Installation of IE 8 beta 2 blocked

mhenriday

Installation of IE 8 beta 2 blocked
Downloading IE 8 beta 2 to my Windows Vista (Business) setup was no problem,
but when I attempted to install the browser I received a message to the
effect that I first had to remove the earlier version of IE 8 (beta 1) from
the computer. I have not found any way to do so. As the earlier version does
not work satisfactorily - it crashes every time I attempt to load it - I
should very much like to update it. The odd thing here was that I had no
difficulty whatever in downloading and installing IE 8 beta 2 to my Windows
XP setup, and it seems upon cursory examination to be working quite well.
Grateful for any suggestions which might resolve my difficulty with IE 8 beta
2 on Vista....

Henri

Re: Installation of IE 8 beta 2 blocked
See
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...-8-beta-2.aspx
and/or the Release Notes (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949787).

Free unlimited installation and usage support is available for Internet
Explorer 8 pre-released versions, but only for North America English
customers. This support for Internet Explorer 8 pre-released versions is
valid until 01 November 2008. See
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?prid=12357

IE Beta Public Newsgroup Support: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta

Via the web-interface:

Via your newsreader:

[Yes, I understand that the link you used probably brought you to IE General
newsgroup. That needs to be fixed.]
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

mhenriday wrote:
> Downloading IE 8 beta 2 to my Windows Vista (Business) setup was no
> problem,
> but when I attempted to install the browser I received a message to the
> effect that I first had to remove the earlier version of IE 8 (beta 1)
> from
> the computer. I have not found any way to do so. As the earlier version
> does
> not work satisfactorily - it crashes every time I attempt to load it - I
> should very much like to update it. The odd thing here was that I had no
> difficulty whatever in downloading and installing IE 8 beta 2 to my
> Windows
> XP setup, and it seems upon cursory examination to be working quite well.
> Grateful for any suggestions which might resolve my difficulty with IE 8
> beta 2 on Vista....
>
> Henri

Peter Foldes

Re: Installation of IE 8 beta 2 blocked
IE8 Beta Newsgroups.

In Your Newsreader:

In The Web Interface:

Peter

"mhenriday" <mhenriday@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7EA48DD2-CBA4-436A-BFBE-5C8128455125@microsoft.com...
> Downloading IE 8 beta 2 to my Windows Vista (Business) setup was no problem,
> but when I attempted to install the browser I received a message to the
> effect that I first had to remove the earlier version of IE 8 (beta 1) from
> the computer. I have not found any way to do so. As the earlier version does
> not work satisfactorily - it crashes every time I attempt to load it - I
> should very much like to update it. The odd thing here was that I had no
> difficulty whatever in downloading and installing IE 8 beta 2 to my Windows
> XP setup, and it seems upon cursory examination to be working quite well.
> Grateful for any suggestions which might resolve my difficulty with IE 8 beta
> 2 on Vista....
>
> Henri

Re: Installation of IE 8 beta 2 blocked
Peter, please understand that some of the links for IE8 Beta Support still
point to IE General. Hopefully, all links will have been corrected and have
populated on all servers worldwise soon.
--
~Robear

Peter Foldes wrote:
> IE8 Beta Newsgroups.
>
> In Your Newsreader:
>
> In The Web Interface:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xplorer. beta

Peter Foldes

Re: Installation of IE 8 beta 2 blocked
I will add the following next time Robear

Microsoft Help & Support and MS IE8 Home Page direct IE8 Beta users to the
wrong newsgroup. The new newsgroup for IE8 is at the following link

Thanks

--
Peter

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:u2LrO3tCJHA.3268@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Peter, please understand that some of the links for IE8 Beta Support still
> point to IE General. Hopefully, all links will have been corrected and have
> populated on all servers worldwise soon.
> --
> ~Robear
>
> Peter Foldes wrote:
>> IE8 Beta Newsgroups.
>>
>> In Your Newsreader:
>>
>> In The Web Interface:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xplorer. beta

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Installation of IE 8 beta 2 blocked
"mhenriday" <mhenriday@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Downloading IE 8 beta 2 to my Windows Vista (Business) setup was no problem,
> but when I attempted to install the browser I received a message to the
> effect that I first had to remove the earlier version of IE 8 (beta 1) from
> the computer. I have not found any way to do so.

You probably installed a service pack for your OS after that,
so you would then have to uninstall that before you could see
the version of IE that you had installed.

> As the earlier version does
> not work satisfactorily - it crashes every time I attempt to load it - I
> should very much like to update it.

Why would you leave it installed then and add a service pack on top of it? ; }

> The odd thing here was that I had no
> difficulty whatever in downloading and installing IE 8 beta 2 to my Windows
> XP setup, and it seems upon cursory examination to be working quite well.

You would have noticed the same symptom if you had installed XPsp3
over IE8b1. ; )

> Grateful for any suggestions which might resolve my difficulty with IE 8 beta
> 2 on Vista....
>
> Henri

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

mhenriday

Re: Installation of IE 8 beta 2 blocked
Thank you, PA Bear ; it was the suggestion on your first link above to, in
the Control Panel → Programs and Features, click «View installed updates»,
which I had neglected to do and which allowed me to find the previous beta
version of IE and delete it, thus permitting a successful installation of IE
beta 2, which on cursory examination, seems to work well (in
contradistinction to the previous beta)....

Thanks again !

Henri

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> See
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...-8-beta-2.aspx
> and/or the Release Notes (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949787).
>
> Free unlimited installation and usage support is available for Internet
> Explorer 8 pre-released versions, but only for North America English
> customers. This support for Internet Explorer 8 pre-released versions is
> valid until 01 November 2008. See
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?prid=12357
>
> IE Beta Public Newsgroup Support: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta
>
> Via the web-interface:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xplorer. beta
>
> Via your newsreader:
>
> [Yes, I understand that the link you used probably brought you to IE General
> newsgroup. That needs to be fixed.]
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> mhenriday wrote:
> > Downloading IE 8 beta 2 to my Windows Vista (Business) setup was no
> > problem,
> > but when I attempted to install the browser I received a message to the
> > effect that I first had to remove the earlier version of IE 8 (beta 1)
> > from
> > the computer. I have not found any way to do so. As the earlier version
> > does
> > not work satisfactorily - it crashes every time I attempt to load it - I
> > should very much like to update it. The odd thing here was that I had no
> > difficulty whatever in downloading and installing IE 8 beta 2 to my
> > Windows
> > XP setup, and it seems upon cursory examination to be working quite well.
> > Grateful for any suggestions which might resolve my difficulty with IE 8
> > beta 2 on Vista....
> >
> > Henri

Matthew