links apply to SP2 as well.

Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3:
http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/950717

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 here:

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"IE 7 Download Novice" <IE7DownloadNovice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:0D92B533-07B0-47CE-B263-23390B5D09B9@microsoft.com...
>I want to install IE7 and not IE8 Beta. I have not installed SP2 or SP3
> because my computer was crashing. Given my version of Windows, what
> should I
> do?
>
> Can someone point me to the links and precise steps I should take? As
> indicated in my Display Name, I am a novice. Thank you!
>
> "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
>
>> You want to install IE8 Beta and you're running SP1? Any reason you have
>> not
>> installed at least SP2 if not SP3?
>>
>> You need to get at the very least SP2 and all the critical updates that
>> follow.
>> --
>>
>> Bruce Hagen
>> MS-MVP Outlook Express
>> Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "IE 7 Download Novice" <IE 7 Download Novice@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>> >I am on the
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...wnload-ie.aspx
>> > page,
>> > and
>> > cannot find my version of operating system to correspond with the
>> > compatible
>> > IE 7 download.
>> >
>> > My Windows is Version 5.1 (Build 2500.xpsp3.050301-1526 : Service Pack
>> > 1)
>> > for Windows XP Home Edition.
>> >
>> > Can someone point me in the right direction of what I should select as
>> > my
>> > operating system for the above download page?
>> >
>> > Thank you!

Re: Cannot Find My Version of Windows for IE Download
Get your computer fixed first. If necessary, format & reinstall Windows.
(A Repair Install will NOT help!)

If you're running WinXP SP1, then get SP3 installed (you will have to
download/install it manually), then get all post-SP3 security updates
installed.

At that point, you can download/install IE7.

Required reading IMHO before installing IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP!
(ignore any references to Vista)

And I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Alternately, use this Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

What's New in Internet Explorer 7

Release Notes
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

IE 7 Download Novice wrote:
> I want to install IE7 and not IE8 Beta. I have not installed SP2 or SP3
> because my computer was crashing. Given my version of Windows, what
> should
> I do?
>
> Can someone point me to the links and precise steps I should take? As
> indicated in my Display Name, I am a novice. Thank you!
>
> "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
>
>> You want to install IE8 Beta and you're running SP1? Any reason you have
>> not installed at least SP2 if not SP3?
>>
>> You need to get at the very least SP2 and all the critical updates that
>> follow.
>> --
>>
>> Bruce Hagen
>> MS-MVP Outlook Express
>> Imperial Beach, CA
>>

>> "IE 7 Download Novice" <IE 7 Download Novice@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>>> I am on the
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...wnload-ie.aspx
>>> page,
>>> and
>>> cannot find my version of operating system to correspond with the
>>> compatible
>>> IE 7 download.
>>>
>>> My Windows is Version 5.1 (Build 2500.xpsp3.050301-1526 : Service Pack
>>> 1)
>>> for Windows XP Home Edition.
>>>
>>> Can someone point me in the right direction of what I should select as
>>> my
>>> operating system for the above download page?
>>>
>>> Thank you!

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Cannot Find My Version of Windows for IE Download
You must have at least WinXP SP2!
You don't have it.

"IE 7 Download Novice" <IE7DownloadNovice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:7143F40C-AA27-4438-93E4-451CB6F21A2E@microsoft.com...

"Jim" <j.n@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "IE 7 Download Novice" <IE 7 Download Novice@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message
>>I am on the
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...wnload-ie.aspx page,
>> and
>> cannot find my version of operating system to correspond with the
>> compatible
>> IE 7 download.
>>
>> My Windows is Version 5.1 (Build 2500.xpsp3.050301-1526 : Service Pack 1)
>> for Windows XP Home Edition.
>>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction of what I should select as my
>> operating system for the above download page?
>>
>> Thank you!

> There is something strange about the string. At one place it says "xpsp3"
> and at the other place it says "Service Pack 1"
> My XP Pro system says Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254:
> Service Pack 2)
> I would guess that you are looking for IE7 for XP SP1. But....

No there isn't. It just means that he has some updates that were also a
part of SP3

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email