Ie7 cannot open; google.com homepage

David

Ie7 cannot open; google.com homepage
On 8/14, I started getting the message: Internet Explorer cannot open the
internet site http://www.google.com when I try to open my google home page.
If I log out, the google search page is OK. As soon as I log into my custom
home page, the error message pops-up.

I am using xp and did all the updates on 8/13. I also updated .Net
Framework on 8/13. This included 3.5 SP1.

I have searched for a fix. The answers point to an IE JavaScript problem
that is fixed in IE8 and does not happen in FF.

Is there a way to fix this without installing IE8 or FF?

David

Re: Ie7 cannot open; google.com homepage
Full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; WinXP SP3)?

1. Enable a blank home page, close IE, and reboot.

2. Open IE to www.google.com

3. Select "Use current" as home page & close IE.

4. Open IE & test.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

David wrote:
> On 8/14, I started getting the message: Internet Explorer cannot open the
> internet site http://www.google.com when I try to open my google home
> page.
> If I log out, the google search page is OK. As soon as I log into my
> custom
> home page, the error message pops-up.
>

> I am using xp and did all the updates on 8/13. I also updated .Net
> Framework on 8/13. This included 3.5 SP1.
>

> I have searched for a fix. The answers point to an IE JavaScript problem
> that is fixed in IE8 and does not happen in FF.
>

> Is there a way to fix this without installing IE8 or FF?
>

> David

David

Re: Ie7 cannot open; google.com homepage
WinXP SP3 full updates; IE7 Full updates.

I did steps 1 through 4. My google homepage opened without the error, but
the error came back when the home page was refreshed either manually or when
google did it automatically.

David

> Full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; WinXP SP3)?
>
> 1. Enable a blank home page, close IE, and reboot.
>
> 2. Open IE to www.google.com
>
> 3. Select "Use current" as home page & close IE.
>
> 4. Open IE & test.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>

> David wrote:
>> On 8/14, I started getting the message: Internet Explorer cannot open the
>> internet site http://www.google.com when I try to open my google home
>> page.
>> If I log out, the google search page is OK. As soon as I log into my
>> custom
>> home page, the error message pops-up.
>>

>> I am using xp and did all the updates on 8/13. I also updated .Net
>> Framework on 8/13. This included 3.5 SP1.
>>

>> I have searched for a fix. The answers point to an IE JavaScript problem
>> that is fixed in IE8 and does not happen in FF.
>>

>> Is there a way to fix this without installing IE8 or FF?
>>

>> David

Re: Ie7 cannot open; google.com homepage
=> Is your Google home page the default (Classic) page or a customized
iGoogle page?

=> Are you getting a "Page cannot be displayed" error?

=> Are you on dial-up and is a "web accelerator" installed?

=> Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3? If the latter, did you have
this problem before SP3 was installed?

=> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
(if any)?

=> Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
or

2. Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

=> Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

David wrote:
> WinXP SP3 full updates; IE7 Full updates.
>
> I did steps 1 through 4. My google homepage opened without the error, but
> the error came back when the home page was refreshed either manually or
> when
> google did it automatically.
>
> David

>> Full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; WinXP SP3)?
>>
>> 1. Enable a blank home page, close IE, and reboot.
>>
>> 2. Open IE to www.google.com
>>
>> 3. Select "Use current" as home page & close IE.
>>
>> 4. Open IE & test.
>>
>> David wrote:
>>> On 8/14, I started getting the message: Internet Explorer cannot open
>>> the
>>> internet site http://www.google.com when I try to open my google home
>>> page.
>>> If I log out, the google search page is OK. As soon as I log into my
>>> custom
>>> home page, the error message pops-up.
>>>

>>> I am using xp and did all the updates on 8/13. I also updated .Net
>>> Framework on 8/13. This included 3.5 SP1.
>>>

>>> I have searched for a fix. The answers point to an IE JavaScript
>>> problem
>>> that is fixed in IE8 and does not happen in FF.
>>>

>>> Is there a way to fix this without installing IE8 or FF?
>>>

>>> David

David

Re: Ie7 cannot open; google.com homepage
Yahoo is my homepage. I use a custom google page as a second homepage.
This configuration has worked for over a year, first with IE6 and then IE7.
When I installed SP3, I upgraded to IE7. SP3 was installed on 2/24/08.
Since IE7, the Yahoo and Google pages are separate tabs. I have not had a
problem until 8/14. The only S/W installed before the "cannot open" error
was the Microsoft update that I did on 8/13. Google Classic does not give
the error; only the custom page has the error.

I use avast, winxp firewall, and defender.

IE start without add-ons gives the same result.

After reading KB923737, I am holding off on RIES.

David

>=> Is your Google home page the default (Classic) page or a customized
>iGoogle page?
>
> => Are you getting a "Page cannot be displayed" error?
>
> => Are you on dial-up and is a "web accelerator" installed?
>
> => Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3? If the latter, did you
> have this problem before SP3 was installed?
>
> => What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
> firewall (if any)?
>
> => Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
> start IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>
> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> Add-ons; or
>
> 2. Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
> (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:
>
> => Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> David wrote:
>> WinXP SP3 full updates; IE7 Full updates.
>>
>> I did steps 1 through 4. My google homepage opened without the error,
>> but
>> the error came back when the home page was refreshed either manually or
>> when
>> google did it automatically.
>>
>> David

>>> Full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; WinXP SP3)?
>>>
>>> 1. Enable a blank home page, close IE, and reboot.
>>>
>>> 2. Open IE to www.google.com
>>>
>>> 3. Select "Use current" as home page & close IE.
>>>
>>> 4. Open IE & test.

