RE: Tools > Internet Options Problem - FIX

Steve J

RE: Tools > Internet Options Problem - FIX
My problem with Internet Options is that when I click to select it, I get the
message that "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect
on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." This is a home
computer running XP Home Edition and I am the only user. I uninstalled
Windows Expplorer 7, then reinstalled it. I still have the same problem.
Any ideas? Thanks.

"Kimberly" wrote:

> Yes it works. The problem is with the inetcpl.cpl file that Microsoft
> updated on my computer. In short here are the instructions for dealing with
> the inetcpl.cpl file:
>
> Copy File From C:\WINDOWS\ie7\inetcpl.cpl
> Copy File To C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetcpl.cpl
>
> The copy From file is 350 KB; it will replace the 1775 KB file.
>

> "Kimberly" wrote:
>
> > I'm having the same problem. I haven't installed anything new. I suspect is
> > was a Microsoft auto upgrade that created this problem.
> >
> > "Bobby Z" wrote:
> >
> > > I can no longer select Tools > Internet Options in IE7. When I try, there is
> > > just a real quick flash and nothing appears. Also, the phishing filter is no
> > > longer able to check any websites.
> > >
> > > Runnings Windows XP Version 2002 SP2

Gordon

"Steve J" <Steve J@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My problem with Internet Options is that when I click to select it, I get
> the
> message that "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in
> effect
> on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." This is a
> home
> computer running XP Home Edition and I am the only user. I uninstalled
> Windows Expplorer 7, then reinstalled it. I still have the same problem.
> Any ideas? Thanks.

Try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216583

Re: Tools > Internet Options Problem - FIX
Start your own thread about /your/ problem?

Steve J wrote:
> My problem with Internet Options is that when I click to select it, I get
> the message that "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in
> effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." This
> is a home computer running XP Home Edition and I am the only user. I
> uninstalled Windows Expplorer 7, then reinstalled it. I still have the
> same problem. Any ideas? Thanks.
>
> "Kimberly" wrote:
>
>> Yes it works. The problem is with the inetcpl.cpl file that Microsoft
>> updated on my computer. In short here are the instructions for dealing
>> with the inetcpl.cpl file:
>>
>> Copy File From C:\WINDOWS\ie7\inetcpl.cpl
>> Copy File To C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetcpl.cpl
>>
>> The copy From file is 350 KB; it will replace the 1775 KB file.
>>

>> "Kimberly" wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having the same problem. I haven't installed anything new. I
>>> suspect is was a Microsoft auto upgrade that created this problem.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Tools > Internet Options Problem - FIX
It might be a security program blocking the Registry change it needs to
make. A few, but not all, of the programs now doing this are:
Ad-aware's Ad-Watch
IBM Access Connections
Kaspersky
McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware
Norton AV
Spyware Blaster
Spybot> Tools> IE Tweaks
Spybot- Teatimer
Spysweeper
Spyware Doctor
Windows Defender
Zone Alarm (free) 6.5 Reported to be fixed in later versions.

In the case of Zone Alarm 6.5 or Norton 2007 it actually has to be
uninstalled. Make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on until you
reinstall Zone Alarm.

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking and try the change.