Cannot post question at Microsoft-sponsored Vista newsgroup.

gahoman

Cannot post question at Microsoft-sponsored Vista newsgroup.
I need help accessing the Vista newsgroups sponsored by Microsoft
(http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...s/default.mspx).
After I login, I attempt to post a new message. When I click “New” a dropdown
menu appears with:
Question
Suggestion for Microsoft
General Comment

I click on “Question” and a new Internet Explorer window opens, but instead
of the form to post a new message, the same window appears. So I now have two
identical windows for whatever newsgroup I have accessed. There is no way I
can post my message.

I can’t figure out how to contact MS Support to report the problem I having
with their website without paying $60.

It’s not a general problem with the website, because other users are posting
messages.

I do not have pop-ups blocked. I have tried holding down the Control key. I
have made the URL a Trusted Site. I have deleted temporary Internet files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Cannot post question at Microsoft-sponsored Vista newsgroup.
"gahoman" <gahoman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need help accessing the Vista newsgroups sponsored by Microsoft
> (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...s/default.mspx).

See if using an alternative site for your newsgroup will work better for you:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US

(I have drilled down to Vista General for you to open all the appropriate
menus.)

BTW are you aware that your Windows Mail app is usable for this task too?

E.g. copy the following link to your Address bar and enter it:

Before posting you may have to customize the news account
that will create in your Windows Mail.

Good lcuk

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> After I login, I attempt to post a new message. When I click “New” a dropdown
> menu appears with:
> Question
> Suggestion for Microsoft
> General Comment
>
> I click on “Question” and a new Internet Explorer window opens, but instead
> of the form to post a new message, the same window appears. So I now have two
> identical windows for whatever newsgroup I have accessed. There is no way I
> can post my message.
>
> I can’t figure out how to contact MS Support to report the problem I having
> with their website without paying $60.
>
> It’s not a general problem with the website, because other users are posting
> messages.
>
> I do not have pop-ups blocked. I have tried holding down the Control key. I
> have made the URL a Trusted Site. I have deleted temporary Internet files.

gahoman

Re: Cannot post question at Microsoft-sponsored Vista newsgroup.
I'm the author of the original Question. Robert's suggestion to try an
alternative link to the newsgroup worked fine. So my problem is solved.
Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any ideas why the message window did
not pop up at the original page? Thanks.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "gahoman" <gahoman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I need help accessing the Vista newsgroups sponsored by Microsoft
> > (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...s/default.mspx).

> See if using an alternative site for your newsgroup will work better for you:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US
>
> (I have drilled down to Vista General for you to open all the appropriate
> menus.)
>
> BTW are you aware that your Windows Mail app is usable for this task too?
>
> E.g. copy the following link to your Address bar and enter it:

> Before posting you may have to customize the news account
> that will create in your Windows Mail.
>

> Good lcuk
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

> > After I login, I attempt to post a new message. When I click “New” a dropdown
> > menu appears with:
> > Question
> > Suggestion for Microsoft
> > General Comment
> >
> > I click on “Question” and a new Internet Explorer window opens, but instead
> > of the form to post a new message, the same window appears. So I now have two
> > identical windows for whatever newsgroup I have accessed. There is no way I
> > can post my message.
> >
> > I can’t figure out how to contact MS Support to report the problem I having
> > with their website without paying $60.
> >
> > It’s not a general problem with the website, because other users are posting
> > messages.
> >
> > I do not have pop-ups blocked. I have tried holding down the Control key. I
> > have made the URL a Trusted Site. I have deleted temporary Internet files.

Re: Cannot post question at Microsoft-sponsored Vista newsgroup.
Access the Vista newsgroups in your default newsreader (e.g., Windows Mail;
Windows Live Mail) instead.

Setting up Windows Mail (Vista) to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/mi...-windows-mail/

Click on any of the following links to open the newsgroup in your default
newsreader:

news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof...ctures_vide o
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsof..._mainten ance
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

gahoman wrote:
> (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...s/default.mspx).
> After I login, I attempt to post a new message. When I click “New” a
> dropdown menu appears with:
> Question
> Suggestion for Microsoft
> General Comment
>
> I click on “Question” and a new Internet Explorer window opens, but
> instead
> of the form to post a new message, the same window appears. So I now have
> two identical windows for whatever newsgroup I have accessed. There is no
> way I can post my message.
>
> I can’t figure out how to contact MS Support to report the problem I
> having
> with their website without paying $60.
>
> It’s not a general problem with the website, because other users are
> posting
> messages.
>
> I do not have pop-ups blocked. I have tried holding down the Control key.
> have made the URL a Trusted Site. I have deleted temporary Internet files.

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

Re: Cannot post question at Microsoft-sponsored Vista newsgroup.
those communities that are front-ends for nntp newsgroups are wonky.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

> I'm the author of the original Question. Robert's suggestion to try an
> alternative link to the newsgroup worked fine. So my problem is solved.
> Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any ideas why the message window
> did
> not pop up at the original page? Thanks.
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
>> "gahoman" <gahoman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I need help accessing the Vista newsgroups sponsored by Microsoft
>> > (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...s/default.mspx).

>> See if using an alternative site for your newsgroup will work better for
>> you:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US
>>
>> (I have drilled down to Vista General for you to open all the
>> appropriate
>> menus.)
>>
>> BTW are you aware that your Windows Mail app is usable for this task
>> too?
>>
>> E.g. copy the following link to your Address bar and enter it:

>> Before posting you may have to customize the news account
>> that will create in your Windows Mail.
>>

>> Good lcuk
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---
>>

>> > After I login, I attempt to post a new message. When I click ?oNew?
>> > a dropdown
>> > menu appears with:
>> > Question
>> > Suggestion for Microsoft
>> > General Comment
>> >
>> > I click on ?oQuestion? and a new Internet Explorer window opens, but
>> > instead
>> > of the form to post a new message, the same window appears. So I now
>> > have two
>> > identical windows for whatever newsgroup I have accessed. There is no
>> > way I
>> > can post my message.
>> >
>> > I can?Tt figure out how to contact MS Support to report the problem I
>> > having
>> > with their website without paying $60.
>> >
>> > It?Ts not a general problem with the website, because other users are
>> > posting
>> > messages.
>> >
>> > I do not have pop-ups blocked. I have tried holding down the Control
>> > key. I
>> > have made the URL a Trusted Site. I have deleted temporary Internet
>> > files.
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

N. Miller

"gahoman" wrote:

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> > "gahoman" <gahoman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > >I need help accessing the Vista newsgroups sponsored by Microsoft
> > > (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...s/default.mspx).

> > See if using an alternative site for your newsgroup will work better for you:
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US
> >
> > (I have drilled down to Vista General for you to open all the appropriate
> > menus.)
> >
> > BTW are you aware that your Windows Mail app is usable for this task too?
> >
> > E.g. copy the following link to your Address bar and enter it:

> > Before posting you may have to customize the news account
> > that will create in your Windows Mail.

> I'm the author of the original Question. Robert's suggestion to try an
> alternative link to the newsgroup worked fine. So my problem is solved.
> Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any ideas why the message window did
> not pop up at the original page?

No clue. However, when I drill down through the Favorites links in my
default install of MSIE 7, the "Reply" button pops up a proper compose windwo
set up to reply. Probably has to do with scripting permissions on the page.

P.S. I usually us 40tude Dialog to post replys, not the web browser.

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,