Re: Ie7 cannot open; google.com homepage
I'm afraid cryptic answers aren't going to help either of us, David.

What is this "custom google page" to which you refer? Is Yahoo and/or
Google toolbar installed?

WinXP SP3 was still in beta on 24 Feb-08; it wasn't released until the first
week of May-08.

More than a dozen Windows Updates were released on 12 Aug-08. [1] What
updates did you install on 13 Aug-08, other than .NET Framework 3.5 SP1?

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-aug.mspx

=======================================

Since your issues apparently started after installing these updates, I'd
recommend that you...

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

David wrote:
> Yahoo is my homepage. I use a custom google page as a second homepage.
> This configuration has worked for over a year, first with IE6 and then
> IE7.
> When I installed SP3, I upgraded to IE7. SP3 was installed on 2/24/08.
> Since IE7, the Yahoo and Google pages are separate tabs. I have not had a
> problem until 8/14. The only S/W installed before the "cannot open" error
> was the Microsoft update that I did on 8/13. Google Classic does not give
> the error; only the custom page has the error.
>
> I use avast, winxp firewall, and defender.
>
> IE start without add-ons gives the same result.
>
> After reading KB923737, I am holding off on RIES.
>
>> => Is your Google home page the default (Classic) page or a customized
>> iGoogle page?
>>
>> => Are you getting a "Page cannot be displayed" error?
>>
>> => Are you on dial-up and is a "web accelerator" installed?
>>
>> => Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3? If the latter, did you
>> have this problem before SP3 was installed?
>>
>> => What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
>> firewall (if any)?
>>
>> => Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or
>>
>> 2. Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet
>> Explorer
>> (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>
>> => Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> David wrote:
>>> WinXP SP3 full updates; IE7 Full updates.
>>>
>>> I did steps 1 through 4. My google homepage opened without the error,
>>> but
>>> the error came back when the home page was refreshed either manually or
>>> when
>>> google did it automatically.
>>>
>>> David

David

Re: Ie7 cannot open; google.com homepage
PA Bear, Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into starting a support
incident request.

David

> [...]
>>>
>>> => Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3? If the latter, did you
>>> have this problem before SP3 was installed?
>>>
>>> => What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
>>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
>>> firewall (if any)?
>>>
>>> => Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
>>> start IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>>>
>>> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>>> Add-ons; or
>>>
>>> 2. Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet
>>> Explorer
>>> (No add-ons).
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>>>
>>> => Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

WLStinson

Re: Ie7 cannot open; google.com homepage
Hello,
I have a co-worker that just had this issue. After applying all the
updates, we still had the issue. Had him go into Tools Internet options and
then advance and
click to reset all that is listed there. As of this moment the issue has
not re-appeared. Hope this may help.

Wayne

"David" wrote:

> PA Bear, Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into starting a support
> incident request.
>
> David

> > I'm afraid cryptic answers aren't going to help either of us, David.
> >
> > What is this "custom google page" to which you refer? Is Yahoo and/or
> > Google toolbar installed?
> >
> > WinXP SP3 was still in beta on 24 Feb-08; it wasn't released until the
> > first week of May-08.
> >
> > More than a dozen Windows Updates were released on 12 Aug-08. [1] What
> > updates did you install on 13 Aug-08, other than .NET Framework 3.5 SP1?
> >
> > [1] http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms08-aug.mspx
> >
> > =======================================
> >
> > Since your issues apparently started after installing these updates, I'd
> > recommend that you...
> >
> > Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> > https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >
> > Support for Windows Update:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> >
> > For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> > in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> > subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
> > security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
> > related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
> > KB123456).
> >
> > For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary
> > for security update support issues, visit the International Support Web
> > site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
> >
> > For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> > through your usual support contacts.
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
> >
> > David wrote:
> >> Yahoo is my homepage. I use a custom google page as a second homepage.
> >> This configuration has worked for over a year, first with IE6 and then
> >> IE7.
> >> When I installed SP3, I upgraded to IE7. SP3 was installed on 2/24/08.
> >> Since IE7, the Yahoo and Google pages are separate tabs. I have not had
> >> problem until 8/14. The only S/W installed before the "cannot open"
> >> error
> >> was the Microsoft update that I did on 8/13. Google Classic does not
> >> give
> >> the error; only the custom page has the error.
> >>
> >> I use avast, winxp firewall, and defender.
> >>
> >> IE start without add-ons gives the same result.
> >>
> >> After reading KB923737, I am holding off on RIES.

Albecool

RE: Ie7 cannot open; google.com homepage
Having the same problem here, any resolution to this yet?

"David" wrote:

> On 8/14, I started getting the message: Internet Explorer cannot open the
> internet site http://www.google.com when I try to open my google home page.
> If I log out, the google search page is OK. As soon as I log into my custom
> home page, the error message pops-up.
>

> I am using xp and did all the updates on 8/13. I also updated .Net
> Framework on 8/13. This included 3.5 SP1.
>

> I have searched for a fix. The answers point to an IE JavaScript problem
> that is fixed in IE8 and does not happen in FF.
>

> Is there a way to fix this without installing IE8 or FF?
>

> David

David

Re: Ie7 cannot open; google.com homepage
The problem is due to some JavaScript problem between ie and igoogle custom
page. If you go to ie, tools, internet options, security, select internet,
click custom level, scroll down to scripting and change active scripting to
disable, the personal google page should open. My page has a yellow message
that says that scripting should be enabled to display the page. The finance
block is empty. No stock info is displayed.

David