IE7 has become upset about something

Leroy

IE7 has become upset about something
My IE is behaving erratically: sometimes it recognizes an unknown problem and
announces a shut down. And sometimes it will immediately shut down and
sometimes it won't; but instead momentarily flashes a blank screen followed
by the internet page I've selected.

This happens repeatedly on some days and none at all on others. Today it is
provoked ONLY when I am in Gmail. And in fact I was shut down a few times
yesterday while trying to send Gmail messages.

ISP has checked at its end and finds nothing wrong with connections. I've
reviewed my LavaSoft firewall data, but, alas, I am unable to understand the
logs.
The shutdown error:

AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 7.0.6000.16705 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00011639
C:\DOCUME~1\LeRoy\CONFIG~1\Temp\1d62_appcompat.txt

A search for this document on my HD proves negative.

I have IE7 with WinXP-Sp2; self-standing Word 2003 (No Office). Lots of
memory space.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE7 has become upset about something
"Leroy" <Leroy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My IE is behaving erratically: sometimes it recognizes an unknown problem and
> announces a shut down. And sometimes it will immediately shut down and
> sometimes it won't; but instead momentarily flashes a blank screen followed
> by the internet page I've selected.
>
> This happens repeatedly on some days and none at all on others. Today it is
> provoked ONLY when I am in Gmail. And in fact I was shut down a few times
> yesterday while trying to send Gmail messages.
>
> ISP has checked at its end and finds nothing wrong with connections. I've
> reviewed my LavaSoft firewall data, but, alas, I am unable to understand the
> logs.
> The shutdown error:
>
> AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 7.0.6000.16705 ModName: ntdll.dll
> ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00011639

> C:\DOCUME~1\LeRoy\CONFIG~1\Temp\1d62_appcompat.txt

I usually like to see a Stack Back Trace related to a crash (e.g. as found
in drwtsn32.log after the FAULT -> line) but I suppose you might find
similar clues in that appcompat.txt file. What you would be looking for
in each case are references to third-party modules which could be interfering
with the calling sequence. Crashes in low-level modules such as ntdll.dll
are probably almost always due to bad calls and not errors in such fundamental
code itself.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> A search for this document on my HD proves negative.
>
> I have IE7 with WinXP-Sp2; self-standing Word 2003 (No Office). Lots of
> memory space.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: IE7 has become upset about something
"Leroy" <Leroy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My IE is behaving erratically: sometimes it recognizes an unknown problem
> and
> announces a shut down. And sometimes it will immediately shut down and
> sometimes it won't; but instead momentarily flashes a blank screen
> followed
> by the internet page I've selected.
>
> This happens repeatedly on some days and none at all on others. Today it
> is
> provoked ONLY when I am in Gmail. And in fact I was shut down a few times
> yesterday while trying to send Gmail messages.
>
> ISP has checked at its end and finds nothing wrong with connections. I've
> reviewed my LavaSoft firewall data, but, alas, I am unable to understand
> the
> logs.
> The shutdown error:
>
> AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 7.0.6000.16705 ModName: ntdll.dll
> ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00011639
> C:\DOCUME~1\LeRoy\CONFIG~1\Temp\1d62_appcompat.txt
>
> A search for this document on my HD proves negative.
>
> I have IE7 with WinXP-Sp2; self-standing Word 2003 (No Office). Lots of
> memory space.

I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
article first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

You might also try the steps here:
"Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Leroy

Re: IE7 has become upset about something
Frank, after a few days of working on your suggestions without result, I come
to the conclusion that that there is really NO solution.

IE7 crashes several times a day, and a web search shows that this is quite
common among a great many users, who, like me, can't find out what is going
on.

That said, I feel I'll have to try something different.