default browser wont stick

Keith

default browser wont stick
Have upgraded to service pack 3 , now every time I start internet explorer I
am asked to make it the default.
XP Pro , IE7 . Tried all methods I can find. Anyone help?

williamtell

RE: default browser wont stick
Keith, try clicking on Tools>Internet Options>Programs. From there you will
be able to set IE default.
--
WT

"Keith" wrote:

> Have upgraded to service pack 3 , now every time I start internet explorer I
> am asked to make it the default.
> XP Pro , IE7 . Tried all methods I can find. Anyone help?

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"Keith" <keith@invalid.net> wrote in message
> Have upgraded to service pack 3 , now every time I start internet explorer
> I am asked to make it the default.
> XP Pro , IE7 . Tried all methods I can find. Anyone help?

It might be a security program blocking the Registry change it needs to
make. A few, but not all, of the programs now doing this are:
Ad-aware's Ad-Watch
IBM Access Connections
Kaspersky
McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware
Norton AV
Spyware Blaster
Spybot> Tools> IE Tweaks
Spybot- Teatimer
Spysweeper
Spyware Doctor
Windows Defender
Zone Alarm (free) 6.5 Reported to be fixed in later versions.

In the case of Zone Alarm 6.5 or Norton 2007 it actually has to be
uninstalled. Make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on until you
reinstall Zone Alarm.

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking and try the change.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Keith

"Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Keith" <keith@invalid.net> wrote in message
>> Have upgraded to service pack 3 , now every time I start internet
>> explorer I am asked to make it the default.
>> XP Pro , IE7 . Tried all methods I can find. Anyone help?

> It might be a security program blocking the Registry change it needs to
> make. A few, but not all, of the programs now doing this are:
> Ad-aware's Ad-Watch
> IBM Access Connections
> Kaspersky
> McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware
> Norton AV
> Spyware Blaster
> Spybot> Tools> IE Tweaks
> Spybot- Teatimer
> Spysweeper
> Spyware Doctor
> Windows Defender
> Zone Alarm (free) 6.5 Reported to be fixed in later versions.
>
> In the case of Zone Alarm 6.5 or Norton 2007 it actually has to be
> uninstalled. Make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on until you
> reinstall Zone Alarm.
>
> Boot into Safe Mode with Networking and try the change.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
> Do not reply with email

Have uninstalled Spyware blaster and zone alarm 7 free ,still no go. In safe
mode I run internet options and every time IE is no longer the default.
I believe a registry key is missing, but where to look. Can I reinstall IE7
?

> "Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "Keith" <keith@invalid.net> wrote in message
>>> Have upgraded to service pack 3 , now every time I start internet
>>> explorer I am asked to make it the default.
>>> XP Pro , IE7 . Tried all methods I can find. Anyone help?

>> It might be a security program blocking the Registry change it needs to
>> make. A few, but not all, of the programs now doing this are:
>> Ad-aware's Ad-Watch
>> IBM Access Connections
>> Kaspersky
>> McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware
>> Norton AV
>> Spyware Blaster
>> Spybot> Tools> IE Tweaks
>> Spybot- Teatimer
>> Spysweeper
>> Spyware Doctor
>> Windows Defender
>> Zone Alarm (free) 6.5 Reported to be fixed in later versions.
>>
>> In the case of Zone Alarm 6.5 or Norton 2007 it actually has to be
>> uninstalled. Make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on until you
>> reinstall Zone Alarm.
>>
>> Boot into Safe Mode with Networking and try the change.
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
>> Do not reply with email

> Have uninstalled Spyware blaster and zone alarm 7 free ,still no go. In
> safe mode I run internet options and every time IE is no longer the
> default.
> I believe a registry key is missing, but where to look. Can I reinstall
> IE7 ?

Did you try Safe Mode?
I doubt if reinstalling IE7 will help, but:
Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs
Removing Windows Internet Explorer 7 returns you to IE6.

How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

Before installing IE7 see
and
http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks...18/182724.aspx
and
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#tips

Error message when you try to install Internet Explorer 7: "Internet
Explorer could not be installed"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917925

NOTE: Norton is not really uninstalled until you run this utility:

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Gary

Re: default browser wont stick
I have the same problem. Can you please tell me what registry keys I should
manually modify?

Thanks, Gary

"Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:

> "Keith" <keith@invalid.net> wrote in message
> >

> > "Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> "Keith" <keith@invalid.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> It might be a security program blocking the Registry change it needs to
> >> make. A few, but not all, of the programs now doing this are:
> >> Ad-aware's Ad-Watch
> >> IBM Access Connections
> >> Kaspersky
> >> McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware
> >> Norton AV
> >> Spyware Blaster
> >> Spybot> Tools> IE Tweaks
> >> Spybot- Teatimer
> >> Spysweeper
> >> Spyware Doctor
> >> Windows Defender
> >> Zone Alarm (free) 6.5 Reported to be fixed in later versions.
> >>
> >> In the case of Zone Alarm 6.5 or Norton 2007 it actually has to be
> >> uninstalled. Make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on until you
> >> reinstall Zone Alarm.
> >>
> >> Boot into Safe Mode with Networking and try the change.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
> >> Do not reply with email

> > Have uninstalled Spyware blaster and zone alarm 7 free ,still no go. In
> > safe mode I run internet options and every time IE is no longer the
> > default.
> > I believe a registry key is missing, but where to look. Can I reinstall
> > IE7 ?

> Did you try Safe Mode?
> I doubt if reinstalling IE7 will help, but:
> Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs
> Removing Windows Internet Explorer 7 returns you to IE6.
>
> How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
>
> Before installing IE7 see
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install
> and
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks...18/182724.aspx
> and
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#tips
>
> Error message when you try to install Internet Explorer 7: "Internet
> Explorer could not be installed"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917925
>
> NOTE: Norton is not really uninstalled until you run this utility:
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039
>
> --
> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
> Do not reply with email

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: default browser wont stick
You can't manually modify the appropriate Registry settings until you turn
off the blocking program(s).